Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Default Install problem on Thinkpad A21M 2628

I just tried to introduce a co-worker to Ubuntu and I've never seen this problem.* I starts through the install but end up several minutes later at a command line with a host of errors above.

- bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

Where to from here?* Thanks!

Ronny

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM
NoOp

On 03/03/2009 10:13 AM, k4rjj@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I just tried to introduce a co-worker to Ubuntu and I've never seen this
> problem. I starts through the install but end up several minutes later at a
> command line with a host of errors above.
>
> - bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

I suppose it would be helpful if you explained in more detail just
exactly what you are installing, which CD/DVD, etc., etc.

I have Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.2) running on my A21M/384MB RAM/20GB hard
drive. I used the alternate CD to perform the install. Note: I also had
Intrepid (8.10) on this machine, but it seemed that the machine got
slower & slower (no idea why), so I went back to Hardy.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM

*Thanks!* I'll try Hardy.* My Intrepid CD has worked for every machine I've tried except this Stinkpad.* I've hated these boxes ever since I saw the first 55 machines my boss had me upgrade in one weekend.* Glad I quit that place.

-------------- Original message from NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>: --------------

Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 AM
NoOp

On 03/03/2009 03:15 PM, k4rjj@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Thanks! I'll try Hardy. My Intrepid CD has worked for every machine I've tried
> except this Stinkpad. I've hated these boxes ever since I saw the first 55
> machines my boss had me upgrade in one weekend. Glad I quit that place.

Careful now... I've a T30 that is OK, but the T21 is a (actual) doorstop
(blink-of-death issue), and my trusty old A21M just keeps on like an old
Timex watch; takes a beat'n & keeps on tick'n.

The only issue that I have on mine is that it is too expensive to
replace the battery & add more memory. I have to add that my A21M has an
LCD & diskdrive from a discarded Dell laptop, an mini-ethernet card
from the doorstop T21, and stickers on the cover from when my kid was in
grade-school (nearly 10 years now). Some folks laugh when I plonk the
thing down and start plug it in (AC power) to fire it up... Most stop
laughing (with their slow-mo virus infected machines) when they see it
in action & I tell them that it's only an 800Mhz/384Mb machine.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Karl Auer

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 17:20 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Careful now... I've a T30 that is OK

The T30's are one of the best laptops ever produced. Extremely robust.
If they'd had anything NVidia video hardware, they'd have been very
nearly perfect.

Regards, K.