Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Is something wrong with the group's mail software?

Hello,

Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete
the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.

I'm being real careful to click "Reply" and not "Reply All" and in the
past this has never been a problem. Has something happened to the
configuration of the group's email distribution program?

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
steve

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
> get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
> with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete
> the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.
>
> I'm being real careful to click "Reply" and not "Reply All" and in the
> past this has never been a problem. Has something happened to the
> configuration of the group's email distribution program?
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

I dont think its the mailman list settings, but rather whoever your
replying to maybe and what mail agent they used? I notice the same
thing happens sporadically with some mails I receive, and your using
thunderbird the same as me right?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Ray Parrish

steve wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
>> get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
>> with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete
>> the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.
>>
>> I'm being real careful to click "Reply" and not "Reply All" and in the
>> past this has never been a problem. Has something happened to the
>> configuration of the group's email distribution program?
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> I dont think its the mailman list settings, but rather whoever your
> replying to maybe and what mail agent they used? I notice the same
> thing happens sporadically with some mails I receive, and your using
> thunderbird the same as me right?

Yes, I use Thunderbird. This has only occurred a few times over the past
few days, and never before, so I wasn't suspecting Thunderbird.

What setting in their email client could a person make to cause this to
happen when I reply to them?

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
>>> get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
>>> with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete
>>> the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.
>>>
>>> I'm being real careful to click "Reply" and not "Reply All" and in the
>>> past this has never been a problem. Has something happened to the
>>> configuration of the group's email distribution program?
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> I dont think its the mailman list settings, but rather whoever your
>> replying to maybe and what mail agent they used? *I notice the same
>> thing happens sporadically with some mails I receive, and your using
>> thunderbird the same as me right?
>>
> Yes, I use Thunderbird. This has only occurred a few times over the past
> few days, and never before, so I wasn't suspecting Thunderbird.
>
> What setting in their email client could a person make to cause this to
> happen when I reply to them?
>
> Later, Ray Parrish
>
> --
> Human reviewed index of links about the computer
> http://www.rayslinks.com
> Poetry from the mind of a Schizophrenic
> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com/

Perhaps when the OP sets 'Reply to" in his email?

L.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Gary Herbert

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
>>> get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
>>> with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete

>>> the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.
>>>
>>> I'm being real careful to click "Reply" and not "Reply All
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish

*
I am getting the same problem sometimes... I can uses straight Gmail or Thunderbird IMAP under gmail.. It makes no difference...
I had a moderator of a group I am on get upset because when I replyed he got a copy in his inbox... I think I will CC him this thread...
*
Gary H.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Derek Broughton

steve wrote:

> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>> Over the past several days I've noticed that some messages I reply to
>> get the OP's email address used in the reply as the main "To:" address,
>> with the group's email as an added "To:" field. I then have to delete
>> the OP's email address to avoid sending two messages.
> I dont think its the mailman list settings, but rather whoever your
> replying to maybe and what mail agent they used? I notice the same
> thing happens sporadically with some mails I receive, and your using
> thunderbird the same as me right?

Check the original posts to see if they have a "reply-to" header. I hate
when people do that, because I use gmane news & knode, and rather than
sending the same message via both nntp and mail, knode actually opens up a
kmail editor to send the mail copy - which can have different text from the
newsgroup reply! (However, I don't complain to the OPs, because it's
clearly a software problem on my end).
--
derek

Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> Yes, I use Thunderbird. This has only occurred a few times over the past
>> few days, and never before, so I wasn't suspecting Thunderbird.
>>
>> What setting in their email client could a person make to cause this to
>> happen when I reply to them?
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>
>> --
>> Human reviewed index of links about the computer
>> http://www.rayslinks.com
>> Poetry from the mind of a Schizophrenic
>> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com/
>>

> Perhaps when the OP sets 'Reply to" in his email?

This problem is because the Reply-To: header is being overridden.
Really, the correct header for mailing lists is List-Post
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html), which ubuntu-users does send.
Problem is, barely any clients support this yet.

There is a Thunderbird extension
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/576) that is meant
to provide Reply to List using List-Post though.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:11:13PM -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> >> Yes, I use Thunderbird. This has only occurred a few times over the past
> >> few days, and never before, so I wasn't suspecting Thunderbird.
> >>
> >> What setting in their email client could a person make to cause this to
> >> happen when I reply to them?
> >>
> >> Later, Ray Parrish
> >>
> >> --
> >> Human reviewed index of links about the computer
> >> http://www.rayslinks.com
> >> Poetry from the mind of a Schizophrenic
> >> http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com/
> >>

> > Perhaps when the OP sets 'Reply to" in his email?
>
> This problem is because the Reply-To: header is being overridden.
> Really, the correct header for mailing lists is List-Post
> (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html), which ubuntu-users does send.
> Problem is, barely any clients support this yet.
>
> There is a Thunderbird extension
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/576) that is meant
> to provide Reply to List using List-Post though.

... or use mutt which provides a L[ist Reply] command, you do have to
tell mutt what addresses are lists for this to work of course. It
does work on all sorts of lists though and overcomes the problem being
discussed here.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Chris G wrote:
> ... or use mutt which provides a L[ist Reply] command, you do have to
> tell mutt what addresses are lists for this to work of course.

Which of course defeats the entire point of List-Post and sister headers.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Chris G wrote:
>> ... or use mutt which provides a L[ist Reply] command, you do have to
>> tell mutt what addresses are lists for this to work of course.
>
> Which of course defeats the entire point of List-Post and sister headers.

It does. I remember arguing (who? Me?) with KMail developers about this
years ago. For some reason they didn't _want_ the default reply function
to be to a list when "List-Post" was available - even though KMail had long
recognized the List-Post header as special and given you an option
to "Reply to list". Which is one of the primary reasons I stopped using
mail to receive any lists that were available in gmane news.
--
derek