Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Serial Port Terminal Program

I am using GtkTerm and streaming data off and on at 19200 baud, and it
is losing data. There is no hand shaking hardware or software. (It is
custom HW I am developing and testing.)

Is there a better terminal program that does not lose data at that
relatively slow speed? (I have also seen it lose data at 9600 baud.) I
am trying to capture the data to a file for review later.

I have a 2.8 GHz AMD with 1 GB RAM. Nothing fancy.

I may have to go back to a DOS program, or Hyper Terminal on XP.

Thanks,
Kip
--

Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...
Four Way Test

Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> I am using GtkTerm and streaming data off and on at 19200 baud, and it
> is losing data. There is no hand shaking hardware or software. (It is
> custom HW I am developing and testing.)
>
> Is there a better terminal program that does not lose data at that
> relatively slow speed? (I have also seen it lose data at 9600 baud.) I
> am trying to capture the data to a file for review later.
>
> I have a 2.8 GHz AMD with 1 GB RAM. Nothing fancy.
>
> I may have to go back to a DOS program, or Hyper Terminal on XP.

I find it unlikely it's losing data, but there are lots of alternatives.

xterm has been around forever, gnome-terminal and konsole are popular,
and there's only about 1000 more choices in Synaptic you could try.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:45:04 -0600
Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

> I am using GtkTerm and streaming data off and on at 19200 baud, and it
> is losing data. There is no hand shaking hardware or software. (It is
> custom HW I am developing and testing.)
>
> Is there a better terminal program that does not lose data at that
> relatively slow speed? (I have also seen it lose data at 9600 baud.) I
> am trying to capture the data to a file for review later.

What a coincidence !
I am also using Gtkterm to debug the UART routines of the embedded
hardware I am working on (Atmel AVR chip, UART at 8192 Bauds). I have
been banging my head on the wall because I noticed that when I send a 14
byte data frame to Gtkterm, somehow 3 bytes in the frame, always at the
same place in the frame, are not received properly by gtkterm... but
when sending shorter frames (3 or 4 bytes), it works fine.
I thought (logically!) that my hardware was at fault, but I am not so
sure now, because "sniffing" the UART with a custom made hardware
terminal, I get no errors ! Thanks to your post, I can now stop
worrying about my hardware and just consider the possibility that
Gtkterm is somehow not receiving the data correctly (and just leave with
it) !

> I may have to go back to a DOS program, or Hyper Terminal on XP.

You may well have to indeed. Gtkterm is the only "hyperterminal"
equivalent I found on Linux. The other terminal program everybody
repeatedly suggests me is "minicom", but it's a major PITA to use, as
it's meant to emulate a "real" terminal, so it's way to complex and
overkill, and not as practical as gtkterm, for the needs of debugging an
embedded system.

But your idea is great... I will just use my WinXP virtual machine to
run hyperterminal to confirm that my hardware works fine and that it's
indeed Gtkterm that's faulty.
I don't know of any hyperterminal-like program for MS-DOS, if you do
please share with me ;-)

--
Vince

Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:12:24 -0500
Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it unlikely it's losing data, but there are lots of alternatives.

Really ?

> xterm has been around forever, gnome-terminal and konsole are popular,
> and there's only about 1000 more choices in Synaptic you could try.

I am using gnome-terminal all day long, but I just can't see how it can
do what gtkterm does ? Maybe you misunderstood the purpose of gtkterm ?

--
Vince

Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr> wrote:
> The other terminal program everybody
> repeatedly suggests me is "minicom", but it's a major PITA to use, as
> it's meant to emulate a "real" terminal, so it's way to complex and
> overkill, and not as practical as gtkterm, for the needs of debugging an
> embedded system.

Vince - I believe I suggested using 'screen' earlier? It will connect
directly to the /dev/tty port. Does that accomplish what you need?

Brian

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:22:34 -0500
Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Vince - I believe I suggested using 'screen' earlier?

No.

> It will connect directly to the /dev/tty port. Does that accomplish what you need?

From the description, it's a terminal emulator so no good.
If it can attach directly to the serial port without any terminal
emulation nor flow control, the perhaps it could be used, but it would
take more than just that to make it as useful and easy/efficient to use
as Gtkterm unfortunately.
So far screen looks like minicom, too versatile, not straiught enough
to the point/easy.

