-   -   Why Basic installation of Ubuntu doesn't have codecs installed? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/254230-why-basic-installation-ubuntu-doesnt-have-codecs-installed.html)

Asha Rose 02-26-2009 12:19 PM

Why Basic installation of Ubuntu doesn't have codecs installed?

Hello there,

I would like to discuss one issue.

Ubuntu is getting really good popularity which is really appreciable.
One issue I have seen can be explained with a real life experience.

I started to use linux from 2006. The first Linux which was
introduced to me was Ubuntu as it is very user-friendly. Now I have
tried different Distros, still I am using Ubuntu on my personal
notebook. *I am from India and most of the people I know here are not
much familiar with ubuntu or any Linux distros.

So I suggested some of my friends and relatives to use ubuntu and they
happily agreed and installed it. Most of them are much interested into
listening to music. Also they were not connected to internet. After the
installation of Ubuntu, they liked it very much. when they tried to
play some songs with the players coming with the installation they got
irritated. The codecs for any player has to be installed from the
internet and they switched back to the other OS which they were using.

Is there any way to include the codecs with the players so that it will
come with the basic ubuntu installations. Almost all other things they
require are coming with ubuntu basic installations.

If I am posting the wrong thins please excuse me. Thank you so much to
all the ubuntu developers as ubuntu gave me a very good introduction to
Linux.
Asha Rose V
http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/wiki/index.php/Asha_Rose_V

Scott Abbey 02-28-2009 06:02 AM

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 18:49 +0530, Asha Rose wrote:
> Is there any way to include the codecs with the players so that it
> will come with the basic ubuntu installations. Almost all other things
> they require are coming with ubuntu basic installations.

Unfortunately, this is much more complicated than it seems. Codecs are
nearly all patented in some way or another. While this is not an issue
in many parts of the world (that don't have software patents), in other
parts (the United States) distributing the codecs is technically illegal
without paying a license fee. This is why the codecs don't come
installed by default, and there's really nothing that can be done about
it by Ubuntu.

It's a shame, but it's what we have to deal with.

--
Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net>

"Odzangba K. Dake" 02-28-2009 06:36 AM

Why Basic installation of Ubuntu doesn't have codecs installed?

On Thursday 26 February 2009 13:19:34 Asha Rose wrote:

<snip>

> Is there any way to include the codecs with the players so that it will

> come with the basic ubuntu installations. Almost all other things they

> require are coming with ubuntu basic installations.

Frustrating isn't it? While legal reasons prevent Canonical from shipping ubuntu with multimedia codecs, I don't think those reasons should stop you from creating your own custom ubuntu live cd with the codecs installed (it appears you at least have internet access and in all likelihood, have the codecs installed.) The easiest way to do this is to use remastersys. Search for remastersys in synaptic. It basically allows you to clone your system and turn it into a live cd, which you can then distribute to your friends and family.

--

Odzangba