Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
NoOp

Default Video Memory

On 03/02/2009 03:15 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:

> Yes! I did find that interesting reading. The Nvidia page specified the
> 6200 series cards where mine is a 6100 series, but I suppose the same
> could apply to them as well. I tried to use the search on that page to
> discover any more articles of that nature, and it couldn't even find the
> article I was reading. How in the world did you find it?

Click on the "Search" button - memory is already in the search bar
"Search by Keyword".

Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Yes! I did find that interesting reading. The Nvidia page specified the
> 6200 series cards where mine is a 6100 series, but I suppose the same
> could apply to them as well. I tried to use the search on that page to
> discover any more articles of that nature, and it couldn't even find the
> article I was reading. How in the world did you find it?
>
> I ran the two pmap commands, and the second one returned the highest
> amount, which when divided by 1024 to get MB's revealed a total of 63.5
> MB's in use. The other returned 61 MB's.
>
> I was just in Windows, and it's System Information program reported 128
> MB's of video RAM. When I rebooted I decided to try an experiment, and
> went into the BIOS, and changed the video RAM setting to 64 MB's. After
> logging into Ubuntu, I find it still claims 256 MB's via SysInfo, and
> the Nvidia X Server Settings GUI application.
>
> Likewise the "nvidia-settings --query all" command returns a value of
> 256 MB's.
>
> Having changed the video RAM setting in the BIOS seems to have had no
> effect on the performance of Ubuntu. I do not that free now reports a
> total of 438 MB's of system RAM, which differs from it's previous
> reports of 384 MB's with the previous BIOS setting of 128 MB's for the
> video RAM.
>
> I have yet to read the pmap man page, and ran those commands without
> looking them up first. I trusted you that time, NoOp, but don't count on
> it in the future. 8-) I usually look up commands I find here first to
> make sure they're OK.
>
> So... I guess it's possible that Ubuntu is allowing me to access VRAM
> that exists on the onboard card that Windows apparently doesn't know
> about. Very odd.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Ray,

Providing your board is a FIC K8MC51G

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/FIC/K8MC51G/

it has an onboard video based on the

Chipset Nvidia Geforce 6100 nForce 410 (and not any video board Nv 6100)

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/chipsets_d/Nvidia/Geforce+6100+nForce+410/

and no resident memory at all, depending on RAM for every bit of dynamic
memory needed.

It was your first impression and I now also believe the video chipset is
using only the BIOS allocated frame buffer, any other conflicting
information being misunderstood or incorrect. At least it is what I see
in my own onboard NVidia 8200 (up to 256 Mb). As to why all these
different numbers, I remain clueless.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - So Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Zach

I've been experimenting w/ Ubuntu 11.4 beta (2) and was wondering
just how much video card memory is required in order for everything to
run smooth. I currently have an nVidia 9500GT with one gig of video RAM
and while it does great in "classic" Ubuntu mode w/o effects turned on,
the same can't be said when the effects are on or in the Unity desktop
(which I'm not thrilled with anyway but that's another thread for
another time). Now granted the 9500GT isn't top of the line but I would
think I could run a 3-D app/game without the choppy display when using
Compiz in the background in classic or Unity mode. Does this behavior
clear up with cards having more RAM and/or faster chips? Been thinking
about getting a new video card anyway but would like to know where to
start as far as what the video processor speed and RAM threshold is.
Thanks for any advice.

Zach

Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 06:43 -0500, Zach wrote:
> I've been experimenting w/ Ubuntu 11.4 beta (2) and was wondering
> just how much video card memory is required in order for everything to
> run smooth. I currently have an nVidia 9500GT with one gig of video RAM
> and while it does great in "classic" Ubuntu mode w/o effects turned on,
> the same can't be said when the effects are on or in the Unity desktop
> (which I'm not thrilled with anyway but that's another thread for
> another time). Now granted the 9500GT isn't top of the line but I would
> think I could run a 3-D app/game without the choppy display when using
> Compiz in the background in classic or Unity mode. Does this behavior
> clear up with cards having more RAM and/or faster chips? Been thinking
> about getting a new video card anyway but would like to know where to
> start as far as what the video processor speed and RAM threshold is.
> Thanks for any advice.

I think it has more to do with Compiz than it does your video card. At
any rate, on all of the 3D apps that I use, every one has the caveat to
turn off Compiz in their HOWTO's. Sorry to report, so far that is the
way to make them work in my case, as I think Compiz is the shiznit! I
LIKE the eye-candy too!

The only reason I run KDE is that I like being able to move my mouse
pointer to the edge of the screen, up, down, left or right, and move
into the next workspace, without clicking on some #$%^& workspace icon.
Why Gnome doesn't have that, without enabling Compiz, is beyond me.
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Dennis Lewis

I’m working with a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on this computer. Everything seems to work ok except my wireless, I went through a lot of troubleshooting issues and can`t enable wireless. I get a message that says “Quote" dhcpcd wireless problems. dhcpcd wlan0 removes essid entry in iwconfig. Any suggestions?
*www.http://lewis4884.web.officelive.com
http://www.freegifts4kids.com/133.html
https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=5ZVSSRGR56EV4

This bottom link is a good link for your business, Check it out!! Watch the video. {Free Trial}
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-4251306-10808140

Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Colin Law

On 16 April 2011 22:22, Dennis Lewis <dlewis5334@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I’m working with a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on
> this computer. Everything seems to work ok except my wireless, I went
> through a lot of troubleshooting issues and can`t enable wireless. I get a
> message that says “Quote" dhcpcd wireless problems. dhcpcd wlan0 removes
> essid entry in iwconfig. Any suggestions?

What has that got to do with the subject of this thread, Video Memory?
Start a new thread for a new issue.

Colin

Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
chris

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 22:28 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 16 April 2011 22:22, Dennis Lewis <dlewis5334@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I’m working with a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on
> > this computer. Everything seems to work ok except my wireless, I went
> > through a lot of troubleshooting issues and can`t enable wireless. I get a
> > message that says “Quote" dhcpcd wireless problems. dhcpcd wlan0 removes
> > essid entry in iwconfig. Any suggestions?
>
> What has that got to do with the subject of this thread, Video Memory?
> Start a new thread for a new issue.
>
> Colin

And don't top post
CT