Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default after defining new group, lost administration privileges and /etc/group has been changed

Today I have been experimenting with permissions and groups between two systems to make it easier to share files on a USB drive between the two systems.

I defined a new group using the System -> Administration -> Users and Groups facility.* I noticed that, unlike my other system, no default group number was suggested.* So I defined the* new group with group id number 1111, which I reasons is high enough to not run afould of anything.

I logged out and back in.*

When I click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups, I am not longer allowed to access the tool.* The error message says I do nave permission to do so.* (I no longer remember the error message, because I have altered the permissions and groups resulting in a different message now being shown: "The configuration could not be loaded.* You are not allowed to access the system configuration."

I had to add an admin group, but that didn't help, even adding my user name as a member.* I altered the sudoers file.*

The groups in /etc/group do not have any other users assigned to any groups than those I assigned to the new group (1111) I made.* Admin is no longer a group!*

I have attached the new /etc/group file.

Thank you for any suggestions.* I would also appreciate your ideas of whom to ask, or which group.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one non-existent." * * * * * * * * * * ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
* * ---- Bertrand Russell

Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

I should mention that I did define a couple of groups that are found in the /etc/group file I posted earlier, including admin and sudo.

Thank you for any ideas,

Alan

Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Thank you for the responses.*

In order, pretty much:

(I am not now at the machine where this disaster happened.* I am installing intrepid on another partition, so maybe tomorrow it will be updated.* Maybe that's my main option now?* I am hoping somehow there is a way to reconsistitued /etc/group)

** - I cannot list the group file as I am not there now.

** - The closest thing to a backup is /etc/group-.* I don't know what that is about.* It's not any better than /etc/group.

** -* Admin was blown away from /etc/group.* Most of the plethora of groups I see on my home ubuntu box, also Intrepid, are not on the group file on the system at work.* Yes, I assigned the wrong group number, as I didn't know it was supposed to be 111, for admin: I had hoped to recover the administration permissions.* Will try that tomorrow.

* * - I added myself to the sudoers file, with permissions for everything.* That didn't make much difference.* I used visudo to do this.* I still couldn't define groups.* (Later, I reinstalled dbus and dbus-x11, and was able to do so.* I will restore the file to the original configuration.*

* -* I really don't know how /etc/group got altered.* I suppose I may have edited it.* However, I do know about System -> Admin -> users and groups, and probably did use that.* Somehow, /etc/group was a mere suggestion of itself, even worse than the file I sent, with no users assigned to ANY group, except the one I had defined, "git".* I assigned group number 1111.* I was trying to have two machines with the same group ID for git, so I could add users on both machines to the git group, and then they would both have write permissions on the flash drive with a git repo.* Perhaps I edited it. I was panicking, as I was unable to push my work to the USB key due to what appeared to be permissions issues, and I was pulling rabbits out of hats (guess I pulled a rat out, instead).

Thank you for the suggestions.*

Alan

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

FWIW, In my intrepid 64 bit installation my

/etc/group admin entry shows GID of 119 not 111. *Adm has a GID of 4. *I wouldn't expect these GIDs to change between versions BIDK. *If the OP is interested send me an email off-list and I'll be glad to send you my /etc/group and /etc/group~ file so that you may try to correct your problem without reinstalling. *My system is also working fine. *HTH. *I also have an Hardy installation in case the OP is not using Intrepid.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
Thank you kindly.* I have solved the problem by an overnight install on another partition.* The Phoenix rises from its ashes!* The GID of admin on my other box is 123.*

I learned much by this.

Alan