"we" really need a clone of gtkterm.. because it was written by a
fellow electronic designer, so it is 100% to the point, with just the
right features, easily accessible. It allows one to be prodcutive and
efficient. All other terminal program are more geared towards computing
rather electronic design. The author of Gtkterm said "I wrote Gtkterm
because none of the available terminal programs offered an easy way to
debug UART communication on embedded electronics". He wrote this several
years ago, and as far as I can see, the situation is very much the same
today as it was when he wrote it.
It's annoying because Gtkterm is quite buggy sadly, and unfortunately
unmaintained. But even buggy, it's still the only terminal program that
allows one do debugging work easily/painlessly.
I guess looing for similar programs on MS-DOS or Windows and running
them via emulators or VM's, it the only other option. Pfff...

--
Vince

Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 20:40 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:22:34 -0500
> Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Vince - I believe I suggested using 'screen' earlier?
>
> No.
>
> > It will connect directly to the /dev/tty port. Does that accomplish what you need?
>
> >From the description, it's a terminal emulator so no good.
> If it can attach directly to the serial port without any terminal
> emulation nor flow control, the perhaps it could be used, but it would
> take more than just that to make it as useful and easy/efficient to use
> as Gtkterm unfortunately.
> So far screen looks like minicom, too versatile, not straiught enough
> to the point/easy.
>
> "we" really need a clone of gtkterm.. because it was written by a
> fellow electronic designer, so it is 100% to the point, with just the
> right features, easily accessible. It allows one to be prodcutive and
> efficient. All other terminal program are more geared towards computing
> rather electronic design. The author of Gtkterm said "I wrote Gtkterm
> because none of the available terminal programs offered an easy way to
> debug UART communication on embedded electronics". He wrote this several
> years ago, and as far as I can see, the situation is very much the same
> today as it was when he wrote it.
> It's annoying because Gtkterm is quite buggy sadly, and unfortunately
> unmaintained. But even buggy, it's still the only terminal program that
> allows one do debugging work easily/painlessly.
> I guess looing for similar programs on MS-DOS or Windows and running
> them via emulators or VM's, it the only other option. Pfff...
>

> --
> Vince

It seems like a simple terminal program with enough of a buffer to not
lose data while the screen is updating would be a no brainer. I do not
need all kinds of bells and whistles.

Unfortunately I do not have time to try all 1000 choices in Synaptic. It
would be nice to have something in the distribution that worked
correctly.

I guess I have to stop being productive to try to find something that
works.

Kip

Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
NoOp

On 02/27/2009 09:45 AM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I am using GtkTerm and streaming data off and on at 19200 baud, and it
> is losing data. There is no hand shaking hardware or software. (It is
> custom HW I am developing and testing.)
>
> Is there a better terminal program that does not lose data at that
> relatively slow speed? (I have also seen it lose data at 9600 baud.) I
> am trying to capture the data to a file for review later.

gtkterm doesn't seem to be well updated/maintained upstream:
https://launchpad.net/gtkterm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkterm/
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtkterm

> I have a 2.8 GHz AMD with 1 GB RAM. Nothing fancy.
>
> I may have to go back to a DOS program, or Hyper Terminal on XP.

Have a look in Synaptic: Sections|Communication + (multiverse &
universe). You can also do a standard search there as well for 'serial';
you'll find gkermit, screen, etc., etc. I can't recommend one as I've
not used a serial port since the days of troubleshooting usarts, but as
Brian pointed out, there's quite a few there to try.

For a DOS program, you can run via DOSbox or DOSemu.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:58:15 -0600
Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

> I guess I have to stop being productive to try to find something that
> works.

When you do, please tell me what you found ! ;-)
Be it Linux, DOS or Windows...

--
Vince

Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Kipton Moravec

Actually I have a simple DOS one that works in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows
95, and Windows 98 without problems. It is called MAXTERM and it came
with the my 8051 development kit from New Micros about 13 years ago.
http://www.newmicros.com

I have to get a DOS or Windows 98 machine going again.

Kip