Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Default I don't know if this is where to get tech support.

Stephen wrote:
> I tried to in stall ubuntu on my computer. It told me that there was one
> minute left a about 79% of the install.
>
> 45 minutes later I found that my computer had locked up at 88% of the
> install. I tried to re-install and It wanted to use another section of
> the windows partition.
>
> I didn't get the option to:
> 1) use the existing linux partition.
> 2) repair the current ubuntu installation.
>
> The only option I had was to use a part of the existing windows
> partition, and reinstall the whole thing. Now I can't get rid of to 120
> gigs partition that ubuntu set up. My windows partitioner won't delete
> the partition because it says it is in an unknown format.
>
> When I try to remove the linux partition with ubuntu booted live it
> tells me I have to unmount the partitions that are higher than ext5
> before I can delete the partition and I can't find any way to do that.
>

> Stephen.

Perhaps you could try a partition manager like GParted, that boots from
the CD, to delete all the unwanted partitions and maybe create the new
ones (you don't need 120 gig, just 10gig for root / 2gig for /swap and
10gig for /home ) and give Ubuntu another chance with the Alternate CD.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779>

And yes, this is were you might get some personal support.

Good luck,

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
>> I tried to in stall ubuntu on my computer. It told me that there was one
>> minute left a about 79% of the install.
>>
>> 45 minutes later I found that my computer had locked up at 88% of the
>> install. I tried to re-install and It wanted to use another section of
>> the windows partition.
>>
>> I didn't get the option to:
>> 1) use the existing linux partition.
>> 2) repair the current ubuntu installation.
>>
>> The only option I had was to use a part of the existing windows
>> partition, and reinstall the whole thing. Now I can't get rid of to 120
>> gigs partition that ubuntu set up. My windows partitioner won't delete
>> the partition because it says it is in an unknown format.
>>
>> When I try to remove the linux partition with ubuntu booted live it
>> tells me I have to unmount the partitions that are higher than ext5

This is correct. One of the first 4 partitions are used to make
partitions higher than the primary 4 partitions. So you need to remove
the higher ones first.

Using the LiveCD select the good partition software at
System-Administration-forget-the-name, this will let you delete any and
all of the partitions as desired. You can now make 2 new partitions for
another try at loading Ubuntu. Make a swap partition about 3 Gb and a
big one about 5Gb for loading Ubuntu.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to in stall ubuntu on my computer. It told me that there was one
>>> minute left a about 79% of the install.
>>>
>>> 45 minutes later I found that my computer had locked up at 88% of the
>>> install. I tried to re-install and It wanted to use another section of
>>> the windows partition.
>>>
>>> I didn't get the option to:
>>> 1) use the existing linux partition.
>>> 2) repair the current ubuntu installation.
>>>
>>> The only option I had was to use a part of the existing windows
>>> partition, and reinstall the whole thing. Now I can't get rid of to 120
>>> gigs partition that ubuntu set up. My windows partitioner won't delete
>>> the partition because it says it is in an unknown format.
>>>
>>> When I try to remove the linux partition with ubuntu booted live it
>>> tells me I have to unmount the partitions that are higher than ext5
>>>
> This is correct. One of the first 4 partitions are used to make
> partitions higher than the primary 4 partitions. So you need to remove
> the higher ones first.
>
> Using the LiveCD select the good partition software at
> System-Administration-forget-the-name, this will let you delete any and
> all of the partitions as desired. You can now make 2 new partitions for
> another try at loading Ubuntu. Make a swap partition about 3 Gb and a
> big one about 5Gb for loading Ubuntu.
>
> Karl
>

>>> before I can delete the partition and I can't find any way to do that.
>>>

>>> Stephen.
>>>

>> Perhaps you could try a partition manager like GParted, that boots from
>> the CD, to delete all the unwanted partitions and maybe create the new
>> ones (you don't need 120 gig, just 10gig for root / 2gig for /swap and
>> 10gig for /home ) and give Ubuntu another chance with the Alternate CD.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779
>> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779>
>>
>> And yes, this is were you might get some personal support.

