Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default cable broadband and dialup modem

Is there any way to have cable broadband and a dialup modem operable on
the same computer (not operating simultaneously)? The dialup connection
would be for a separate ISP than the cable connection. Would there be a
conflict created by adding the dialup ISP's DNS addresses at the end
of those for the existing cable ISP? What other problems that I'm not
foreseeing?

I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for browsing
and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:44:16 -0700 (MST)
Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

> Is there any way to have cable broadband and a dialup modem operable
> on the same computer (not operating simultaneously)? The dialup
> connection would be for a separate ISP than the cable connection.
> Would there be a conflict created by adding the dialup ISP's DNS
> addresses at the end of those for the existing cable ISP? What other
> problems that I'm not foreseeing?
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for
> browsing and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail
> and news.

I have connected both cable modem through ethernet cable and dial-up
using a 56K modem with both active. The dial-up was for fax and
fallback when cable-one would go down.

You do have to tell the system what to connect through what when doing
this. As in, eth0 has priority so it will always be the first
connection used exept for fax.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Ray Parrish

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Is there any way to have cable broadband and a dialup modem operable on
> the same computer (not operating simultaneously)? The dialup connection
> would be for a separate ISP than the cable connection. Would there be a
> conflict created by adding the dialup ISP's DNS addresses at the end
> of those for the existing cable ISP? What other problems that I'm not
> foreseeing?
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for browsing
> and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.

Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 AM
steve

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Is there any way to have cable broadband and a dialup modem operable on
>> the same computer (not operating simultaneously)? The dialup connection
>> would be for a separate ISP than the cable connection. Would there be a
>> conflict created by adding the dialup ISP's DNS addresses at the end
>> of those for the existing cable ISP? What other problems that I'm not
>> foreseeing?
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for browsing
>> and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.
>>
> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Yeah, curious here as well, why. The only reason I can think of is you
have a cap on broadband and no cap on dial up?

I use gnome ppp for my gprs card (technically dial up as far the os is
concerned), and wireless or ethernet at home. have no problem switching
between the two.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Ray Parrish wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:

............snip............

>> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for browsing
>> and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.
>>
> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.

I can connect to my dialup ISP's news server with my cable but haven't
had much luck with there mail servers. Think I'll work on that some
more.

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman

Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, steve wrote:

> Ray Parrish wrote:
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out a way to use *spit* Cox broadband for
browsing
>>> and downloading linux distros and the dialup ISP for mail and news.
>>>
>> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
>> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
>> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
>> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Yeah, curious here as well, why. The only reason I can think of is you
> have a cap on broadband and no cap on dial up?
>
> I use gnome ppp for my gprs card (technically dial up as far the os is
> concerned), and wireless or ethernet at home. have no problem switching
> between the two.

No caps that I'm aware of. It's just that Cox has given me nothing but
aggrevation and my old ISP (sonic.net in California) was always on the
ball with tech support that listened to the diagnostics you've run and
proceeded from there. No "lets check your settings" after being
informed that I haven't changed them. I've been having trouble posting
to moderated news groups thru Cox. Their tier 1 guy's response was "what's
a news group?"

The upshot is that I want as little to do with Cox as possible.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Ray Parrish

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, steve wrote:
>

>> Ray Parrish wrote:

> browsing

>>> Just curious here...Why? That will make your mail and news pretty slow.
>>> I still have the email address I used when I was on dial-up, as I pay
>>> the old isp a small fee for continuing to use it, but I download it
>>> through my new DSL connection, which is much faster.
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> Yeah, curious here as well, why. The only reason I can think of is you
>> have a cap on broadband and no cap on dial up?
>>
>> I use gnome ppp for my gprs card (technically dial up as far the os is
>> concerned), and wireless or ethernet at home. have no problem switching
>> between the two.
>>

> No caps that I'm aware of. It's just that Cox has given me nothing but
> aggrevation and my old ISP (sonic.net in California) was always on the
> ball with tech support that listened to the diagnostics you've run and
> proceeded from there. No "lets check your settings" after being
> informed that I haven't changed them. I've been having trouble posting
> to moderated news groups thru Cox. Their tier 1 guy's response was "what's
> a news group?"
>
> The upshot is that I want as little to do with Cox as possible.

Ahhh, yes, newsgroups... Regrettably since I've switched over from dial
up, I no longer have a news server included with my new DSL account, and
when I inquired about them, I got the same response of "What's that?"
Pretty sad answer for an isp.

My old dial up account's ownership has changed to the local power
company, and they too seem to be ignorant of what a news server is, as I
have emailed them several times to see if they would provide me with
access for an additional fee, and they never answer.

So, I'm stuck with the Microsoft news server, and other public servers
like the Mozilla server, but none with access to the main newsgroups.
What a drag!

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 AM
NoOp

On 03/02/2009 07:39 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> No caps that I'm aware of. It's just that Cox has given me nothing but
> aggrevation and my old ISP (sonic.net in California) was always on the
> ball with tech support that listened to the diagnostics you've run and
> proceeded from there. No "lets check your settings" after being
> informed that I haven't changed them. I've been having trouble posting
> to moderated news groups thru Cox. Their tier 1 guy's response was "what's
> a news group?"
>
> The upshot is that I want as little to do with Cox as possible.

Email Server News Server
POP Server: pop.west.cox.net
SMTP Server: smtp.west.cox.net
news.west.cox.net

But if you are having problems with their news/mail, why not just use
them as a transport and set up news/mail with a 3rd party? For instance,
you can still get e-mail accounts via Sonic if you wish:
http://www.sonic.net/sales/hosting/ and there are many others (less
expensive). I'm sure that as a previous customer of Sonic that Dane
Jasper & crew would be happy to work with you.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

.............snip............

> I have connected both cable modem through ethernet cable and dial-up
> using a 56K modem with both active. The dial-up was for fax and
> fallback when cable-one would go down.
>
> You do have to tell the system what to connect through what when doing
> this. As in, eth0 has priority so it will always be the first
> connection used exept for fax.

If I knew how to do that, short of pulling the cable out of the modem, I
would be ahead of the game. Care to do some (figurative) hand holding?

--
Bob Holtzman
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, NoOp wrote:

> On 03/02/2009 07:39 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:

............snip............

>> The upshot is that I want as little to do with Cox as possible.
>>

> Email Server News Server
> POP Server: pop.west.cox.net
> SMTP Server: smtp.west.cox.net
> news.west.cox.net

Uhm....if I wasn't aware of this I wouldn't be able to send/receive mail
to/from this list.

> But if you are having problems with their news/mail, why not just use
> them as a transport and set up news/mail with a 3rd party? For instance,
> you can still get e-mail accounts via Sonic if you wish:
> http://www.sonic.net/sales/hosting/ and there are many others (less
> expensive). I'm sure that as a previous customer of Sonic that Dane
> Jasper & crew would be happy to work with you.

I kept my sonic account alive when I went to Cox. I have already tried
posting thru their news server (news.sonic.net) but had the same problem
with posts to moderated groups not showing up. I even got a Giganews
account to try. Still no joy. The only common denominator in all this is
that my mail to the various news servers is going thru Cox's SMTP server.
Why that would contribute to the problem is beyond me but going thru a
dialup modem would bypass Cox and confirm whether or not their SMTP
server is at fault. What have I missed?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
"The best argument against democracy is a five