Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Video Memory

Hello,

I have an Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card onboard my motherboard that
uses shared memory. In the bios of my machine it is allocated 128 MBs of
RAM from my meager 512 MB system RAM.

For some reason, every program I have used to inspect the video
parameters report that my video card is using 256 MBs of RAM. This
includes "nvidia-settings -a" which reports " Attribute 'VideoRam'
(ray-desktop:0.0): 262144." which when divided by 1024 yields exactly
256 MBs. Also the sysinfo gui program at Applications, System Tools,
Sysinfo reports 256 MB.

free reports 384436 bytes total RAM, which when divided by 1024 gives
375.42578125 MBs.

Are there any other commands which can return the amount of video memory
in use? I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the man files
searching for one, and haven't found anything yet.

Is it possible for Ubuntu to over ride the bios setting and allocate
more RAM to the video card?

I'm not experiencing any problems, but I am curious why everything keeps
telling me the video card is using 256 MBs of RAM.

Thanks, Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card onboard my motherboard that
> uses shared memory. In the bios of my machine it is allocated 128 MBs of
> RAM from my meager 512 MB system RAM.
>
> For some reason, every program I have used to inspect the video
> parameters report that my video card is using 256 MBs of RAM. This
> includes "nvidia-settings -a" which reports " Attribute 'VideoRam'
> (ray-desktop:0.0): 262144." which when divided by 1024 yields exactly
> 256 MBs. Also the sysinfo gui program at Applications, System Tools,
> Sysinfo reports 256 MB.
>
> free reports 384436 bytes total RAM, which when divided by 1024 gives
> 375.42578125 MBs.
>
> Are there any other commands which can return the amount of video memory
> in use? I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the man files
> searching for one, and haven't found anything yet.
>
> Is it possible for Ubuntu to over ride the bios setting and allocate
> more RAM to the video card?
>
> I'm not experiencing any problems, but I am curious why everything keeps
> telling me the video card is using 256 MBs of RAM.
>
> Thanks, Later, Ray Parrish

Is it possible to edit your BIOS configuration and restrict the amount
of memory reserved for video?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Ray Parrish

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card onboard my motherboard that
>> uses shared memory. In the bios of my machine it is allocated 128 MBs of
>> RAM from my meager 512 MB system RAM.
>>
>> For some reason, every program I have used to inspect the video
>> parameters report that my video card is using 256 MBs of RAM. This
>> includes "nvidia-settings -a" which reports " Attribute 'VideoRam'
>> (ray-desktop:0.0): 262144." which when divided by 1024 yields exactly
>> 256 MBs. Also the sysinfo gui program at Applications, System Tools,
>> Sysinfo reports 256 MB.
>>
>> free reports 384436 bytes total RAM, which when divided by 1024 gives
>> 375.42578125 MBs.
>>
>> Are there any other commands which can return the amount of video memory
>> in use? I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the man files
>> searching for one, and haven't found anything yet.
>>
>> Is it possible for Ubuntu to over ride the bios setting and allocate
>> more RAM to the video card?
>>
>> I'm not experiencing any problems, but I am curious why everything keeps
>> telling me the video card is using 256 MBs of RAM.
>>
>> Thanks, Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Is it possible to edit your BIOS configuration and restrict the amount
> of memory reserved for video?
>
> L.

Hello,

The video card is already set to use only 128 MB in the BIOS. That's why
I was asking if it was possible for the operating system to over ride
the BIOS, and give the video card more RAM.

I would also like to know if anyone knows a command that I can use to
double check the amount of RAM in use by the video card. All I can find
to check it with is the nvidia-settings command that comes with the
board's driver, and the Sysinfo program, neither of which I trust much.

OK. I've figured it out.

I used cat and ls to explore the /proc/ file system until I found the
following information.

ray@ray-desktop:~$ cat /proc/iomem
00000000-0009efff : System RAM
0009f000-0009ffff : reserved
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area

I then fired up my calculator, and converted those hex numbers to
decimal, and subtracted the small one from the big one, then divided the
result by 1024 to convert to MB's, and I get 127.999023438 which when
rounded off is 128 MB's of RAM, just like the BIOS has it set to. I
thought those two programs were wrong!

