Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Scott Abbey

Default Iphhone

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 19:24 -0500, stan wrote:
> IN talking to an Apple salesperson he indicated that I needed to install
> ITunes to supportan IPhone, if I buy one.
>
> Is there some software that runs under Ubuntu that will talk to the IPhone?
> Failing that has anyone isntalled ITunes under Wine?

In short, no. The iPhone is locked to iTunes. While people have managed
to get iTunes running under wine, it doesn't matter; wine won't talk to
USB ports.

You do still have a couple of options:
1. Install Windows in a virtual machine using VirtualBox [1]. This
is probably the best, most practical solution, if your hardware
is beefy enough to support it (> 1GB RAM, >1 GHz processor would
be my minimal suggestion; more is always better).
2. Dual boot with Windows. I can tell you from personal experience
that this is less than ideal. I could never bring myself to
reboot just to load whatever piece of Windows software I needed.
3. Jailbreak the iPhone, install SSH, and use SFTP to put music on
the phone. This is the most difficult, least reliable, and least
convenient way.

My suggestion is to stick with number one. It is the most convenient.
Just keep in mind that you must used the version of VirtualBox you get
from the website. The version in the Ubuntu repository does not include
USB support.

1. http://www.virtualbox.org

--
Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net>

Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Craig Huffstetler

I agree with Scott being an iPhone user myself. I depend on using VirtualBox for my iPhone needs. It works great.

If you can stick with Scott's option #1 you will be happy. If not, the other options will work (I have tried them all), but their difficulty levels are exactly as stated. Plus, sometimes #3 will get you into more trouble than it's worth.

Scott wrote:

* * 1. Install Windows in a virtual machine using VirtualBox [1]. This

is probably the best, most practical solution, if your hardware

is beefy enough to support it (> 1GB RAM, >1 GHz processor would
be my minimal suggestion; more is always better)
For the more advanced options (2/3), please view the following link for detailed instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

Good luck!

- Craig

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 AM