Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Derek Broughton

Default apt-get update: (101 Network is Unreachable)

Joseph Linkous wrote:

> It seems almost everyone's gotten this error at one point or another,

Not _this_ one...

> Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources
> Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80
> (91.189.88.45).
> - connect (101 Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
> W: Failed to fetch

It sure looks like your network is unreachable. Are you _sure_ you are
connected?

Can you reach anything via a browser?
--
derek

Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Derek Broughton

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> In case I understood wrong, I think it would be better to begin with the
> desktop version and then strip it out of the GDM. It's not the same
> thing but it is a lot easier.

The downside (small) to that is that the desktop installs expect your
network connections to be handled by network-manager, and don't start the
connections until you login to the desktop, so you'd then have to
reconfigure the network, anyway.
--
derek

Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Joseph Linkous

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Joseph Linkous wrote:

> It seems almost everyone's gotten this error at one point or another,

Not _this_ one...

> Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources

> * Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80

> * (91.189.88.45).

> - connect (101 Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

> W: Failed to fetch

It sure looks like your network is unreachable. *Are you _sure_ you are

connected?

Can you reach anything via a browser?

--

derek

You're absolutely right, I wasn't connected. I could run nslookup on the address, but not a ping. Pestilence from the IRC channel walked me through a few things, then found that /etc/network/interfaces wasn't setup correctly. After a quick modification, I'm apt-get'ing like a pro.

Thanks for all the help!