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card onboard my motherboard that
>>> uses shared memory. In the bios of my machine it is allocated 128 MBs of
>>> RAM from my meager 512 MB system RAM.
>>>
>>> For some reason, every program I have used to inspect the video
>>> parameters report that my video card is using 256 MBs of RAM. This
>>> includes "nvidia-settings -a" which reports " Attribute 'VideoRam'
>>> (ray-desktop:0.0): 262144." which when divided by 1024 yields exactly
>>> 256 MBs. Also the sysinfo gui program at Applications, System Tools,
>>> Sysinfo reports 256 MB.
>>>
>>> free reports 384436 bytes total RAM, which when divided by 1024 gives
>>> 375.42578125 MBs.
>>>
>>> Are there any other commands which can return the amount of video memory
>>> in use? I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the man files
>>> searching for one, and haven't found anything yet.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for Ubuntu to over ride the bios setting and allocate
>>> more RAM to the video card?
>>>
>>> I'm not experiencing any problems, but I am curious why everything keeps
>>> telling me the video card is using 256 MBs of RAM.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

> Hello,
>
> The video card is already set to use only 128 MB in the BIOS. That's why
> I was asking if it was possible for the operating system to over ride
> the BIOS, and give the video card more RAM.
>
> I would also like to know if anyone knows a command that I can use to
> double check the amount of RAM in use by the video card. All I can find
> to check it with is the nvidia-settings command that comes with the
> board's driver, and the Sysinfo program, neither of which I trust much.
>
> OK. I've figured it out.
>
> I used cat and ls to explore the /proc/ file system until I found the
> following information.
>
> ray@ray-desktop:~$ cat /proc/iomem
> 00000000-0009efff : System RAM
> 0009f000-0009ffff : reserved
> 000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
>
> I then fired up my calculator, and converted those hex numbers to
> decimal, and subtracted the small one from the big one, then divided the
> result by 1024 to convert to MB's, and I get 127.999023438 which when
> rounded off is 128 MB's of RAM, just like the BIOS has it set to. I
> thought those two programs were wrong!
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Sorry, read too quickly and misunderstood, thought you wanted some more
RAM available. Could your Nvidia have any resident memory, besides RAM?

Explored my own mem and I guess the numbers you get are bytes, so
dividing by 1024 you would end up with Kbytes, not Mb.

L.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Ray Parrish

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The video card is already set to use only 128 MB in the BIOS. That's why
>> I was asking if it was possible for the operating system to over ride
>> the BIOS, and give the video card more RAM.
>>
>> I would also like to know if anyone knows a command that I can use to
>> double check the amount of RAM in use by the video card. All I can find
>> to check it with is the nvidia-settings command that comes with the
>> board's driver, and the Sysinfo program, neither of which I trust much.
>>
>> OK. I've figured it out.
>>
>> I used cat and ls to explore the /proc/ file system until I found the
>> following information.
>>
>> ray@ray-desktop:~$ cat /proc/iomem
>> 00000000-0009efff : System RAM
>> 0009f000-0009ffff : reserved
>> 000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
>>
>> I then fired up my calculator, and converted those hex numbers to
>> decimal, and subtracted the small one from the big one, then divided the
>> result by 1024 to convert to MB's, and I get 127.999023438 which when
>> rounded off is 128 MB's of RAM, just like the BIOS has it set to. I
>> thought those two programs were wrong!
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Sorry, read too quickly and misunderstood, thought you wanted some more
> RAM available. Could your Nvidia have any resident memory, besides RAM?
>
> Explored my own mem and I guess the numbers you get are bytes, so
> dividing by 1024 you would end up with Kbytes, not Mb.

Well, I'm pretty sure it has at least 128 MB's of RAM. I just ran lspci
and it reports the following. I've added a couple of blank lines to make
it easier to find the lines with the RAM listings.

