Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 PM
David Karr

Default Need help getting out of odd update manager loop

I posted on this earlier today on the Ubuntu Forum, but I really could use some help with this.

I was running along fine with Ubuntu 8.10 for quite a while. Whenever I see the updates available icon, I always install all updates. I've been fine with this.

Today, I decided i wanted to install two packages, the "dos2unix" tool, and the "js2-mode" Emacs package.* I did them both at about the same time, so I'm not sure which caused my current problem.

I needed to add another repo to get the Emacs mode package.* I added it, but it complained about a missing pubkey, so I added that pubkey.* When I was done, both dos2unix and the new Emacs mode appeared to be working fine.

I then noticed that the updates available icon was there.* When I hovered over it, it said "There are 530 updates available".* Uh, oh.

When I brought up Update Manager, it presented a dialog saying:

"Not all updates can be installed ...", giving me the choice to
run a "Partial Upgrade", or just continue (the choice of which is
ambiguous).

At this point, I posted the question about this on the Ubuntu forum.* Someone advised me to run the following commands:

*** sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

which I believe is about the same as executing the "Partial Upgrade" that Update Manager was talking about.

So, I ran the command line, which took about 2 hours to complete (I saved the output in a file). It appears that only one package failed to install, which was
"x11proto-input-dev". Apparently that package tried to overwrite
/usr/include/X11/extensions/XInput.h', which is also in package
"libxi-dev". When it was finally done, instead of an orange gear, I had the red bang
downarrow, saying that "There are 531 updates available". Big uh, oh.

When I bring up the aptitude GUI, it says again that not all updates
can be installed. I didn't look through the entire list of 531 updates,
but it now lists a security update for the Flash plugin at the top,
which wasn't in the list before. The second one in the list is "acpi",
which WAS the first entry in the list when I did this 3 hours ago.

Now what?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
"H.S."

David Karr wrote:
> I posted on this earlier today on the Ubuntu Forum, but I really could use
> some help with this.
>
> I was running along fine with Ubuntu 8.10 for quite a while. Whenever I see
> the updates available icon, I always install all updates. I've been fine
> with this.
>
> Today, I decided i wanted to install two packages, the "dos2unix" tool, and
> the "js2-mode" Emacs package. I did them both at about the same time, so
> I'm not sure which caused my current problem.
>
> I needed to add another repo to get the Emacs mode package. I added it, but

Which exact repo did you add? Right after you added this repo and
checked for upgrades and installed the above two packages, were these
the only packages that were needed to be upgraded/installed?

> it complained about a missing pubkey, so I added that pubkey. When I was
> done, both dos2unix and the new Emacs mode appeared to be working fine.
>
> I then noticed that the updates available icon was there. When I hovered
> over it, it said "There are 530 updates available". Uh, oh.

After you installed the two packages, did you remove the repo you added
in the earlier step?

> When I brought up Update Manager, it presented a dialog saying:
>
> "Not all updates can be installed ...", giving me the choice to run a
> "Partial Upgrade", or just continue (the choice of which is ambiguous).
>
> At this point, I posted the question about this on the Ubuntu forum.
> Someone advised me to run the following commands:
>
> sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

I don't think there is any difference between this and checking for
upgrades using the update manager.

At this point, if you do
$> sudo aptitude clean

you will lose all downloaded (but not yet installed upgrades). But
please answer the above queries first to see what is going on.

It might be prudent to not do any upgrades till you are clear what is
going on.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 PM
David Karr

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

David Karr wrote:

> I posted on this earlier today on the Ubuntu Forum, but I really could use

> some help with this.

> I was running along fine with Ubuntu 8.10 for quite a while. Whenever I see

> the updates available icon, I always install all updates. I've been fine

> with this.

> Today, I decided i wanted to install two packages, the "dos2unix" tool, and

> the "js2-mode" Emacs package. *I did them both at about the same time, so

> I'm not sure which caused my current problem.

> I needed to add another repo to get the Emacs mode package. *I added it, but

Which exact repo did you add? Right after you added this repo and

checked for upgrades and installed the above two packages, were these

the only packages that were needed to be upgraded/installed?

Ah! I didn't pay attention to this right after it, but now I see that the new repo is the key to this.

The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".

*

> it complained about a missing pubkey, so I added that pubkey. *When I was

> done, both dos2unix and the new Emacs mode appeared to be working fine.

> I then noticed that the updates available icon was there. *When I hovered

> over it, it said "There are 530 updates available". *Uh, oh.

After you installed the two packages, did you remove the repo you added

in the earlier step?

No, but I just tried unchecking that repo and reloading, and now it just says that only 1 update is available (not 531), for the flash plugin, which was probably a "real" update.

*

> When I brought up Update Manager, it presented a dialog saying:

> "Not all updates can be installed ...", giving me the choice to run a

> "Partial Upgrade", or just continue (the choice of which is ambiguous).

> At this point, I posted the question about this on the Ubuntu forum.

> Someone advised me to run the following commands:

> * * sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

I don't think there is any difference between this and checking for

upgrades using the update manager.

At this point, if you do

$> sudo aptitude clean

you will lose all downloaded (but not yet installed upgrades). But

please answer the above queries first to see what is going on.

It might be prudent to not do any upgrades till you are clear what is

going on.

That didn't appear to do much (6 lines of innocuous output), but as unchecking the new repo seemed to clean up the available updates list, I think I'm ok with that.

Any reason not to proceed with the flash plugin update at this point?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Scott Abbey

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which exact repo did you add? Right after you added this repo and
>> checked for upgrades and installed the above two packages, were these
>> the only packages that were needed to be upgraded/installed?
>
> Ah! I didn't pay attention to this right after it, but now I see that the
> new repo is the key to this.
>
> The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".

Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*
compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at
different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It
appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't
just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for
simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the
occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package
that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading
*just the package* from Debian.

> Any reason not to proceed with the flash plugin update at this point?

You should be ok now that you've disable the Debian repo. Go ahead and
delete that repo entirely to avoid future snafus.

--
Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net>

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
David Karr

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Scott Abbey <scott@eotr.net> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Which exact repo did you add? Right after you added this repo and

>> checked for upgrades and installed the above two packages, were these

>> the only packages that were needed to be upgraded/installed?

> Ah! I didn't pay attention to this right after it, but now I see that the

> new repo is the key to this.

> The repo URI was "http://http.us.debian.org/debian".

Be very careful adding repos to your system. Debian's repos are *not*

compatible with Ubuntu, generally speaking. Key libraries are at

different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. It

appears you've lucked out this time, but for future reference, don't

just add any old repo to your sources. My personal suggestion, for

simplicity's sake, is to stick to the official Ubuntu repos and the

occasional launchpad.net PPA. If you absolutely must have a package

that can't be installed from one of those two, you can try downloading

*just the package* from Debian.

In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In the future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just that package, and disable the repo.* If it's for anything else, I'll keep it away from update manager.

*

> Any reason not to proceed with the flash plugin update at this point?

You should be ok now that you've disable the Debian repo. Go ahead and

delete that repo entirely to avoid future snafus.

I think I'm ok with leaving it there, but unchecked, if I have to install any other Emacs lisp packages again.* I'll never forget the impact of it now.

Thanks.