Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/254513-my-usb-keyboard-mouse-doesnt-seem-work-anymore.html)

David Fox 02-28-2009 06:06 PM

My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore
 
This just happened on a brand new box I bought last month.

I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid (but the same thing has happened on
Sabayon) x86-64 on it and it has been running smoothly until last
night. Suddenly the PC locked up and now I can't boot into the system.
I've tried both normal and recovery modes repeatedly to no avail.

What happens is that the system will usually spit out messages during
the bootup saying that the USB device is not accepting reads, and when
it finally boots up, I have no keyboard or mouse, and the only thing
to do at that point is hard power off the machine.

I've tried repeatedly to unplug and plug in the keyboard (it's a
Logitech cordless desktop EX 110, purchased at the same time I bought
the computer).

Oddly enough, the BIOS recognizes the USB keyboard at least, and also
the mouse, since I can see the info about that during the bios output
before I get the grub menu. And, I can navigate through the grub menu,
so at least the keyboard still works.

I am now trying a Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha 3 CD which boots fine, lets me
use the keyboard and mouse, so obviously something is wonked with
respect to the current installation of Ubuntu Intrepid on my box. I
tried both 2.6.27-9 and 2.6.27-11 kernels, and both normal and
recovery mode (the latter spits garbage over the menu, making it look
like it might be misinterpreting the keyboard).

Do I have any recourse but to reinstall at this point?



--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Charlie Kravetz 02-28-2009 06:15 PM

My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore
 
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:06:19 +0000
David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> This just happened on a brand new box I bought last month.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid (but the same thing has happened on
> Sabayon) x86-64 on it and it has been running smoothly until last
> night. Suddenly the PC locked up and now I can't boot into the system.
> I've tried both normal and recovery modes repeatedly to no avail.
>
> What happens is that the system will usually spit out messages during
> the bootup saying that the USB device is not accepting reads, and when
> it finally boots up, I have no keyboard or mouse, and the only thing
> to do at that point is hard power off the machine.
>
> I've tried repeatedly to unplug and plug in the keyboard (it's a
> Logitech cordless desktop EX 110, purchased at the same time I bought
> the computer).
>
> Oddly enough, the BIOS recognizes the USB keyboard at least, and also
> the mouse, since I can see the info about that during the bios output
> before I get the grub menu. And, I can navigate through the grub menu,
> so at least the keyboard still works.
>
> I am now trying a Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha 3 CD which boots fine, lets me
> use the keyboard and mouse, so obviously something is wonked with
> respect to the current installation of Ubuntu Intrepid on my box. I
> tried both 2.6.27-9 and 2.6.27-11 kernels, and both normal and
> recovery mode (the latter spits garbage over the menu, making it look
> like it might be misinterpreting the keyboard).
>
> Do I have any recourse but to reinstall at this point?
>

Obvious question, you did try new batteries, right. Also, I had one
that I had to reconnect using the buttons underneath every time I
started the system. Gave it away in frustration.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

David Fox 02-28-2009 06:34 PM

My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore
 
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz

> Obvious question, you did try new batteries, right. Also, I had one
> that I had to reconnect using the buttons underneath every time I

One would think that I would not have to replace the batteries, since
this system is only about a month old. The batteries that came with
the keyboard are Duracell alkaline. Surely they should last longer
than a month?

Besides, I'm typing on the same keyboard and using the same mouse on
the Alpha Jaunty CD (rev 3). So something must be at odds in 8.10.




--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

David Fox 02-28-2009 06:42 PM

My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore
 
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides, I'm typing on the same keyboard and using the same mouse on
> the Alpha Jaunty CD (rev 3). So something must be at odds in 8.10.

As a last resort, I booted into 2.6.27-7 and I have keyboard and
mouse. I guess I will have to live with this until Jaunty goes final.
:(


--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Charlie Kravetz 02-28-2009 10:05 PM

My USB keyboard / mouse doesn't seem to work anymore
 
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:34:26 +0000
David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz
>
> > Obvious question, you did try new batteries, right. Also, I had one
> > that I had to reconnect using the buttons underneath every time I
>
> One would think that I would not have to replace the batteries, since
> this system is only about a month old. The batteries that came with
> the keyboard are Duracell alkaline. Surely they should last longer
> than a month?
>
> Besides, I'm typing on the same keyboard and using the same mouse on
> the Alpha Jaunty CD (rev 3). So something must be at odds in 8.10.
>

Like I said, just a guess. I am using a Logitech S510 cordless keyboard
and mouse set, and they are working in Jaunty so far. They also work in
VBox with 8.10, but I haven't tried them on a hardware install of 8.10

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.