Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Default directory encryption recommendations

I would like to be able to encrypt specific directories on my drive and still access files while logged in to the account owning the directory without having to enter a password every time I access a file.* I'm trying to comply with a (Windows) company policy aimed at preventing data theft from stolen hardware.* (Please let's not discuss the merits or flaws of the policy...it is what it is.)

Any recommendations on specific tools.* (It would be even better if I could also access the directory thru Windows (dual booted or virtualized in VirtualBox, even if I then have to enter a password.)

Paul

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> I would like to be able to encrypt specific directories on my drive
> and still access files while logged in to the account owning the
> directory without having to enter a password every time I access a
> file. I'm trying to comply with a (Windows) company policy aimed at
> preventing data theft from stolen hardware. (Please let's not discuss
> the merits or flaws of the policy...it is what it is.)
>
> Any recommendations on specific tools. (It would be even better if I
> could also access the directory thru Windows (dual booted or
> virtualized in VirtualBox, even if I then have to enter a password.)
>
> Paul

http://www.truecrypt.com/

Gilles.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Fabian Rodriguez

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Jason Crain

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> I would like to be able to encrypt specific directories on my drive and
> still access files while logged in to the account owning the directory
> without having to enter a password every time I access a file. I'm
> trying to comply with a (Windows) company policy aimed at preventing
> data theft from stolen hardware. (Please let's not discuss the merits
> or flaws of the policy...it is what it is.)
>
> Any recommendations on specific tools. (It would be even better if I
> could also access the directory thru Windows (dual booted or virtualized
> in VirtualBox, even if I then have to enter a password.)

If you install from the alternate CD, you can select the option to have
the entire hard drive encrypted. It will require a password at bootup,
but no other time. Dual-booted Windows will NOT be able to access data
this way, but virtualized Windows will.