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C51G
[GeForce 6100] [10de:0242] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc Unknown device [1509:6006]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20

Region 0: Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Region 3: Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 30000000 [disabled] [size=128K]

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000

Once more the claim is made by a program that it is using 256 MB's of
RAM, and this time also an additional 32 MB's along with it, and a 128
KB ROM to boot! Oh well, it doesn't seem to be slowing me down any.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

> Well, I'm pretty sure it has at least 128 MB's of RAM. I just ran lspci
> and it reports the following. I've added a couple of blank lines to make
> it easier to find the lines with the RAM listings.
>
> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C51G
> [GeForce 6100] [10de:0242] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> * *Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc Unknown device [1509:6006]
> * *Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> * *Latency: 0
> * *Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
>
> * *Region 0: Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
> * *Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> * *Region 3: Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
> * *[virtual] Expansion ROM at 30000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>
> * *Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
> * * * *Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
> * * * *Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
> * *Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> * * * *Address: 0000000000000000 *Data: 0000
>
> Once more the claim is made by a program that it is using 256 MB's of
> RAM, and this time also an additional 32 MB's along with it, and a 128
> KB ROM to boot! Oh well, it doesn't seem to be slowing me down any.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Please correct me if I'm wrong, seems your video board has indeed a
resident memory of 256Mb, and requires at least another 128 Mb (RAM
memory) for managing, thus leaving 384Mb of free RAM. (?)

L.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Ray Parrish

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> Well, I'm pretty sure it has at least 128 MB's of RAM. I just ran lspci
>> and it reports the following. I've added a couple of blank lines to make
>> it easier to find the lines with the RAM listings.
>>
>> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C51G
>> [GeForce 6100] [10de:0242] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>> Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc Unknown device [1509:6006]
>> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
>> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>> Latency: 0
>> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
>>
>> Region 0: Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>> Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>> Region 3: Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>> [virtual] Expansion ROM at 30000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>>
>> Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
>> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
>> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>> Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
>> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>> Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
>>
>> Once more the claim is made by a program that it is using 256 MB's of
>> RAM, and this time also an additional 32 MB's along with it, and a 128
>> KB ROM to boot! Oh well, it doesn't seem to be slowing me down any.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, seems your video board has indeed a
> resident memory of 256Mb, and requires at least another 128 Mb (RAM
> memory) for managing, thus leaving 384Mb of free RAM. (?)
>
> L.

Well , unless someone snuck into my house, and installed some extra RAM
in my computer that I haven't noticed yet, the video card using 256 MB's
of RAM only leaves my main RAM with the other half of the 512 MB's in my
machine which is 256 MB's as well. Of course I do have a one GB swap
file in use as well, so maybe I am running with only 256 MB's available
to the cpu.

No, that can't be right, because if I run the free command, it reports
384 MB's of total physical RAM available to the system, plus the swap
file. I just think *something* is fooling all of these other programs
into reporting 256 MB's for the video card, and it's really only running
128 MB's.

Here's the output of the free command.

ray@ray-desktop:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 375 366 9 0 0 51
-/+ buffers/cache: 314 60
Swap: 1023 501 522

Here's another little oddity. This is what lspci reports for my cpu --

Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]

And I know that I have an AMD Sempron 3400+ in this machine. Yep, I just
fired up Sysinfo from the System Tools menu, and it reports this -- AMD
Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ I don't think lspci is working very well.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

