Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Patton Echols

Default Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?

On 03/03/2009 04:33 PM, Robert Parker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
>> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications I seem
>> to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
>>
>> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
>> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
>> printing something.
>>

> sudo apt-get install imagemagick

Imagemagick is a great set of tools, but not what OP is asking for. And
having explored the "Convert" command a bit, I can say it would be
easier for OP to fire up GIMP to do what he wants. convert would be
great if you wanted to clip As I understand it, the idea is to be
looking at an image, select some arbitrary part of the image with a
mouse, click "Print" and having the option to print the entire image or
just the selection.

GThumb was mentioned but, at least in my implementation requires that
you save the cropped file then open it. Otherwise the print command
prints the entire image. F-Spot photo viewer will allow this, but it
automatically saves a "modified" version of the file (it does not
overwrite the original)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Matthew Flaschen

NoOp wrote:
> Or simply print to a cups-pdf printer for testing first..

That works.

> Note that one might think that imagemagick is a standalone program that
> you just run, it's not. Info is here:
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick

It's multiple stand-alone programs.

> While imagemagik is indeed probably one of the best _command line_ set
> of graphic programs out there, I doubt that it is what the OP is looking
> for:

If you read the OP, he emphasized simple and quick, for a limited task.
You can't beat ImageMagick for that.

> Subject: Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?
> <quote>
> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.
> </quote>
>
> None of which can be done with imagemagick by itself.

What? It sounds like you're severely underestimating IM. Assuming you
want the GUI, do:

display myimage.png

Click the image

Click Transform, then Crop.

Select the marquee you want.

Click Crop.

Click File-Print.

> gthumb is probably the simpilest

I think you'll find IM is simpler.

is just fine, and I'd even
> recommend Google's Picasa 3 for linux:

I can't think of much less simple, except perhaps GIMP or Adobe
Photoshop CS4 Extended.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Patton Echols wrote:
> Imagemagick is a great set of tools, but not what OP is asking for.

I disagree. IM can do what he wants with or without a GUI.

And
> having explored the "Convert" command a bit, I can say it would be
> easier for OP to fire up GIMP to do what he wants.

Convert is /not/ the only way IM can do this.

> As I understand it, the idea is to be
> looking at an image, select some arbitrary part of the image with a
> mouse, click "Print" and having the option to print the entire image or
> just the selection.

Which ImageMagick's display command can do easily. I just gave the full
steps in another email.

People, don't knock things before you've tried them.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Patton Echols

On 03/03/2009 05:36 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >> A couple of times recently I have wanted to print just part of an
> >> image (.jpg) and, as far as I can see, none of the applications
> >> I seem to have installed on my xubuntu lets me do this.
> >>
> >> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee
> >> and then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT
> >> just for printing something.
> >
> > sudo apt-get install imagemagick
> >
> > It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an
> > image you probably want convert so 'man convert'
>
> Yes, in particular look at the -crop option.

Certainly, but the command would be something like this:

convert rose.gif -crop 40x30+10+10 +repage name.gif

where "rose.gif" is the original image, "40x30" is the pixels size to be
cropped, +10+10 is the offset telling the command the offset in the
image to position the crop +repage is so that the command reduces the
"canvas" to the cropped size and "name.gif" is the name of the resulting
image

> Also, you can have convert output to postscript and pipe directly to
> a2ps or lpr for the actual print.

Yup, and the command above would be modified to do that. (Sorry, I don't
know how to pipe to a printer) But what OP would need to know the
dimensions of the original image, the dimensions of the crop and the
dimensions of the offset. Pretty sure that is not what was asked for.

> Just don't use good paper while
> you're testing.

True, before you send to print, you can see the result with "display"
which is also part of the IM suite like this:

convert rose.gif -crop 40x30+10+10 +repage - | display -

(hint - "q" to quit the display window, right click for options)

Cheers,

Patton

Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Patton Echols

On 03/03/2009 07:22 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Which ImageMagick's display command can do easily. I just gave the full
> steps in another email.

Oops, my bad. And here I sent another reply. I wish I had seen this
and your other post for mouthing off . . . Again!

As you'll see in my other reply, I was aware of display, but did not
realize it would do all of that. I had looked at the man page, but
understood the options to be command line, not what could be done while
looking at an image. Very interesting.

Thanks for the pointer

Patton

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:

> I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> printing something.
In addition to the tools proposed in the different replies, there are 2 other
solutions:

1/ xmag / import to a .ps file / print
(the advantage is that that you can select the desired region with the mouse,
which is easier that giving th offset in the command line)

2/ xv: among many other things, it has crop and print.

