FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Dave
 
Default computer will not boot into Ubuntu after successful install

Hi -- after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen, blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition that isn't on (hd0,0)?


I have posted several times on the forums without finding a solution yet. I've been working on this for weeks!


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Chris Mohler
 
Default computer will not boot into Ubuntu after successful install

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Dave <dave@davestechshop.net> wrote:
> Hi -- after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with
> 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen,
> blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for
> the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition
> that isn't on (hd0,0)?
>
> I have posted several times on the forums without finding a solution yet.
> I've been working on this for weeks!

Do you have any BIOS settings regarding the HD boot order? Probably
not, but might be worth a look.

What is on hd0? (what is on the other HDs, for that matter - it would
help if you could describe your setup a little more)

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Dave
 
Default computer will not boot into Ubuntu after successful install

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have BIOS settings for HD boot order. So far I have not found that to be a solution. My problem seems to lie with having a separate boot partition... no amount of changing BIOS settings has helped.


I am using separate partitions for:

/boot

/

/var

/tmp

swap

and a few custom mount points



every partition is encrypted except boot.

I think my problem is related to the (hdN,x) value given to grub...

Here's more info:

My computer has 10 HDDs:
1. a SCSI raid array with 4 drives - 15k RPM Cheetah. This is where I will put /home. (crypt)

2. a SATA raid controller with 4 drives
i. 2x WD740GD Raptors, RAID 1. This is where I will put "/". (crypt)
ii. 1x 1.5 TB Seagate drive. Encrypted. This is where I will keep a bunch of larger files.

3. two SATA drives on the motherboard
i. Samsung HD103UJ - no encryption. For videos, music, etc.
ii. Samsung HD103UJ - backup target. I'lll back up all important data from /home and other places here.


I'd prefer to use LVM (I think). Been reading that it is good, so I use the HDD as a physical volume for LVM, then I use the LV as a physical volume for encryption. Seems to work good on the other Ubuntu computers I have set up.


Regards,
Dave




On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Dave <dave@davestechshop.net> wrote:

> Hi -- after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with

> 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen,

> blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for

> the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition

> that isn't on (hd0,0)?

>

> I have posted several times on the forums without finding a solution yet.

> I've been working on this for weeks!



Do you have any BIOS settings regarding the HD boot order? *Probably

not, but might be worth a look.



What is on hd0? *(what is on the other HDs, for that matter - it would

help if you could describe your setup a little more)



Chris



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Dave
 
Default computer will not boot into Ubuntu after successful install

Sorry, I left out one HDD. Here's the corrected list:

My computer has 10 HDDs in 6 physical volumes (I said 5 earlier because I had pulled one HDD out temporarily).
1. a SCSI raid array with 4 drives - 15k RPM Cheetah. This is where I will put /home. (crypt)


2. a SATA raid controller with 4 drives
i. 2x WD740GD Raptors, RAID 1. This is where I will put "/". (crypt)
ii. 1x 1.5 TB Seagate drive for /var and this is where I will keep a bunch of larger files. (crypt)

iii. 1x 120 GB Seagate drive for /tmp, swap and other data of little importance.

3. two SATA drives on the motherboard
i. Samsung HD103UJ - no encryption. For videos, music, etc.
ii. Samsung HD103UJ - backup target. I'lll back up all important data from /home and other places here.



Goals:
1. encrypted volumes
2. use separate spindles for /home, /, /var, /tmp for getting performance.

These goals necessiate a separate /boot paritition as well as spreading other partitions across several drives.


Basically, I cannot get Ubuntu to boot while meeting these goals. However, I believe many people must have done this already. I just can't figure it out.

Regards,
Dave

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Dave <dave@davestechshop.net> wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have BIOS settings for HD boot order. So far I have not found that to be a solution. My problem seems to lie with having a separate boot partition... no amount of changing BIOS settings has helped.



I am using separate partitions for:

/boot

/

/var

/tmp

swap

and a few custom mount points



every partition is encrypted except boot.

I think my problem is related to the (hdN,x) value given to grub...

Here's more info:

My computer has 10 HDDs:
1. a SCSI raid array with 4 drives - 15k RPM Cheetah. This is where I will put /home. (crypt)


2. a SATA raid controller with 4 drives
i. 2x WD740GD Raptors, RAID 1. This is where I will put "/". (crypt)
ii. 1x 1.5 TB Seagate drive. Encrypted. This is where I will keep a bunch of larger files.


3. two SATA drives on the motherboard
i. Samsung HD103UJ - no encryption. For videos, music, etc.
ii. Samsung HD103UJ - backup target. I'lll back up all important data from /home and other places here.



I'd prefer to use LVM (I think). Been reading that it is good, so I use the HDD as a physical volume for LVM, then I use the LV as a physical volume for encryption. Seems to work good on the other Ubuntu computers I have set up.



Regards,
Dave




On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:


On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Dave <dave@davestechshop.net> wrote:

> Hi -- after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with

> 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen,

> blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for

> the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition

> that isn't on (hd0,0)?

>

> I have posted several times on the forums without finding a solution yet.

> I've been working on this for weeks!



Do you have any BIOS settings regarding the HD boot order? *Probably

not, but might be worth a look.



What is on hd0? *(what is on the other HDs, for that matter - it would

help if you could describe your setup a little more)



Chris



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org