Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Rashkae

Default Messages from cron net getting e-mailed

I have a script that uses rsync with the -v option. When I run the
script, it's very noisy (as expected.).. however, when I call the script
from a user crontab (created with crontab -e) the file never gets
e-mailed to me. My system does have postfix MTA installed and mutt is
able to deliver messages to user@localhost just fine. Does anyone have
a suggestion as to why cron on ubuntu does not send e-mail of program
output?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Rashkae

Rashkae wrote:
> I have a script that uses rsync with the -v option. When I run the
> script, it's very noisy (as expected.).. however, when I call the script
> from a user crontab (created with crontab -e) the file never gets
> e-mailed to me. My system does have postfix MTA installed and mutt is
> able to deliver messages to user@localhost just fine. Does anyone have
> a suggestion as to why cron on ubuntu does not send e-mail of program
> output?

Ah well, answered my own question, and as usual, PEBKAC.

Postfix on both the systems I tried this on had a custom name in the
myshostname field, but the same hostname was not included in
mydestination. As a result, e-mail sent to a username with no domain
specified were bravely trying to be sent to username@myhostname, which
went nowhere.