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:20:30PM -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
> > Or simply print to a cups-pdf printer for testing first..
>
> That works.
>
> > Note that one might think that imagemagick is a standalone program that
> > you just run, it's not. Info is here:
> > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick
>
> It's multiple stand-alone programs.
>
> > While imagemagik is indeed probably one of the best _command line_ set
> > of graphic programs out there, I doubt that it is what the OP is looking
> > for:
>
> If you read the OP, he emphasized simple and quick, for a limited task.
> You can't beat ImageMagick for that.
>
> > Subject: Simple application to print part of an image - suggestions?
> > <quote>
> > I just want to view the image, select a bit of it with a marquee and
> > then print. I guess the Gimp will do it but it's a bit OTT just for
> > printing something.
> > </quote>
> >
> > None of which can be done with imagemagick by itself.
>
> What? It sounds like you're severely underestimating IM. Assuming you
> want the GUI, do:
>
> display myimage.png
>
> Click the image
>
> Click Transform, then Crop.
>
> Select the marquee you want.
>
> Click Crop.
>
> Click File-Print.

Quite simple, yes, but unfortunately fails completely in doing what I
want. Having selected the section of the image that I want to print,
which I did quite easily thanks to your instructions, when I printed
it the result was a *tiny* image in the corner of my A4 sheet of
paper. I want the section I have selected to print scaled up to fill
the A4 sheet.

> > gthumb is probably the simpilest
>
> I think you'll find IM is simpler.

IM is ideal, especially as it's already installed. But I need to know
how to print the image to fit an A4 sheet.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:50:31PM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/03/2009 05:36 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Robert Parker wrote:

> > > sudo apt-get install imagemagick
> > >
> > > It's a suite of image processing programs. To select part of an
> > > image you probably want convert so 'man convert'
> >
> > Yes, in particular look at the -crop option.
>
> Certainly, but the command would be something like this:
>
> convert rose.gif -crop 40x30+10+10 +repage name.gif
>
> where "rose.gif" is the original image, "40x30" is the pixels size to be
> cropped, +10+10 is the offset telling the command the offset in the
> image to position the crop +repage is so that the command reduces the
> "canvas" to the cropped size and "name.gif" is the name of the resulting
> image
>
> > Also, you can have convert output to postscript and pipe directly to
> > a2ps or lpr for the actual print.
>
> Yup, and the command above would be modified to do that. (Sorry, I don't
> know how to pipe to a printer) But what OP would need to know the
> dimensions of the original image, the dimensions of the crop and the
> dimensions of the offset. Pretty sure that is not what was asked for.
>
> > Just don't use good paper while
> > you're testing.
>
> True, before you send to print, you can see the result with "display"
> which is also part of the IM suite like this:
>
> convert rose.gif -crop 40x30+10+10 +repage - | display -
>
> (hint - "q" to quit the display window, right click for options)

All very well but none of this addresses the basic issue, having
selected the bit I want to print I want it to *fill* the A4 sheet of
paper.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Chris G

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:00:08PM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/03/2009 07:22 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Which ImageMagick's display command can do easily. I just gave the full
> > steps in another email.
> >

> Oops, my bad. And here I sent another reply. I wish I had seen this
> and your other post for mouthing off . . . Again!
>
> As you'll see in my other reply, I was aware of display, but did not
> realize it would do all of that. I had looked at the man page, but
> understood the options to be command line, not what could be done while
> looking at an image. Very interesting.
>
> Thanks for the pointer

... but, as I said, it doesn't do what I want. I can very easily
select the part of the image I want and have it displayed in the
ImageMagick window but I can't then get it to fill and A4 sheet when
printed.

ImageMagick's display utility is almost exactly what I want except for
the printing bit.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Chris G wrote:

> I want the section I have selected to print scaled up to fill
> the A4 sheet.
as I said, xv is the ideal tool for that: you can specify the
orientation, the paper size, and exactly the printing size.

The bad side is that it is not available as a deb package. So
you need 4 lines instead of one to install it. As I know no
other program as powerful as this one, it seems worthwhile to
install it:

==> wget http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/xv/xv-3.10a-37.fc8.i386.rpm
==> alien xv-3.10a-37.fc8.i386.rpm
==> dpkg -i xv_3.10a-38_i386.deb
==> wget ftp://ftp.cis.upenn.edu/pub/xv/docs/xvdocs.pdf

After that, it takes 30 seconds to get what you want:
xv myfile
right button to get the menu
click and drag with button 1 to select the rectangle area
click on crop
click on print ...

More info in the pdf document (128 pages...)

--
Pierre Frenkiel