Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Gary Herbert

Default lost part of desktop

I shut down my computer and when I restarted it, I have a duel boot system and I am using Intrepid I get a desktop but nothing on the top where I would normally start firefox or any other programs... I hit F1 and managed to get to google and gmail but still am unable to get the correct desktop.... Any help would be appreciated.... I have tried rebooting numerous times...

Gary H.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Sandy Harris

Gary Herbert <signdog@gmail.com> wrote:

> I shut down my computer and when I restarted it, I have a duel boot system
> and I am using Intrepid I get a desktop but nothing on the top where I would
> normally start firefox or any other programs... I hit F1 and managed to get
> to google and gmail but still am unable to get the correct desktop.... Any
> help would be appreciated.... I have tried rebooting numerous times...

Similar problem here. Also intrepid, not dual boot. Intel dual CPU and
Intel on-board graphics chip. I don't think I changed anything except
routinely doing upgrades.

Problem appeared after reboot a couple of weeks back. Menu bar at
top of screen is gone. Also, display size is now smaller, does not fill
entire 19xx by 10xx screen any more. Checking the settings menu
that should let me adjust that, it does not have an appropriate entry.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Gary Herbert <signdog@gmail.com> wrote:
> I shut down my computer and when I restarted it, I have a duel boot system
> and I am using Intrepid I get a desktop but nothing on the top where I would
> normally start firefox or any other programs... I hit F1 and managed to get
> to google and gmail but still am unable to get the correct desktop.... Any
> help would be appreciated.... I have tried rebooting numerous times...

Gary

If you log in as a different user does it work correctly? If so, you
could rename the ~/.gnome* folders to something like ~/dotgnomebackup
and see if that fixes your issue. If you have a highly customized
desktop this might be a little too crude a fix for you as you will
revert to an Ubuntu standard toolbar layout, wallpaper etc. If that's
the case you could still try it, then we'd just have to nail down for
sure which file is the problem child.

Brian