Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Joseph Linkous

Default apt-get update: (101 Network is Unreachable)

It seems almost everyone's gotten this error at one point or another, with the sheer number of threads about it as evidence. The issue is there's many causes of and solutions to this problem. Being the noob that I am, I started opening .conf files here and deleting lines there, and not only have I not found the solution yet, but now I've got a bunch of files which probably don't work anymore. There's something to be said about making backups when you don't know what you're doing, that's for sure.

Since this is my first time setting up a Linux server and I'm not really making use of it at the moment, I want to run BOINC. However, my screen is being flooded by errors like this:

Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources

* Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.45). - connect (101 Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz* Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.45). - connect (101 Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]

I was working on it all morning, but I honestly couldn't give you guys a list of everything I changed to try to get this working.

What are your thoughts, all? I'm pretty new at this, but I feel it will be worth the effort (and fun!) to learn Ubuntu Server.

<Insert 'boohoo I'm going back to Windoze' here>

Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Joseph Linkous wrote:
> It seems almost everyone's gotten this error at one point or another,
> with the sheer number of threads about it as evidence. The issue is
> there's many causes of and solutions to this problem. Being the noob
> that I am, I started opening .conf files here and deleting lines
> there, and not only have I not found the solution yet, but now I've
> got a bunch of files which probably don't work anymore. There's
> something to be said about making backups when you don't know what
> you're doing, that's for sure.
>
> Since this is my first time setting up a Linux server and I'm not
> really making use of it at the moment, I want to run BOINC. However,
> my screen is being flooded by errors like this:
>
> Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources
> Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80
> <http://us.archive.ubuntu.com:80> (91.189.88.45). - connect (101
> Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80
> <http://us.archive.ubuntu.com:80> (91.189.88.45). - connect (101
> Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
>
> I was working on it all morning, but I honestly couldn't give you guys
> a list of everything I changed to try to get this working.
>
> What are your thoughts, all? I'm pretty new at this, but I feel it
> will be worth the effort (and fun!) to learn Ubuntu Server.
>
> <Insert 'boohoo I'm going back to Windoze' here>
(Could it be that you do not have an active internet connection?)

I understand that you are trying to set up an Ubuntu Server, thus no
graphic interface. I understand also that you are quite an experienced
Linux/vim user, brave enough to survive in the terminal world without
Gnome or the like to ease your life.

In case I understood wrong, I think it would be better to begin with the
desktop version and then strip it out of the GDM. It's not the same
thing but it is a lot easier.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1