-   -   Help on not being able to deliver mail... ??? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/256306-help-not-being-able-deliver-mail.html)

Larry Shields 03-03-2009 09:35 AM

Mark Haney wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> *I have a friend who has been having a problem with his email not being
>> delivered...I have attached what he sent me so that you can see what is
>> happening...
>>
>> This problem, could it be with his ISP, or what, any one have any
>> idea...???
>>
>> Thanks Larry
>> *
>>

> Haven't seen a reply on this, so I'll give it a shot. To me, it looks
> like cybrzn.com is having trouble of /some kind/ getting to Charter. If
> your friend is using linux, try switching the SMTP server in the server
> settings in his mail client to sendmail on the localhost.
>
> Or, if they are savvy enough, have them do some test emails from the
> command line to those email addresses.

*Thanks for the reply, I made the suggestions you mentioned, so we will
see what happens...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.10 Intrepid

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

"Mark Haney" 03-03-2009 02:56 PM

Larry Shields wrote:
> *I have a friend who has been having a problem with his email not being
> delivered...I have attached what he sent me so that you can see what is
> happening...
>
> This problem, could it be with his ISP, or what, any one have any
> idea...???
>
> Thanks Larry
> *

Haven't seen a reply on this, so I'll give it a shot. To me, it looks
like cybrzn.com is having trouble of /some kind/ getting to Charter. If
your friend is using linux, try switching the SMTP server in the server
settings in his mail client to sendmail on the localhost.

Or, if they are savvy enough, have them do some test emails from the
command line to those email addresses.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

"Cybe R. Wizard" 03-03-2009 06:46 PM

"Mark Haney" <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> said:
> Haven't seen a reply on this, so I'll give it a shot. To me, it looks
> like cybrzn.com is having trouble of /some kind/ getting to Charter.
> If your friend is using linux, try switching the SMTP server in the
> server settings in his mail client to sendmail on the localhost.
>
> Or, if they are savvy enough, have them do some test emails from the
> command line to those email addresses.

Knowing of the problems some folks have been having with Charter, I
would bet on the problem lying on their end. Knowing, also, of their
lack of care for their customers, I doubt it will be easy to get them
to respond/fix.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

"Mark Haney" 03-03-2009 06:52 PM

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Knowing of the problems some folks have been having with Charter, I
> would bet on the problem lying on their end. Knowing, also, of their
> lack of care for their customers, I doubt it will be easy to get them
> to respond/fix.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I certainly do agree with that assessment. But, the OP wanted ideas on
how to diagnose and so I offered some, and, possibly, a way to get
around the problem. I've seen where using local sendmail with Charter
sometimes fixes issues with them.

Ray Parrish 03-10-2009 03:41 PM

Mark Haney wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>

>> Knowing of the problems some folks have been having with Charter, I
>> would bet on the problem lying on their end. Knowing, also, of their
>> lack of care for their customers, I doubt it will be easy to get them
>> to respond/fix.
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>

> I certainly do agree with that assessment. But, the OP wanted ideas on
> how to diagnose and so I offered some, and, possibly, a way to get
> around the problem. I've seen where using local sendmail with Charter
> sometimes fixes issues with them.

Hello,

I routinely get bounce messages from Charter.com when emailing a friend
of mine in Texas, but she always gets the messages anyway. I've emailed
the contact address listed for Charter in the bounce messages a couple
of times explaining the problem, but have to date not received a reply
from them, or seen a fix for the problem occur.

Just one of those annoying things that happen with some isp's.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Derek Broughton 03-11-2009 07:06 PM

Ray Parrish wrote:

> I routinely get bounce messages from Charter.com when emailing a friend
> of mine in Texas, but she always gets the messages anyway.

What do they say? Sometimes you'll get a "temporarily unavailable" type
message that says delivery will be retried.

> I've emailed
> the contact address listed for Charter in the bounce messages a couple
> of times explaining the problem, but have to date not received a reply
> from them, or seen a fix for the problem occur.
>
> Just one of those annoying things that happen with some isp's.