You can safely unmount both the windows NT partition and the Linux
partitions when working from the live CD. Everything runs in memory when
booting from the Live CD. So as Karl says, just start gparted partition
manager, it is a nice graphic appication. I would dele and recreate the
Linux/swap partitions and leave the Windows one alone if you want to
still be able to boot to Windows.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Stephen

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded a partitioner from the internet and burned it to disk and
it worked fine. I started over again and I discovered that the reason
that the computer took 45 at 88% was because I had inadvertently
clicked on import user documents from windows. It was importing 90 gigs
of files from the windows "My Documents" area

I gave it 120 gigs because I am thinking of switching completely to
linux, but I want to test it first. There are supposedly emulators that
I can get to play the few windows games I like to play on a linux
system.

Thanks again;

Stephen

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Stephen

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the response. I have burned a disk with a partitioner on
it and removed the partitions. I have successfully installed ubuntu
8.10 on my system and am evaluating it with the thought of completely
converting to ubuntu as a sole operating system.

Thanks again;

Stephen

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Stephen

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I didn't even think about that. The live version
automatically mounts the windows partition which is part of the drive
where I was trying to remove partitions.

I didn't think of that.

Stephen

Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Stephen wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I downloaded a partitioner from the internet and burned it to disk and
> it worked fine. I started over again and I discovered that the reason
> that the computer took 45 at 88% was because I had inadvertently
> clicked on import user documents from windows. It was importing 90
> gigs of files from the windows "My Documents" area
>
> I gave it 120 gigs because I am thinking of switching completely to
> linux, but I want to test it first. There are supposedly emulators
> that I can get to play the few windows games I like to play on a linux
> system.
>
> Thanks again;
> Stephen

Thanks for your feed back, I'm very happy it worked.

Since you can read Windows formatted partitions from Linux, it is not
mandatory to import all your personal data, just convenient, eventually.
Since you have plenty of HD space, let your original OS remain available
in the disk, just in case, while you get acquainted with Ubuntu. Since
you already used Gparted, you know that you can mess with your disk at
will (providing you have some kind of backup) and resize your partitions
according to your needs (last time I messed with a NTFS I lost it).

As for the games, the alternatives depend on how much a "serious gamer"
you are. A heavy game software surely will not play as nice over an
emulator.

For old games there is Dos Box Emulator, for not so old ones, Wine and
for the real thing VirtualBox, although not an emulator, the second best
thing to run the "other" OS.

But I'm not a gamer...

Regards,

L.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Ray Parrish

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I downloaded a partitioner from the internet and burned it to disk and
>> it worked fine. I started over again and I discovered that the reason
>> that the computer took 45 at 88% was because I had inadvertently
>> clicked on import user documents from windows. It was importing 90
>> gigs of files from the windows "My Documents" area
>>
>> Thanks again;
>> Stephen
>>
>> Thanks for your feed back, I'm very happy it worked.
>>
>> Since you can read Windows formatted partitions from Linux, it is not
>> mandatory to import all your personal data, just convenient, eventually.
>> Since you have plenty of HD space, let your original OS remain available
>> in the disk, just in case, while you get acquainted with Ubuntu. Since
>> you already used Gparted, you know that you can mess with your disk at
>> will (providing you have some kind of backup) and resize your partitions
>> according to your needs (last time I messed with a NTFS I lost it).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> L.

Hello,

From personal experience I wanted to warn this new user about a small
problem with the Gparted Live CD. When I first had Ubuntu, I decided to
reallocate the space between Windows and Ubuntu,as Ubuntu had grabbed
more than I wanted to give it at first.

I proceeded to boot from Gparted Live, and set the resizing of the
partitions in motion. Then, while it was doing it's thing I became
bored, and began exploring different things available on the Gparted
interface since it was what was on my computer screen.

To my horror, when I clicked on one of the things on the screen, [I
can't remember exactly what it was, as it was too long ago, but it was
something to do with hiding something on the screen] the drive light
stopped flickering, and the system froze up, right in the middle of
resizing the partitions. The thought had not occurred to me that trying
to change a user setting on a non-writable cd, which had no place to
write the new setting to, would cause a problem, but it did! [which in
retrospect makes perfect sense to me now]

I had to hard power down, and was lucky in that I only had to re-install
Ubuntu to fix the problem. Take heed, while using the Gparted Live CD do
not play with the interface settings available on the screen. I got
lucky because the resize process hadn't gone very far before I caused
the freeze up, I could have messed things up much worse.

I just thought I should warn you before you got around to resizing any
partitions on your system.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com