Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Kaixi Luo

Default Internet got 4x slower after a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid

I just made a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer and the internet connection (ethernet connection via router) is 4x slower than before. For instance, I used to get a download speed of 450 KB/s and now the limit is 130 KB/s. Any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just made a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer and the internet
> connection (ethernet connection via router) is 4x slower than before. For
> instance, I used to get a download speed of 450 KB/s and now the limit is
> 130 KB/s. Any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.

Wire connection or Wireless?

L.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Kaixi Luo

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just made a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer and the internet

> connection (ethernet connection via router) is 4x slower than before. For

> instance, I used to get a download speed of 450 KB/s and now the limit is

> 130 KB/s. Any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.

Wire connection or Wireless?

L.

DSL wire connection.
I forgot to say that I didn't have this problem with Hardy.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Craig Huffstetler

Lucio and I were talking a bit via e-mail a few moments ago. I'm not
sure if he agrees with my views or not, but I bounced some ideas off
of him.

1) We both were unclear of how you were measuring your decrease in
speeds (the loss in "4x"). Can you let us know? Is it just by looking
at your download speeds in your applications? Which brings me to:

2) What applications are you using that you are noticing the decreased
speeds in?

For #2, if these applications use specific ports please make sure that
port forwarding is setup on your router. After a fresh install the
ports may have changed or the applications may have changed
completely.

Also, make sure that your local IP address is up-to-date on your
router for the ports. You can check your IP address in Ubuntu by
opening up a terminal and issuing the command:

test@test:~$ ifconfig

It will be under "eth*" (depending on your network card, for example
eth0, eth1, etc.). It will not be "lo." It will appear right beside
"inet addr:" Such as:
inet addr: 192.168.1.3

Cheers,

Craig

Old 02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Kaixi Luo

Lucio and I were talking a bit via e-mail a few moments ago. I'm not

sure if he agrees with my views or not, but I bounced some ideas off

of him.

1) We both were unclear of how you were measuring your decrease in

speeds (the loss in "4x"). Can you let us know? Is it just by looking

at your download speeds in your applications? Which brings me to:

2) What applications are you using that you are noticing the decreased

speeds in?

For #2, if these applications use specific ports please make sure that

port forwarding is setup on your router. After a fresh install the

ports may have changed or the applications may have changed

completely.

Also, make sure that your local IP address is up-to-date on your

router for the ports. You can check your IP address in Ubuntu by

opening up a terminal and issuing the command:

test@test:~$ ifconfig

It will be under "eth*" (depending on your network card, for example

eth0, eth1, etc.). It will not be "lo." It will appear right beside

"inet addr:" Such as:

inet addr: 192.168.1.3

Cheers,

Craig

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just made a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer and the internet

> connection (ethernet connection via router) is 4x slower than before. For

> instance, I used to get a download speed of 450 KB/s and now the limit is

> 130 KB/s. Any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.

Thanks you all for the time you took in helping me. I've just tested my broadband connection on another PC with Windows XP. I get the same problems there. This leads me to think it has nothing to do with Ubuntu. In the end, it all seems to be a issue with my ISP. After all, I can't say they provide me with a great service (I've already had some problems with them in the past)

Cheers,