Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Bill Moseley

Default Troubleshooting USB

I installed Ubuntu on an old Dell OptiPlex 170L I had around. On this
machine I'm having some trouble mounting a USB drive with syslog
saying:

usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

and then nothing after that.

Also, a USB HP photosmart 7350 printer was correctly detected but
printing doesn't work -- trying to print causes the printer to eject
multiple pages and print junk on the page.

Of course, on my main machine (a newer Dell) everything works
perfectly. The USB drive mounts w/o a problem and the printer prints
great.

Both have 8.10 and are up-to-date. Same printer driver is selected on
both machines.

So, I'm now suspecting a hardware USB problem. Is there anything I
can do to test the USB sub-system on a machine?

Any ideas what else to try?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Chris Mohler

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> Any ideas what else to try?

Maybe DL and boot Knoppix, and see if you can mount the drive. That
way, you can tell if it's Ubuntu-specific. Knoppix will probably be
using a different kernel - and that's something you could try in
Ubuntu as well: I've seen stranger things than kernel bugs

Chris

Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Chris Mohler

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
>

>> Any ideas what else to try?
>
> Maybe DL and boot Knoppix, and see if you can mount the drive. *That
> way, you can tell if it's Ubuntu-specific. *Knoppix will probably be
> using a different kernel - and that's something you could try in
> Ubuntu as well: I've seen stranger things than kernel bugs

And I just realized that a more lightweight distro might be less
painful on your older hardware - maybe puppy or DSL?

Chris

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
NoOp

On 03/02/2009 04:39 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu on an old Dell OptiPlex 170L I had around. On this
> machine I'm having some trouble mounting a USB drive with syslog
> saying:
>
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>
> and then nothing after that.
>
> Also, a USB HP photosmart 7350 printer was correctly detected but
> printing doesn't work -- trying to print causes the printer to eject
> multiple pages and print junk on the page.
>
> Of course, on my main machine (a newer Dell) everything works
> perfectly. The USB drive mounts w/o a problem and the printer prints
> great.
>
> Both have 8.10 and are up-to-date. Same printer driver is selected on
> both machines.
>
> So, I'm now suspecting a hardware USB problem. Is there anything I
> can do to test the USB sub-system on a machine?
>
> Any ideas what else to try?

I would first try using only the back USB ports on the machine. Older
machines (and some new ones) have noise on the front ports (threads are
archived here related) and/or ports that are extended off of the main
motherboard. Try that first, & then if not, I'll see if I can dig up the
old thread(s) related to this. Another thing to try is to go to bios and
turn off/on legacy USB support (if on turn off, if off turn on) & while
there, make sure that your bios is updated to the latest release available.

Also, check your logs (dmesg, sys etc) to see if you can find any usb