Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
NoOp

Default Need help getting out of odd update manager loop

On 02/25/2009 03:42 PM, David Karr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:

>> > The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".
>>
>> Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*
>> compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at
>> different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It
>> appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't
>> just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for
>> simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the
>> occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package
>> that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading
>> *just the package* from Debian.
>>

> In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In the
> future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just that
> package, and disable the repo. If it's for anything else, I'll keep it away
> from update manager.

Have you checked to see if perhaps the package is already available?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=emacs

Also, you can try:
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=packages.ubuntu+%2Bemacs
which leads to a PPA for Emacs Lisp:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa

Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian
package here then someone is likely to be able to assist.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM
"H.S."

David Karr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Ah! I didn't pay attention to this right after it, but now I see that the
>>> new repo is the key to this.
>>>
>>> The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".
>> Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*
>> compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at
>> different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It
>> appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't
>> just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for
>> simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the
>> occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package
>> that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading
>> *just the package* from Debian.
>>

> In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In the
> future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just that
> package, and disable the repo. If it's for anything else, I'll keep it away
> from update manager.

One can do this very systematically such that you can add the repo and
it will be checked only for that package. You need to look at apt
documentation for that. This is a relatively more common thing in Debian
where can be running, say, Debian Testing and using Nvidia package from
Debian Unstable. The key is the /etc/apt/preferences file and I think
you need to look at apt pinning and also the "-t" option of aptitude (or
apt-get). All this, of course, if you want to go down this path. Not
sure how this works in Ubuntu though (mixing Hardy, Interpid, Juanty, or
even Debian); works wonderfully in Debian.

Take a look at this:
http://debian-book-bg.openfmi.net/queue/apt-pinning.html

Trust me, the dpkg from Debian is one of the best package managers I
have ever seen. And it is quite flexible while robust. No wonder
Canonical chose Debian to base Ubuntu on.

>>> Any reason not to proceed with the flash plugin update at this point?
>> You should be ok now that you've disable the Debian repo. Go ahead and
>> delete that repo entirely to avoid future snafus.
>>

> I think I'm ok with leaving it there, but unchecked, if I have to install
> any other Emacs lisp packages again. I'll never forget the impact of it
> now.

Here is what I do in such special cases. I add the repo and then use the
terminal to do the updates.
to update:
$> sudo aptitude update

then do a simulated update:
$> sudo aptitude -sV safe-update

where "s" tells to simulate only and "V" tell to show version.

If I want to install a package <package>, then
$> sudo aptitude -s install <package>

In short, use "-s" switch to see what will happen. It shows all the
details of what will or will not happen without actually doing anything.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 AM
David Karr

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 02/25/2009 03:42 PM, David Karr wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:

>> > The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".

>> Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*

>> compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at

>> different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It

>> appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't

>> just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for

>> simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the

>> occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package

>> that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading

>> *just the package* from Debian.

> In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In the

> future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just that

> package, and disable the repo. *If it's for anything else, I'll keep it away

> from update manager.

Have you checked to see if perhaps the package is already available?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=emacs

Also, you can try:

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=packages.ubuntu+%2Bemacs

which leads to a PPA for Emacs Lisp:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa

Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian

package here then someone is likely to be able to assist.

Those are useful resources, but the package I installed, "js2-mode", wasn't in any of those lists, that I could see.* I don't remember the exact name of the debian package, but it was probably just "js2-mode".

Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 AM
David Karr

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

David Karr wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:

>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> Ah! I didn't pay attention to this right after it, but now I see that the

>>> new repo is the key to this.

>>> The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".

>> Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*

>> compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at

>> different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It

>> appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't

>> just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for

>> simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the

>> occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package

>> that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading

>> *just the package* from Debian.

> In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In the

> future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just that

> package, and disable the repo. *If it's for anything else, I'll keep it away

> from update manager.