> Well , unless someone snuck into my house, and installed some extra RAM
> in my computer that I haven't noticed yet, the video card using 256 MB's
> of RAM only leaves my main RAM with the other half of the 512 MB's in my
> machine which is 256 MB's as well. Of course I do have a one GB swap
> file in use as well, so maybe I am running with only 256 MB's available
> to the cpu.
>
> No, that can't be right, because if I run the free command, it reports
> 384 MB's of total physical RAM available to the system, plus the swap
> file. I just think *something* is fooling all of these other programs
> into reporting 256 MB's for the video card, and it's really only running
> 128 MB's.
>
> Here's the output of the free command.
>
> ray@ray-desktop:~$ free -m
> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
> Mem: * * * * * 375 * * * *366 * * * * *9 * * * * *0 * * * * *0 * * * * 51
> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * *314 * * * * 60
> Swap: * * * * 1023 * * * *501 * * * *522
>
> Here's another little oddity. This is what lspci reports for my cpu --
>
> Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
>
> And I know that I have an AMD Sempron 3400+ in this machine. Yep, I just
> fired up Sysinfo from the System Tools menu, and it reports this *-- AMD
> Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ I don't think lspci is working very well.

Well, I give up, lack of knowledge.

Do you have this app. installed? nvidia-xconfig. In my system it
reports the board resident
memory plus the additional ram assigned (for me 256+256).

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidia-xconfig/nvidia-xconfig-1.0.tar.gz
or probably Synaptic

Best Regards and sorry I couldn't help.

Lucio

Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

>> No, that can't be right, because if I run the free command, it reports
>> 384 MB's of total physical RAM available to the system, plus the swap
>> file. I just think *something* is fooling all of these other programs
>> into reporting 256 MB's for the video card, and it's really only running
>> 128 MB's.
>>
>> Here's the output of the free command.
>>
>> ray@ray-desktop:~$ free -m
>> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
>> Mem: * * * * * 375 * * * *366 * * * * *9 * * * * *0 * * * * *0 * * * * 51
>> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * *314 * * * * 60
>> Swap: * * * * 1023 * * * *501 * * * *522
>>

> Best Regards and sorry I couldn't help.
>
> Lucio

Back to business,

Made some tests w/ my board (onboard nvidia)

Independent of the amount of memory allocated for BIOS frame buffers
(from 32 to 512) the following is always the same (i.e. not correct)

lspci -v -s 02:00.0
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8200 (rev a2)
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device cb84
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at fa000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at feae0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb

nvidia-xconfig shows either 256Mb or 512Mb of video memory depending
on the frame buffer size but only these numbers (i.e. not correct)

The amount of memory available ( F.I. cat /proc/meminfo) reflects yes
(by subtraction) the allocated frame buffer. (correct)

So it seems that it is difficult for linux to directly assess the
amount of allocated video memory, (try googling it, got some hits but
didn't take note) and most commands return questionable values.

L.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>> No, that can't be right, because if I run the free command, it reports
>>> 384 MB's of total physical RAM available to the system, plus the swap
>>> file. I just think *something* is fooling all of these other programs
>>> into reporting 256 MB's for the video card, and it's really only running
>>> 128 MB's.
>>>
>>> Here's the output of the free command.
>>>
>>> ray@ray-desktop:~$ free -m
>>> total used free shared buffers cached
>>> Mem: 375 366 9 0 0 51
>>> -/+ buffers/cache: 314 60
>>> Swap: 1023 501 522
>>>

>> Best Regards and sorry I couldn't help.
>>
>> Lucio
>>

> Back to business,
>
> Made some tests w/ my board (onboard nvidia)
>
> Independent of the amount of memory allocated for BIOS frame buffers
> (from 32 to 512) the following is always the same (i.e. not correct)
>
> lspci -v -s 02:00.0
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8200 (rev a2)
> Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device cb84
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
> Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
> Memory at fa000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
> I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
> [virtual] Expansion ROM at feae0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: nvidia
> Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb
>
> nvidia-xconfig shows either 256Mb or 512Mb of video memory depending
> on the frame buffer size but only these numbers (i.e. not correct)
>
> The amount of memory available ( F.I. cat /proc/meminfo) reflects yes
> (by subtraction) the allocated frame buffer. (correct)
>
> So it seems that it is difficult for linux to directly assess the
> amount of allocated video memory, (try googling it, got some hits but
> didn't take note) and most commands return questionable values.
>
> L.

Many computers used to have a fixed on-board 64MByte memory. Wouldn't
this explain your numbers? What does the manual say?
Just a thought.