Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 AM
"Soo-Hyun Choi"

Default Large number of users, but want to keep secret

Hi,

I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by reading it.

What would be a good way to do this?

Thanks,
Soo-Hyun

Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 AM
James Takac

On Monday 31 December 2007 15:04:02 Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to
> give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB
> Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in
> order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by
> reading it.
>
> What would be a good way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Soo-Hyun

Hi Soo-Hyun

Probably the simplest way would be to install encfs (from the repositories)
and then cryptkeeper (a quick google will find it). They can then each setup
an encrypted folder using cryptkeeper which is an applet. It's quite easy
once setup with a few clicks to create the encrypted folder and each can then
via cryptkeeper enable or disable their folder. Of course to log into their
folder they will have to enter the password they supplied when the folder was
created. Anyone trying to read their folder otherwise gets gibberish

James

Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 AM
Corey Bettenhausen

Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to
> give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB
> Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in
> order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by
> reading it.
>
> What would be a good way to do this?
Set the permissions to each student's home directory appropriately. See
this page under the "File Permissions" heading:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/user-guide/C/gosnautilus-8.html

Or "man chmod" from the commandline. Another somewhat related command
is "chown". For more information on that one, "man chown" from the
commandline. This page may also come in handy:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions
Regards,
-Corey

Old 12-31-2007, 06:52 AM
"John Toliver"

On Dec 31, 2007 12:04 AM, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi@hackers.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to
> give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB
> Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in
> order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by
> reading it.
How are these students connecting to the machine? Will this be a
server and they connect from other machines? I think the default
permissions would prevent normal users from seeing each others home
directories. As a test, create to test users and place data in them.

Log in to either and see if you can view or modify the information in
the other's folders.

--
Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever
could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 AM
"John Toliver"

correction: Log in two either and see if you can view or modify the
information in
the other's folders.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
debian

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 02:52 -0500, John Toliver wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007 12:04 AM, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi@hackers.org.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have fairly large number of students (> 50) in a class. I would like to
> > give them an account on a machine (Ubuntu 7.10, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB
> > Memory). But, I want that the students cannot read each other's files in
> > order to prevent from copying someone else's programming assignment by
> > reading it.
Something you could try is:
1) create the user
2) open nautilus as root and dirtestect it to the /home folder
3) right click on the users folder, then click properties, click the
Permissions tab, go down to "others", set the folder access to "None"
and the file access to "none"

Doing this will only allow that person (or persons with in the group) to
view that folder. They shouldnt be able to copy the contents of the
folder (unless they either boot into recovery mode or obtain the root
password)

hth

--cj