One can do this very systematically such that you can add the repo and

it will be checked only for that package. You need to look at apt

documentation for that. This is a relatively more common thing in Debian

where can be running, say, Debian Testing and using Nvidia package from

Debian Unstable. The key is the /etc/apt/preferences file and I think

you need to look at apt pinning and also the "-t" option of aptitude (or

apt-get). All this, of course, if you want to go down this path. Not

sure how this works in Ubuntu though (mixing Hardy, Interpid, Juanty, or

even Debian); works wonderfully in Debian.

I'll definitely take a look at this.* For a one-time shot, it was easy enough to limit the package list to just the single elisp module I wanted.* My mistake was forgetting to remove the repo after I installed the elisp module.

*

Take a look at this:

http://debian-book-bg.openfmi.net/queue/apt-pinning.html

Trust me, the dpkg from Debian is one of the best package managers I

have ever seen. And it is quite flexible while robust. No wonder

Canonical chose Debian to base Ubuntu on.

>>> Any reason not to proceed with the flash plugin update at this point?

>> You should be ok now that you've disable the Debian repo. Go ahead and

>> delete that repo entirely to avoid future snafus.

> I think I'm ok with leaving it there, but unchecked, if I have to install

> any other Emacs lisp packages again. *I'll never forget the impact of it

> now.

Here is what I do in such special cases. I add the repo and then use the

terminal to do the updates.

to update:

$> sudo aptitude update

then do a simulated update:

$> sudo aptitude -sV safe-update

where "s" tells to simulate only and "V" tell to show version.

If I want to install a package <package>, then

$> sudo aptitude -s install <package>

In short, use "-s" switch to see what will happen. It shows all the

details of what will or will not happen without actually doing anything.

It was easy enough to essentially do this graphically. I'll keep this in mind next time, though.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 AM
NoOp

On 02/25/2009 07:05 PM, David Karr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In
>> the
>> > future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just
>> that
>> > package, and disable the repo. If it's for anything else, I'll keep it
>> away
>> > from update manager.
>>
>> Have you checked to see if perhaps the package is already available?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=emacs
>>
>> Also, you can try:
>> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=packages.ubuntu+%2Bemacs
>> which leads to a PPA for Emacs Lisp:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa>
>>
>> Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian
>> package here then someone is likely to be able to assist.
>>

> Those are useful resources, but the package I installed, "js2-mode", wasn't
> in any of those lists, that I could see. I don't remember the exact name of
> the debian package, but it was probably just "js2-mode".

It's scheduled for Jaunty:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon =names&keywords=js2-mode>
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/js2-mode

I just downloaded the deb:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/js2-mode/download>
and installed the deb on Hardy by double-clicking via Nautilus and using
the package installer. The package installer checked to ensure that all
dependencies are met before installing, so I'm sure that you can do the
same on Intrepid.

Now I'm off to 'uninstall' it as I've no clue what to do with it :-)

Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
David Karr

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 02/25/2009 07:05 PM, David Karr wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In

>> the

>> > future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just

>> that

>> > package, and disable the repo. *If it's for anything else, I'll keep it

>> away

>> > from update manager.

>> Have you checked to see if perhaps the package is already available?

>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=emacs

>> Also, you can try:

>> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=packages.ubuntu+%2Bemacs

>> which leads to a PPA for Emacs Lisp:

>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa>

>> Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian

>> package here then someone is likely to be able to assist.

> Those are useful resources, but the package I installed, "js2-mode", wasn't

> in any of those lists, that I could see. *I don't remember the exact name of

> the debian package, but it was probably just "js2-mode".

It's scheduled for Jaunty:

<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon =names&keywords=js2-mode>

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/js2-mode

I just downloaded the deb:

<http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/js2-mode/download>

and installed the deb on Hardy by double-clicking via Nautilus and using

the package installer. The package installer checked to ensure that all

dependencies are met before installing, so I'm sure that you can do the

same on Intrepid.

Excellent. Another important link to save. Thanks for following through with that (and the other things you've been helping me with).