Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 PM
"H.S."

Default 2.6.26 kernel in hardy?

Hi,

Is 2.6.26 kernel included in Hardy? I tried installing this version but
looks like it is not in the repos, or I am missing something.

If this kernel is not in Hardy, how do I go about getting it as a Ubuntu
package?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Ray Parrish

H.S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is 2.6.26 kernel included in Hardy? I tried installing this version but
> looks like it is not in the repos, or I am missing something.
>
> If this kernel is not in Hardy, how do I go about getting it as a Ubuntu
> package?
>
> Thanks.

That very subject was recently discussed on this list, and I just
happened to save the message for reference. I'm adding the content of
the solution to this post as a quote, and hoping that the original
poster of this information doesn't mind my quoting him, that person
being "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> who I am hereby crediting with this
information. Note that it applies to the 2.6.27 kernel not the 2.6.26
kernel, but I'm sure the same method should work for either.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Ray Parrish

H.S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is 2.6.26 kernel included in Hardy? I tried installing this version but
> looks like it is not in the repos, or I am missing something.
>
> If this kernel is not in Hardy, how do I go about getting it as a Ubuntu
> package?
>
> Thanks.

Woops!!! Never mind, and ignore my previous post! I just noticed that
the person I credited with the needed information I quoted was the
person asking this question, so something must be different for the
earlier kernel or he wouldn't be asking again. Guess I better check to
see who I'm replying to before posting. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 AM
"H.S."

Ray Parrish wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is 2.6.26 kernel included in Hardy? I tried installing this version but
>> looks like it is not in the repos, or I am missing something.
>>
>> If this kernel is not in Hardy, how do I go about getting it as a Ubuntu
>> package?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Woops!!! Never mind, and ignore my previous post! I just noticed that
> the person I credited with the needed information I quoted was the
> person asking this question, so something must be different for the
> earlier kernel or he wouldn't be asking again. Guess I better check to
> see who I'm replying to before posting. 8-)
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

No problem

The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't have
been a problem.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Nils Kassube

H.S. wrote:
> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
> doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't have
> been a problem.

Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual Ubuntu
versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed with the
original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new kernel version.
The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15 (IIRC) and now we have
2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or even higher versions for
8.04 in any supported repository. The reason is stability - some
hardware may no longer work with a newer kernel version and that would
be very bad for any released distribution.

Nils

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
"H.S."

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
>> doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't have
>> been a problem.
>
> Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual Ubuntu
> versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed with the
> original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new kernel version.
> The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15 (IIRC) and now we have
> 2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or even higher versions for

Okay. I understand this in Hardy, which is LTS. But it looks like
Intrepid had only 2.6.27 kernel. Did Ubuntu skip 2.6.26 altogether?

I was hoping that Intrepid had 2.6.26 in its repos.

> 8.04 in any supported repository. The reason is stability - some
> hardware may no longer work with a newer kernel version and that would
> be very bad for any released distribution.

This appears to be already the case in Intrepid: 2.6.27 broke some
webcam support (e.g. vx-1000), which were working fine until 2.6.26. If
Intrepid had 2.6.26 kernel as well in its repos, then the users could
have easily reverted to that kernel.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:51:05 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > H.S. wrote:
> >> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
> >> doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't
> >> have been a problem.
> >
> > Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual
> > Ubuntu versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed
> > with the original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new
> > kernel version. The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15
> > (IIRC) and now we have 2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or
> > even higher versions for
>

> Okay. I understand this in Hardy, which is LTS. But it looks like
> Intrepid had only 2.6.27 kernel. Did Ubuntu skip 2.6.26 altogether?
>
> I was hoping that Intrepid had 2.6.26 in its repos.
>

> > 8.04 in any supported repository. The reason is stability - some
> > hardware may no longer work with a newer kernel version and that
> > would be very bad for any released distribution.
> >

> This appears to be already the case in Intrepid: 2.6.27 broke some
> webcam support (e.g. vx-1000), which were working fine until 2.6.26.
> If Intrepid had 2.6.26 kernel as well in its repos, then the users
> could have easily reverted to that kernel.
>
> Regards.

I could be wrong, probably am wrong. I thought 2.6.26 was the kernel
tested in Intrepid that screwed up the wireless real bad. Didn't it
cause most wireless cards to get dropped?

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Nils Kassube

H.S. wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > H.S. wrote:
> >> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even
> >> Intrepid doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it
> >> wouldn't have been a problem.
> >
> > Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual
> > Ubuntu versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed
> > with the original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new
> > kernel version. The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15
> > (IIRC) and now we have 2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or
> > even higher versions for
>
> Okay. I understand this in Hardy, which is LTS. But it looks like
> Intrepid had only 2.6.27 kernel. Did Ubuntu skip 2.6.26 altogether?
>
> I was hoping that Intrepid had 2.6.26 in its repos.

That has nothing to do with LTS. It is the same with every Ubuntu
version. Some time before the release date there is a decision which
kernel (and other software) version will be supplied with the upcoming
release. For Intrepid there was 2.6.27 available in time and therefore
that version was used and not 2.6.26. For Ubuntu there is a release
schedule of 6 months between releases. For the kernel there is no such
schedule.

Nils

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
"H.S."

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>>
>> I was hoping that Intrepid had 2.6.26 in its repos.
>
> That has nothing to do with LTS. It is the same with every Ubuntu
> version. Some time before the release date there is a decision which
> kernel (and other software) version will be supplied with the upcoming
> release. For Intrepid there was 2.6.27 available in time and therefore
> that version was used and not 2.6.26. For Ubuntu there is a release
> schedule of 6 months between releases. For the kernel there is no such
> schedule.

Okay. Thanks for this clarifications.

Are there by any chance other repos, perhaps Ubuntu community repos
(non-Canonical repos), which have such packages available for Ubuntu?

ever having been read.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Matthew Flaschen

H.S. wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> H.S. wrote:
>>> The difference, or the reason for my OP here, is that even Intrepid
>>> doesn't seem to have 2.6.26, only 2.6.27. If it did, it wouldn't have
>>> been a problem.
>> Usually there is only one kernel version available for individual Ubuntu
>> versions. It is the kernel version which was distributed with the
>> original release. There will be bug fixes but not a new kernel version.
>> The kernel distributed with 8.04 was 2.6.24-15 (IIRC) and now we have
>> 2.6.24-23 but don't expect to find 2.6.25 or even higher versions for
>

> Okay. I understand this in Hardy, which is LTS. But it looks like
> Intrepid had only 2.6.27 kernel. Did Ubuntu skip 2.6.26 altogether?

Yes, and most people would consider this a good thing. 2.6.27 is
supposed to be better than 2.6.26 and 2.6.26 obviously can't be
supported indefinitely. As for your webcam, I assume you filed a bug,
and it should be fixed in due course in an update to Intrepid's 2.6.27.

Matt Flaschen