Uh-huh. One of the most abused requirements of the mail RFCs is that
bounces should come from a routeable email address. Most of the ones I
get, don't, and the rest probably come from an address that routes straight
to the bit-bucket.
--
derek

Ray Parrish 03-14-2009 12:38 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> I routinely get bounce messages from Charter.com when emailing a friend
>> of mine in Texas, but she always gets the messages anyway.
>>

> What do they say? Sometimes you'll get a "temporarily unavailable" type
> message that says delivery will be retried.
>

>> I've emailed
>> the contact address listed for Charter in the bounce messages a couple
>> of times explaining the problem, but have to date not received a reply
>> from them, or seen a fix for the problem occur.
>>
>> Just one of those annoying things that happen with some isp's.
>>

> Uh-huh. One of the most abused requirements of the mail RFCs is that
> bounces should come from a routeable email address. Most of the ones I
> get, don't, and the rest probably come from an address that routes straight
> to the bit-bucket.

Hello,

Here is the error message from one of the bounce messages.

> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> Other or undefined network or routing status
>
> Please reply to Postmaster@charter.net
> if you feel this message to be in error
Every email I send to her results in one of these error messages. I
guess it's not real iimportant since she always gets the mail, but it's
annoying to keep getting the bounce messages.

Later, Ray Parrish

Derek Broughton 03-14-2009 01:26 PM

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Here is the error message from one of the bounce messages.
>
>> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>>
>> Other or undefined network or routing status
>>
>> Please reply to Postmaster@charter.net
>> if you feel this message to be in error
> Every email I send to her results in one of these error messages. I
> guess it's not real iimportant since she always gets the mail, but it's
> annoying to keep getting the bounce messages.

Sorry, that one doesn't mean a thing to me. Do the message headers in the
bounce give a clue what mail program was used?

"Other or undefined network or routing status" is a 440 or 540 return
status, and since she gets the message, presumably 440 (transient, rather
than permanent), but you'd probably need to know what software they're
using at the other end to have a real clue what it is.

If there's anything in the message or headers that tells you it is actually
a transient error, I'd tend to write a filter to delete it unseen and
forget about it.
--
derek

Ray Parrish 03-14-2009 09:33 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Here is the error message from one of the bounce messages.
>>

>>> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>>>
>>> Other or undefined network or routing status
>>>
>>> Please reply to Postmaster@charter.net
>>> if you feel this message to be in error
>>>
>> Every email I send to her results in one of these error messages. I
>> guess it's not real iimportant since she always gets the mail, but it's
>> annoying to keep getting the bounce messages.
>>

> Sorry, that one doesn't mean a thing to me. Do the message headers in the
> bounce give a clue what mail program was used?
>
> "Other or undefined network or routing status" is a 440 or 540 return
> status, and since she gets the message, presumably 440 (transient, rather
> than permanent), but you'd probably need to know what software they're
> using at the other end to have a real clue what it is.
>
> If there's anything in the message or headers that tells you it is actually
> a transient error, I'd tend to write a filter to delete it unseen and
> forget about it.

Hello again,

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. That being said, here are some of
the headers which indicate the information you said to look for. The
mail programs in use appear to be InterMail,, and imp05, with InterMail
being the one at the last hop on the route there. It appears that it is
indeed returning a 404 result.

> vM.7.09.01.00 201-2219-108-20080618) with ESMTP id
> <20090314102932.QZTR5181.mta12.charter.net@imp05 >
> Reporting-MTA: dns; mta12.charter.net
> Arrival-Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:29:32 -0400
> Received-From-MTA: dns; imp05 (10.20.200.5)
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; <****diw@charter.net>
> Action: failed
So, it appears that for some reason, the email address I am sending to,
is not the same as the one she is receiving at I don't know why it is
failing to arrive at her main email address, and is instead being
forwarded [evidently] to her secondary address. Note that I have
replaced a few of the characters in each of the addresses to keep from
broadcasting her addresses to the group.

Oh well, I'll just creat a filter for those, and be done with it. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

Derek Broughton 03-15-2009 02:31 PM

Ray Parrish wrote:

>> Final-Recipient: RFC822; <****diw@charter.net>
>> Action: failed
> So, it appears that for some reason, the email address I am sending to,
> is not the same as the one she is receiving at I don't know why it is
> failing to arrive at her main email address, and is instead being
> forwarded [evidently] to her secondary address.

You might ask her - perhaps she actually has some rule set to do that, and
perhaps the latter address is really her preferred address. In which case,
you eliminate the issue just by changing your address book :-)

--
derek