Old 02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Bill Wright

Default VGA Port

I am running 8.04 LTS on a Dell M1210 LT. I find that the VGA port on
the LT does not recognize my Acer 22 inch monitor which I like to use
from time to time when working on spread sheets.

I'd appreciate any input that might fix this problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:33:19 -0500
Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:

> I am running 8.04 LTS on a Dell M1210 LT. I find that the VGA port on
> the LT does not recognize my Acer 22 inch monitor which I like to use
> from time to time when working on spread sheets.
>
> I'd appreciate any input that might fix this problem.

It may not be fixable, depends on your hardware.

I have had the same problem for years.
So far my findings was that the problem was the video card and driver
combination.

Using an Nvidia card with the proprietary 3D driver always kept the DDC
call from retrieving the monitor's details ! Since the driver is
proprietary, there is zero hope that it will get fixed.

Once upon a time, I used an ATI card, with the free/open driver, and
this was able to detect my monitor just fine.

Unfortunately I have to use an nividia card as their proprietray driver
is has proved to be the only solution to get both a stable and glitch
free system, along with good 3D acceleration. With ATI I had to chose
between either quality (with the free driver) but sub-optimal (to say
the least) 3D acceleration, or the other way around, using the
proprietary driver which had good acceleration but was so buggy it was
completely unacceptable.

I am hoping to be able to switch to that exiting, promising, new open
source ATI driver ("radeonhd" http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd ) that's
been in development for over a year now, but it's not looking like it
will be ready for prime time any time soon sadly. So, for the time
being, I endure the Nvidia card&binary driver duo...

HTH,

--
Vince