Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Default More noise....(was: thunderbird 3 packaged?)

Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

Thank you very much for your anwser (1 line)
But why adding so much useless text _after_ ?

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
Phone: +261 33 11 207 36

Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

Thank you very much for your anwser (1 line)
But why adding so much useless text _after_ ?

I don't add it - the company email servers add it automatically and
there's nothing I can do about it other than not post from work and
leave a Gmail window constantly open.

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:

> Thank you very much for your anwser (1 line)
> But why adding so much useless text _after_ ?
>
> I don't add it - the company email servers add it automatically and
> there's nothing I can do about it other than not post from work and
> leave a Gmail window constantly open.

Can you get newsgroups? Reading/posting via news.gmane.org is an option
(personally, I prefer it), but not if your company blocks the nntp port.
--
derek

Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Lorenzo Taylor

I wonder if it's possible to allow e-mail clients that can suppress signatures
to suppress the disclaimers that servers put at the bottoms of messages by
adding sigdashes at the end of the message. It should work, at least for the
clients that can suppress the signature. For those whose mail servers add
useless noise at the end of a message, try putting 2 dashes followed by a space
on a line by itself at the bottom of your message. I'm shooting in the dark
here, but this could be a partial solution to the problem.

HTH,
Lorenzo
--
Great Goddess Isis,
Thou who art above the stars,

Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I wonder if it's possible to allow e-mail clients that can suppress signatures
> to suppress the disclaimers that servers put at the bottoms of messages by
> adding sigdashes at the end of the message. It should work, at least for the
> clients that can suppress the signature. For those whose mail servers add
> useless noise at the end of a message, try putting 2 dashes followed by a space
> on a line by itself at the bottom of your message. I'm shooting in the dark
> here, but this could be a partial solution to the problem.

Lorenzo, that is more than a partial solution: it is the correct
solution. Email sigs _are_ defined to be anything after "
--
".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:
> Thank you very much for your anwser (1 line) But why adding so much
> useless text _after_ ?
>

> I don't add it - the company email servers add it automatically and
> there's nothing I can do about it other than not post from work and
> leave a Gmail window constantly open.

I do have to say I find this annoying too. You can use gmail (or other
services) with most desktop email programs (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.).
Of course, your boss may not like that. But since you're already using
your work account for this, I don't think it makes a difference to them.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Dave

Hi - after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen, blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition that isn't on (hd0,0)?

I have posted on the forums, but haven't found a solution yet.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I wonder if it's possible to allow e-mail clients that can suppress signatures
>> to suppress the disclaimers that servers put at the bottoms of messages by
>> adding sigdashes at the end of the message. It should work, at least for the
>> clients that can suppress the signature. For those whose mail servers add
>> useless noise at the end of a message, try putting 2 dashes followed by a space
>> on a line by itself at the bottom of your message. I'm shooting in the dark
>> here, but this could be a partial solution to the problem.
>>

> Lorenzo, that is more than a partial solution: it is the correct
> solution. Email sigs _are_ defined to be anything after "
--
".

Yes, but Flynn's sig exceeds the McQuary limit (as does yours, though
it's a lot more worthwhile).

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Hi - after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer with 5
> HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black screen,
> blinking cursor, no message). I think it is looking in the wrong place for
> the /boot partition. What is the correct way to install a boot partition
> that isn't on (hd0,0)?
>
> I have posted on the forums, but haven't found a solution yet.

You need to start a new thread (NOT reply to an existing thread) to
get an answer. Replying to an existing thread is called "hijacking"
and not only will people who can answer your question not answer it,
but they are not likely to find it buried in a different thread.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dave wrote:
> Hi - after I install Ubuntu (8.10, alternate CD 64 bit) on a computer
> with 5 HDD's, and reboot at the end, the computer fails to boot (black
> screen, blinking cursor, no message).

While strictly speaking this is more noise, you would get a better
response by starting a new thread, rather than replying to someone
else's. Or at least change the subject so you can pretend you started a
new thread.

Until then, start with the GRUB documentation (in particular
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q11).

Why are you using a boot partition anyway? It is much easier in
practice just to have a boot directory on the same partition as your /.

Matt Flaschen