Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Andy

Default Intrepid: Keyboard/nouse won't respond till gdm restart

Hi all

just "upgraded" to 8.10 and now when my system starts the keyboard and
mouse don't work on the login screen.
Ctrl-Alt-F1 still works and allows me to login to a console.
Executing "sudo /etc/ini.d/gdm restart" fixes the problem once GDM has
restarted. But I have to do this at every boot.

Any idea what's wrong or where I should look for debug info?

Also had a problem with the version of wpa_supplicant shipped in
Intrepid, the -w (wait for interface to start) option appears to have
been removed and is no longer working with my configuration (using
ndiswrapper) so had to recompile an older version of wpa_supplicant to
actually get WiFi working.

Andy

--
$ fortune
bug, n:

Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Andy

Answering my own question.

Apparently this is a known bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/gdm/+bug/271138

Changing GDM runlevel to 25 as suggested in bug comments appears to
have fixed it.

To update run level I used the following commands (in case someone
else has the same problem):
sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
sudo update-rc.d gdm start 25 2 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 6 .

Thanks

Andy

--
$ fortune
bug, n:

Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
David Fox

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Andy <stude.list@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> just "upgraded" to 8.10 and now when my system starts the keyboard and
> mouse don't work on the login screen.

Is yours a wireless USB combo keyboard mouse? The reason I asked was
that I got bit by something similar - the machine froze up late last
night in that there was no keyboard or mouse, but other stuff was
running like amarok, so it wasn't a "hard" lockup.

When I rebooted, no keyboard & mouse, repeated, nothing, although I
didn't try ctrl-alt-F1 - not sure that would have worked if there were
no keyboard, or if the system couldn't talk to the USB slot the
keyboard & mouse combo were plugged into. This is my first experience
with a wireless keyboard & mouse anyway.

Eventually I "fixed" the issue by booting into an older kernel on my
system, which will have to suffice for now.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Andy

2009/3/1 David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>:
> Is yours a wireless USB combo keyboard mouse?

Yes.

> When I rebooted, no keyboard & mouse, repeated, nothing, although I
> didn't try ctrl-alt-F1 - not sure that would have worked if there were
> no keyboard, or if the system couldn't talk to the USB slot the
> keyboard & mouse combo were plugged into.

Depends on where the problem is. If its an X/Gdm problem then the
kernel can still intercept the Ctrl-Alt-F1 command sequence and switch
to console. Obviously if the kernel is not seeing the keyboard then
Ctrl-Alt-F1 won't work either,

I wouldn't have expected the system to start looking up once it's
running so you may have a different problem.

Andy

--
$ fortune
bug, n: