Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Default UUID and disk add

Hi,
I took a hard drive from a windows box, formatted in NTFS and plugged it
into my xUbuntu Intrepid.
I dont know what component autodetects the UUID (udev?), but it has
created a /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 (which is the UUID of the
NTFS partition)
Then, I made a mkfs.ext3 on it and thus it has changed the UUID.
My UUID is know: 9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
when editing fstab and mounting the partition:

# mount /malalaka
mount: special device
/dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734 does not exist

Yes, there was no /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
And the /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 was still there.

I had to make a:
# rm /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2
# invoke-rc.d udev restart
to have /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734

Then mounting it was OK.
Bug? Just a side effect of udev automation?
I wont have to plug drives many times, so it's a use case specific
problem. just want to share and know if it's a bug.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Brian McKee

2009/2/26 Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr>:
> Hi,
> I took a hard drive from a windows box, formatted in NTFS and plugged it
> *into my xUbuntu Intrepid.
> I dont know what component autodetects the UUID (udev?), but it has
> created a /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 (which is the UUID of the
> NTFS partition)
> Then, I made a mkfs.ext3 on it and thus it has changed the UUID.
> My UUID is know: 9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
> when editing fstab and mounting the partition:
>
> * # mount /malalaka
> * mount: special device
> * /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734 does not exist
>
> Yes, there was no /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
> And the /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 was still there.
>
> I had to make a:
> * # rm /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2
> * # invoke-rc.d udev restart
> to have /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
>
> Then mounting it was OK.
> Bug? Just a side effect of udev automation?
> I wont have to plug drives many times, so it's a use case specific
> problem. just want to share and know if it's a bug.

So you hot-plugged it? Do you have hot-plug hardware?

Brian

Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Brian McKee wrote:
> So you hot-plugged it?

No. I forgot to precise, it is a SATA 3"1/2 drive.
I turned down the system plugged and restarted.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
Phone: +261 33 11 207 36

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
"H.S."

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> I took a hard drive from a windows box, formatted in NTFS and plugged it
> into my xUbuntu Intrepid.
> I dont know what component autodetects the UUID (udev?), but it has
> created a /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 (which is the UUID of the
> NTFS partition)
> Then, I made a mkfs.ext3 on it and thus it has changed the UUID.
> My UUID is know: 9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
> when editing fstab and mounting the partition:
>
> # mount /malalaka
> mount: special device
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734 does not exist
>
> Yes, there was no /dev/disk/by-uuid/9f04af4c-2e18-4fea-868f-a68991483734
> And the /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2 was still there.
>
> I had to make a:
> # rm /dev/disk/by-uuid/9050842050840EE2
> # invoke-rc.d udev restart

Or, the usual way:
$> sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

I think you did the right think by restarting udev. The reformatting of
the partition changed its UUID and a udev was required to make the
relevant changes in /dev/disk/by-uuid/<NEW UUID>

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Brian McKee

2009/2/26 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
> Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> I think you did the right think by restarting udev. The reformatting of
> the partition changed its UUID and a udev was required to make the
> relevant changes in /dev/disk/by-uuid/<NEW UUID>

Why didn't the reboot do this? That's what I was wondering.... and I
think the OP as well.

Brian

Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
"H.S."

Brian McKee wrote:
> 2009/2/26 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
>> Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>> I think you did the right think by restarting udev. The reformatting of
>> the partition changed its UUID and a udev was required to make the
>> relevant changes in /dev/disk/by-uuid/<NEW UUID>
>
> Why didn't the reboot do this? That's what I was wondering.... and I
> think the OP as well.
>
> Brian

I don't think OP mentioned that he rebooted after the changing the
partitions and making the ext3 filesystem. Did I miss that in the
original post?

ever having been read.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Brian McKee

2009/2/26 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> 2009/2/26 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
>>> Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>>> I think you did the right think by restarting udev. The reformatting of
>>> the partition changed its UUID and a udev was required to make the
>>> relevant changes in /dev/disk/by-uuid/<NEW UUID>
>>
>> Why didn't the reboot do this? *That's what I was wondering.... *and I
>> think the OP as well.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> I don't think OP mentioned that he rebooted after the changing the
> partitions and making the ext3 filesystem. Did I miss that in the
> original post?

Come to think of it - he said he rebooted after installing it, not
after reformatting it....
That was in his second post.

Brian

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
"H.S."

Brian McKee wrote:
> 2009/2/26 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
>> Brian McKee wrote:
>>> Why didn't the reboot do this? That's what I was wondering.... and I
>>> think the OP as well.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>
>> I don't think OP mentioned that he rebooted after the changing the
>> partitions and making the ext3 filesystem. Did I miss that in the
>> original post?
>
> Come to think of it - he said he rebooted after installing it, not
> after reformatting it....
> That was in his second post.
>
> Brian

Ah, yes. Didn't see that post.

Something doesn't seem to be right here. I have experience with
restarting udev with newly created partitions and it has worked.
Rebooting should work just as well since udev is started.

ever having been read.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> I don't think OP mentioned that he rebooted after the changing the
>>> partitions and making the ext3 filesystem. Did I miss that in the
>>> original post?
>>
>> Come to think of it - he said he rebooted after installing it, not
>> after reformatting it....
>> That was in his second post.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Ah, yes. Didn't see that post.
>
> Something doesn't seem to be right here. I have experience with
> restarting udev with newly created partitions and it has worked.
> Rebooting should work just as well since udev is started.

Wonder if this would have worked
<http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/matching/read-partition-table/cmVhZCBwYXJ0aXRpb24gdGFibGU=>

OP - you still here?

Brian

Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Brian McKee

And do you know M-15 ? You guys should get along well :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markku_Uusipaavalniemi