Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Nils Kassube

Default after defining new group, lost administration privileges and /etc/group has been changed

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I defined a new group using the System -> Administration -> Users and
> Groups facility. I noticed that, unlike my other system, no default
> group number was suggested. So I defined the new group with group
> id number 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not run afould of
> anything.

> I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help, even adding my
> user name as a member. I altered the sudoers file.

In your file there is an admin group but the GID is 1004 while it should
be 111. I suppose it will only work as the real admin group if you
assign it the correct GID because some/most/all (?) programs use the
GID instead of the group name.

Nils

Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > I defined a new group using the System ->
> Administration -> Users and
> > Groups facility. I noticed that, unlike my other
> system, no default
> > group number was suggested. So I defined the new
> group with group
> > id number 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not
> run afould of
> > anything.
>
> > I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help,
> even adding my
> > user name as a member. I altered the sudoers file.
>
> In your file there is an admin group but the GID is 1004
> while it should
> be 111. I suppose it will only work as the real admin group
> if you
> assign it the correct GID because some/most/all (?)
> programs use the
> GID instead of the group name.

FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
/etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. Adm has a GID of 4. I wouldn't expect these GIDs to change between versions BIDK. If the OP is interested send me an email off-list and I'll be glad to send you my /etc/group and /etc/group~ file so that you may try to correct your problem without reinstalling. My system is also working fine. HTH. I also have an Hardy installation in case the OP is not using Intrepid.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Nils Kassube

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/3/09, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > In your file there is an admin group but the GID is 1004
> > while it should
> > be 111. I suppose it will only work as the real admin group
> > if you
> > assign it the correct GID because some/most/all (?)
> > programs use the
> > GID instead of the group name.
>
> FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
> /etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. Adm has a GID of 4.

Good point. The system GIDs are really not always the same. A Kubuntu
6.06.1 LiveCD has GID 111 for admin like this machine which was
upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04. Another Hardy machine has 112 (don't know
from which version it was upgraded). A Xubuntu Hardy alpha? LiveCD has
114 and a Jaunty machine has 120 (all 32 bit). So I think the initially
installed version is important to find out the association between
particular groups and their GIDs.

Nils

Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > > In your file there is an admin group but the GID
> is 1004
> > > while it should
> > > be 111. I suppose it will only work as the real
> admin group
> > > if you
> > > assign it the correct GID because some/most/all
> (?)
> > > programs use the
> > > GID instead of the group name.
> >
> > FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
> > /etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. Adm
> has a GID of 4.
>
> Good point. The system GIDs are really not always the same.
> A Kubuntu
> 6.06.1 LiveCD has GID 111 for admin like this machine which
> was
> upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04. Another Hardy machine has 112
> (don't know
> from which version it was upgraded). A Xubuntu Hardy alpha?
> LiveCD has
> 114 and a Jaunty machine has 120 (all 32 bit). So I think
> the initially
> installed version is important to find out the association
> between
> particular groups and their GIDs.

Yikes, seems like a lot of unnecessary complication in GIDs. One almost needs a backup of /etc/group to really know what it should be. thanks for pointing out the facts.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>

> > FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
> > /etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. Adm
> has a GID of 4. I
> > wouldn't expect these GIDs to change between
> versions BIDK. If the OP is
> > interested send me an email off-list and I'll be
> glad to send you my
> > /etc/group and /etc/group~ file so that you may try to
> correct your problem
> > without reinstalling. My system is also working fine.
> HTH. I also have an
> > Hardy installation in case the OP is not using
> Intrepid.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>

> Thank you kindly. I have solved the problem by an
> overnight install on
> another partition. The Phoenix rises from its ashes! The
> GID of admin on
> my other box is 123.
>
> I learned much by this.
>
> Alan

So did I. Although I have looked at /etc/group on several versions of Ubuntu I certainly wasn't aware the the GIDs were different depending on which version is installed and on the method of installing/upgrading. Seems like a lot of
unnecessary complication to me. Seems like a group should have a specific number on any version regardless of how you got there unless the privileges are somehow changes/different. IMO.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net