Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
"Andrew P. Burgess"

Default Problem with Synaptic Package Manager

When I try to open Synaptic Package
Manager I get the following error message:
*
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must
manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E:_cache->open() failed, please
report.
*
I put 'dpkg --configure -a' into a
terminal, and got this message:
*
dpkg: requested operation requires
superuser privilege'
*
I'm pretty new to Linux, I'd appreciate
help on figuring out what to do. I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon as a virtual
machine with VirtualBox.
Thanks,
Andrew

Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Mike Dugger

That is the prompt I got which solved my "java install bug". You
actually need to type in:

'sudo dpkg --configure -a' and then provide your password to get it to run.

That fixed the problem I was having. I hope it works for you too.

- Mike

Old 12-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Peter Garrett

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:26:00 -0500
"Andrew P. Burgess" <apb@live.ca> wrote:

> When I try to open Synaptic Package Manager I get the following error message:
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
> E:_cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> I put 'dpkg --configure -a' into a terminal, and got this message:
>
> dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege'

run it as

sudo dpkg --configure -a

It will ask for your password - see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

For lots of other Ubuntu information, try

http://help.ubuntu.com

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
anthony baldwin

Andrew P. Burgess wrote:
> When I try to open Synaptic Package Manager I get the following error
> message:
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
> E:_cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> I put 'dpkg --configure -a' into a terminal, and got this message:
>
> dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege'
>
> I'm pretty new to Linux, I'd appreciate help on figuring out what to
> do. I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon as a virtual machine with VirtualBox.
> Thanks,
> Andrew
you really have to do
sudo dpkg --configure -a