-   -   using telnet to send emails (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/25273-using-telnet-send-emails.html)

Kent Paul Dolan 12-30-2007 05:52 PM

using telnet to send emails

> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:18:13 +0800
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dee=FEan_Chakravarthy?= <codeshepherd@gmail.com>

[even if your name is full of diacritical marks or
non-Latin alphabetics, you want to use a 7 bit pure
ASCII spelling of your name in your email header and
your account user ID, or you end up with a mess like
the above as seen by recipients, which is very
likely to get your email discarded unread as spam;
email is still very 7 bit ASCII hobbled, because so
are most of the recipient mail clients and much of
the transport software; this is very much a "let the
wookie win" situation, a battle you can't win and so
should avoid joining in the first place by doing
what the tools expect]

> Chris Lemire wrote:

>> How can I send an email using telnet and my mail
>> server including my name. For example.

> What are you trying exactly? Why not configure
> pine or mutt?

Chris is trying to figure out how to type email
directly to an SMTP port via Telnet, _without_ using
an email client. It's a worthwhile geek thing to
know how to do. Unfortunately, it's also a spammers'
toolkit weapon of choice.

xanthian.

Wayne Walker 12-31-2007 01:37 AM

using telnet to send emails

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 03:42:51PM -0600, Chris Lemire wrote:

Wayne Walker

# Code comments are lies waiting to happen

wwalker@bybent.com Do you use Linux?!
http://www.bybent.com Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
Perl - http://www.perl.org/ Perl User Groups - http://www.pm.org/
Jabber: wwalker@jabber.bybent.com AIM: lwwalkerbybent
IRC: wwalker on freenode.net

Wayne Walker 12-31-2007 01:40 AM

using telnet to send emails

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 08:37:28PM -0600, Wayne Walker wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 03:42:51PM -0600, Chris Lemire wrote:
> >
> > How can I send an email using telnet and my mail server including my
> > name. For example.
> >
> > chris@ubuntu:~$ telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 ubuntu ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
> > HELO server.com
> > 250 ubuntu
> > MAIL FROM: Chris L.
> > 555 5.5.4 Unsupported option: >.
> > MAIL FROM: Chris
> > 555 5.5.4 Unsupported option:
> > MAIL FROM: Chris username@gmail.com
> > 555 5.5.4 Unsupported option: username@gmail.com
> > MAIL FROM: "Chris user@gmail.com"
> > 250 2.1.0 Ok
> > MAIL FROM: "Chris L. user@gmail.com"
> > 503 5.5.1 Error: nested MAIL command
>
> Those are all illegal email addresses.
>
> MAIL FROM: Chris L. <user@gmail.com>

Ignore me. As Brad said, only the username@domain.com is valid in the
MAIL and RCPT commands.

"Tipton, Timothy" 01-04-2008 02:10 PM

using telnet to send emails

> Now if everyone would play good citizen and turn off
> all the noise they're sending, like PGP siggies,
> HTMLized redundant email copies, MIME wrappers,
> non-pure 7 bit ASCII that triggers the email
> reflecter to base64 encode the whole email body,
> multiple quoted copies of the email reflector
> siggie, unneeded bulk quoting of prior email, whines
> about thread problems that are meaningless to
> someone reading the list with a plain text email
> client, quoted-printable mangling, Face, vcard, and
> similar ego puffery, employer legal mumbo jumbo
> trailers, my ubuntu email would be 10% its current
> volume, while being much easier to read.
>
> A little due diligence effort to keep mail bulk down
> and garbage suppressed at the origin multiplies its
> helpfulness when the fanout is so big as this list.

Some of us don't have the option to turn off the "fluff" - vcards and
all that, I understand, but the employer mumbo jumbo isn't our choice,
it's done server-side and after we've sent the email. I am in the cat.
Of those that can't reach outside mail and so this is my only option. I
hate it, but there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

I know it's useless, but I just want to point out, that not all persons
can have a "perfect" setup like you ask. Thanks for being tolerant! ;P

Tim

Statement of Confidentiality:
This message may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.

Kent Paul Dolan 01-04-2008 11:07 PM

using telnet to send emails