Old 03-03-2009, 02:12 AM
"H.S."

Default after defining new group, lost administration privileges and /etc/group has been changed

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> I should mention that I did define a couple of groups that are found in the
> /etc/group file I posted earlier, including admin and sudo.
>
> Alan
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Today I have been experimenting with permissions and groups between two
>> systems to make it easier to share files on a USB drive between the two
>> systems.
>>
>> I defined a new group using the System -> Administration -> Users and
>> Groups facility. I noticed that, unlike my other system, no default group
>> number was suggested. So I defined the new group with group id number
>> 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not run afould of anything.
>>
>> I logged out and back in.
>>
>> When I click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, I am not
>> longer allowed to access the tool. The error message says I do nave
>> permission to do so. (I no longer remember the error message, because I
>> have altered the permissions and groups resulting in a different message now
>> being shown: "The configuration could not be loaded. You are not allowed to
>> access the system configuration."
>>
>> I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help, even adding my user name
>> as a member. I altered the sudoers file.

In what exact way?

>> The groups in /etc/group do not have any other users assigned to any groups
>> than those I assigned to the new group (1111) I made. Admin is no longer a
>> group!

This cannot be good!

I am not sure what you really mean by "defining a group". 'admin'
already exists. Did you redefine it to something else? I am not sure how
this is possible though .... but, again, I am not sure what you really
mean here.

In any case, what one does is create new groups if needed. These are
created by giving the new groups unique names and not usually by numbers
as you attempted to do. The group numbers (goupr IDs) are given by the
system automatically.

First, what is the output of the following command (while you are logged
in):
$> groups

Next, list the contents of /etc/groups file here (you have attached some
bin file in your previous email, I was expecting a text file). And
somebody can compare that listing with his own groups file and see what
is the problem with admin and adm groups (I think admin is the main
administration group, not sure about adm but the administrator is
usually a member of that group).

Good luck.

ever having been read.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM
NoOp

On 03/02/2009 06:03 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Today I have been experimenting with permissions and groups between two
> systems to make it easier to share files on a USB drive between the two
> systems.
>
> I defined a new group using the System -> Administration -> Users and Groups
> facility. I noticed that, unlike my other system, no default group number
> was suggested. So I defined the new group with group id number 1111, which
> I reasons is high enough to not run afould of anything.
>
> I logged out and back in.
>
> When I click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, I am not
> longer allowed to access the tool. The error message says I do nave
> permission to do so. (I no longer remember the error message, because I
> have altered the permissions and groups resulting in a different message now
> being shown: "The configuration could not be loaded. You are not allowed to
> access the system configuration."

Do you have a backup /etc/groups file? Check your /etc:

$ cd /etc
$ ls gr*

> I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help, even adding my user name
> as a member. I altered the sudoers file.

How did you alter it?

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

> The groups in /etc/group do not have any other users assigned to any groups
> than those I assigned to the new group (1111) I made. Admin is no longer a
> group!
> I have attached the new /etc/group file.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions. I would also appreciate your ideas of whom
> to ask, or which group.

Try the same method as with a lost password:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword
and then modify as root
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/user-management.html

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 AM
NoOp

On 03/02/2009 07:12 PM, H.S. wrote:

> Next, list the contents of /etc/groups file here (you have attached some
> bin file in your previous email, I was expecting a text file).

It's a text file - I just downloaded and opened with gedit.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
NoOp

On 03/04/2009 12:20 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

>> FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my
>> /etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. Adm has a GID of 4.
>
> Good point. The system GIDs are really not always the same. A Kubuntu
> 6.06.1 LiveCD has GID 111 for admin like this machine which was
> upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04. Another Hardy machine has 112 (don't know
> from which version it was upgraded). A Xubuntu Hardy alpha? LiveCD has
> 114 and a Jaunty machine has 120 (all 32 bit). So I think the initially
> installed version is important to find out the association between
> particular groups and their GIDs.

This hardy machine (all my machines are Gnome) has been upgraded from
6.06 thru 8.04 and has an admin of 117 w/adm of 4.

An intrepid machine w/fresh install is 115 (admin)
Two other hardy machines w/fresh install is 115 (admin)
Another Hardy is 117 (upgraded from edgy thru hardy).

A related bug that seems similar to Alan's original issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-tools/+bug/236305
[Creating user with username 'admin' hoses admin group, sudo config]