Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default USB mounting automatically : users option?

I have a git repository on a USB flash drive.* Two or more users (all of them me, at this point) on various machines need to have read and write permissions on this repository.* I have run into problems due to different user numbers, as the owners and groups on the USB drive are numbers only, unless originating on the machine the drive is mounted on.* I think this is how it works.*

I was given a formula to type into /etc/fstab to use the users option to mount this flash drive; however, I don't know what order my various USB storage devices are going to be plugged in.*

Not knowing any better, I am thinking that the most direct approach may be to use dbus or whatever does these things, to provide in some other way, so that when the USB flash drive with a particular volume label will be mounted with the "users" option.

Is this doable?

Thank you,

Alan
--
Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one non-existent." * * * * * * * * * * ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
* * ---- Bertrand Russell

Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Thorny

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:30:35 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:

[...]
> Is this doable?

Yes, you may use labels or uuid in your fstab to have your partitions
mounted on the mount points you specify or use udev rules to get the same
device node each time.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

Thank you.*

Is it possible to ensure that the files on the device will be readable and writable by the user who mounted the USB drive?*

I have done the following, and it may be working:

* 1. mkdir /media/BLUE

* 2. labelled the USB drive "BLUE"
* 3. chmod 777 /media/BLUE
* 4. in fstab:
******* ####USB BLUE
******* LABEL=BLUE /media/BLUE ext2 defaults,users,rw,auto 0 0

So far so good.* I am not sure this is doing what I want, however, as I still see the owner of some files as "1000".*

Thank you again,

Alan