Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Redmond Tux

Default Ubuntu doesn't recognize RAID5 array - what to do?

A few weeks ago I reinstalled the latest version of Ubuntu (wanted a clean start) and discovered, to my unpleasant surprise, that Ubuntu doesn't recognize my RAID5 array.

Previously, it was recognized as "Adaptec" (that's the hardware controller that all the drives are tethered to). To be clear, Ubuntu itself is installed on a separate, smaller SATA drive. The RAID5 array is where I want to store my data. But I can't access it. When I try, I get this error:

Unable to mount location
Can't find file

In My Computer, instead of showing "Adaptec" it just says "SCSI Drive". This to me suggests it isn't recognizing my array. I have looked around and can't find a solution.

Any suggestions?
*
redmondtux

Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Redmond Tux wrote:
> A few weeks ago I reinstalled the latest version of Ubuntu (wanted a
> clean start) and discovered, to my unpleasant surprise, that Ubuntu
> doesn't recognize my RAID5 array.
>
> Previously, it was recognized as "Adaptec" (that's the hardware
> controller that all the drives are tethered to).

Are you expecting HAL to handle you non-removable media? I would use
fstab for that.

> In My Computer, instead of showing "Adaptec" it just says "SCSI Drive".
> This to me suggests it isn't recognizing my array. I have looked around
> and can't find a solution.

Can you post the output of:

ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -l
df -Th
cat /etc/fstab

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Redmond Tux

Okay, here's the output:

*
$ ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-03-01 17:32 6c167cb1-5210-4bc0-9ebe-8deed516b7e5 -> ../../sdb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-03-01 17:32 f9d6790c-478c-43e1-bd56-e2ddf9bfa248 -> ../../sdb5

andrew@npimediacenter:~$ df -Th
Filesystem*** Type*** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1**** ext3**** 15G* 2.7G** 11G* 20% /
tmpfs******* tmpfs*** 1.7G**** 0* 1.7G** 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun****** tmpfs*** 1.7G* 100K* 1.7G** 1% /var/run

varlock***** tmpfs*** 1.7G**** 0* 1.7G** 0% /var/lock
udev******** tmpfs*** 1.7G* 2.9M* 1.7G** 1% /dev
tmpfs******* tmpfs*** 1.7G* 104K* 1.7G** 1% /dev/shm
lrm********* tmpfs*** 1.7G* 2.0M* 1.7G** 1% /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/volatile

$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc*********** /proc********** proc*** defaults******* 0****** 0

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=6c167cb1-5210-4bc0-9ebe-8deed516b7e5 /************** ext3*** relatime,errors=remount-ro 0****** 1
# /dev/sdb5
UUID=f9d6790c-478c-43e1-bd56-e2ddf9bfa248 none*********** swap*** sw************* 0****** 0

redmondtux

*
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:

Redmond Tux wrote:
> A few weeks ago I reinstalled the latest version of Ubuntu (wanted a
> clean start) and discovered, to my unpleasant surprise, that Ubuntu
> doesn't recognize my RAID5 array.

> Previously, it was recognized as "Adaptec" (that's the hardware
> controller that all the drives are tethered to).

Are you expecting HAL to handle you non-removable media? *I would use

fstab for that.

> In My Computer, instead of showing "Adaptec" it just says "SCSI Drive".
> This to me suggests it isn't recognizing my array. I have looked around
> and can't find a solution.

Can you post the output of:

ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -l
df -Th
cat /etc/fstab

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Redmond Tux wrote:
> Okay, here's the output:
>
> $ ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -l
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-03-01 17:32
> 6c167cb1-5210-4bc0-9ebe-8deed516b7e5 -> ../../sdb1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-03-01 17:32
> f9d6790c-478c-43e1-bd56-e2ddf9bfa248 -> ../../sdb5

Well, it's only detecting two disks, one of which is your / and the
other of which is swap. I am somewhat surprised your RAID array is not
a listed device.

It may be a driver issue, but I don't have any further suggestions.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Redmond Tux wrote:
> A few weeks ago I reinstalled the latest version of Ubuntu (wanted a
> clean start) and discovered, to my unpleasant surprise, that Ubuntu
> doesn't recognize my RAID5 array.
>
> Previously, it was recognized as "Adaptec" (that's the hardware
> controller that all the drives are tethered to).

Who did recognize it as "Adaptec", i.e. which software did you use, when
it was correctly detected?

Eberhard

Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Redmond Tux

When I first installed Ubuntu, Ubuntu correctly detected it. The drives were listed as "Adaptec" in Nautilus. I wasn't using any special software.*Ubuntu doesn't detect it now and I don't understand why. Hence I am asking for help.

*
I am equally puzzled as to why it isn't being detected. The controller boots properly at startup after it powers on each Serial Attached*SCSI drive. No hardware issues.

*
I did update the firmware on the Adaptec controller before reinstalling Ubuntu, at Adaptec's urging... that's the only thing I can think of that would have changed with the hardware, but it was only a minor update. Shouldn't cause Ubuntu to stop recognizing the controller.

*
redmondtux