Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 PM
"Dirk Tamme"

Default PC-name in the network

Hi,
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with GNOME. The PC connects via a Netgear DSL router to the internet. When I logon to the configurational site of my router,
there is a list of all devices with IP-address, name and MAC. For example, my printer in the network is shown with name HP...
But, for my PC only IP-address and MAC are given, the name is shown as "unknown". During the installation of Ubuntu, the PC gets a name. What should I do so that my PC communicates its name to the router?

Thanks for any help,
Dirk T.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Paige Thompson

i think what you want to do is have the dhcp client specify a hostname when attempting to get a lease. of course this would imply that you want to use dhcp which if thats not the case then also specify a static dhcp lease given the machines mac address in which case-- you can rest assured that your router knows its you unless someone is spoofing your client's hardware mac address on your private network and steals your IP though of course your router would know you by a somewhat non-human readable name unless of course specifying a hostname in your dhcp client is also accounted for, too.

I believe specifying a hostname in the dhcp client configuration can be accomplished in ubuntu/gnome's network configuration manager.

-Adele

(sent from my gphone!)

Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 AM
NoOp

On 02/28/2009 10:15 AM, Dirk Tamme wrote:
> Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with GNOME. The PC connects via a Netgear
> DSL router to the internet. When I logon to the configurational site
> of my router, there is a list of all devices with IP-address, name
> and MAC. For example, my printer in the network is shown with name
> HP... But, for my PC only IP-address and MAC are given, the name is
> shown as "unknown". During the installation of Ubuntu, the PC gets a
> name. What should I do so that my PC communicates its name to the
> router?

System|Administration|Network|General|Host name: <yourpc/hostname>

The same will be in the following /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname