Old 02-27-2009, 01:32 AM
GaryT

Default Software for Windows Podcasts

A month ago, before upgrading from Fiesty (7.04) to the current 8.1, I
found software one could purchase to enable the downloading of Windows
Podcasts. If memory serves correctly it required later than 7.04 and I
think that's what prompted the upgrade. Anyway, now that I'm ready I
cannot find that same program again.

I'm fairly sure it was published in the UK and price was in the vicinity
of 20-30 Euros

Greatly appreciated if someone knows this or a program with the same
functionality.
TIA
Gary T

Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Scott Abbey

On Thursday 26 February 2009 21:32:24 GaryT wrote:
> A month ago, before upgrading from Fiesty (7.04) to the current 8.1, I
> found software one could purchase to enable the downloading of Windows
> Podcasts. If memory serves correctly it required later than 7.04 and I
> think that's what prompted the upgrade. Anyway, now that I'm ready I
> cannot find that same program again.

I'm a big podcast listener, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Windows
Podcasts." How would these be different from any other podcast? I might be
able to help if you can offer a distinction.

--
Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net>

Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
GaryT

Scott Abbey wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 21:32:24 GaryT wrote:
>
>> A month ago, before upgrading from Fiesty (7.04) to the current 8.1, I
>> found software one could purchase to enable the downloading of Windows
>> Podcasts. If memory serves correctly it required later than 7.04 and I
>> think that's what prompted the upgrade. Anyway, now that I'm ready I
>> cannot find that same program again.
>>

> I'm a big podcast listener, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Windows
> Podcasts." How would these be different from any other podcast? I might be
> able to help if you can offer a distinction.
Thanks, Scott.
The program I want contains Microsoft codecs and they're not open source
- they can't be distributed free with other software, eg. Linux.
They're automatically loaded when you buy Windows.
GT

Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Scott Abbey

On Friday 27 February 2009 06:42:07 GaryT wrote:
> The program I want contains Microsoft codecs and they're not open source
> - they can't be distributed free with other software, eg. Linux.
> They're automatically loaded when you buy Windows.
> GT

You can install the package 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' which will bring in
codecs for wma and wmv, Microsoft's audio and video codecs, respectively.
Rhythmbox, Banshee, and Amarok all support podcast subscriptions. There are
dozens of other tools that can download them, as well.

--
Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net>

Old 02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:
> There are
> dozens of other tools that can download them, as well.

I'm particularly fond of gpodder - http://gpodder.org/

Older version available in standard repositories, latest and greatest
as a .deb from the site.

Highly recommended.

Brian

Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM
GaryT

Scott Abbey wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 06:42:07 GaryT wrote:
>
>> The program I want contains Microsoft codecs and they're not open source
>> - they can't be distributed free with other software, eg. Linux.
>> They're automatically loaded when you buy Windows.
>> GT
>>
> You can install the package 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' which will bring in
> codecs for wma and wmv, Microsoft's audio and video codecs, respectively.
> Rhythmbox, Banshee, and Amarok all support podcast subscriptions. There are
> dozens of other tools that can download them, as well.

Many thanks, Scott.
Impatient as ever, before seeing your message I had searched through
backups from the old system, found some screen dumps, found the name and
bought it online. The package is published by "Fluendo S.A." - Spanish
as it turns out.

The Fluendo commercial package plays the podcasts but doesn't offer any
opportunity to download them (which I've found is often the Windows
default but probably depends upon the way the URL is built). I'm not
concerned - it was terrific to find that Rhythmbox provides all that
capability and already I've caught up with some (science radio) download
backlog.

Greatly appreciate your help.
GT