Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
John Heinen

Default wipe and clean hard drive

We have here a laptop 100 gb hard drive, with windows vista, ubuntu,
linux mint ......
When the computer opens up it shows.
The hard drive is divided into dev/hda/
dev/hda1 nfts 10487 mb unknown
devhda2 nfts 62560 mb 32799 mb
dev/hda3 nfts 3974 mb 3200 mb
dev/hda10 ext 3 2969 mb 2000mb
dev/hda 11 swap 205 mb 0 mb
dev/hda 6 ext 3 6053 mb 3200 mb
dev/hda 7 swap 328 mb 0mb
dev/hda 5 nfts 7084 mb 3200mb
dev/hda 8 ext 3 6020 mb 3200 mb
dev/hda 9 swap 328 mb 0 mb
How do we clean this up and have vista and ubuntu within vista

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
> We have here a *laptop 100 gb hard drive, with windows vista, ubuntu,
> linux mint ......
> When the computer opens up it shows.
> The hard drive is divided into dev/hda/
> dev/hda1 nfts 10487 mb unknown
> devhda2 nfts 62560 mb *32799 mb
> dev/hda3 nfts * 3974 mb *3200 mb
> dev/hda10 ext 3 2969 mb 2000mb
> dev/hda 11 *swap 205 mb *0 mb
> dev/hda 6 ext 3 6053 mb *3200 mb
> dev/hda *7 *swap *328 mb 0mb
> dev/hda 5 nfts 7084 mb 3200mb
> dev/hda 8 ext 3 6020 mb 3200 mb
> dev/hda 9 swap 328 mb 0 mb
> How do we clean this up and have vista and ubuntu within vista

Install Vista and tell it to use the whole hard drive. Then install
ubuntu inside your chosen virtualization software.

Brian

Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> We have here a laptop 100 gb hard drive, with windows vista, ubuntu,
>> linux mint ......
>> When the computer opens up it shows.
>> The hard drive is divided into dev/hda/
>> dev/hda1 nfts 10487 mb unknown
>> devhda2 nfts 62560 mb 32799 mb
>> dev/hda3 nfts 3974 mb 3200 mb
>> dev/hda10 ext 3 2969 mb 2000mb
>> dev/hda 11 swap 205 mb 0 mb
>> dev/hda 6 ext 3 6053 mb 3200 mb
>> dev/hda 7 swap 328 mb 0mb
>> dev/hda 5 nfts 7084 mb 3200mb
>> dev/hda 8 ext 3 6020 mb 3200 mb
>> dev/hda 9 swap 328 mb 0 mb
>> How do we clean this up and have vista and ubuntu within vista
>>

> Install Vista and tell it to use the whole hard drive. Then install
> ubuntu inside your chosen virtualization software.
>
> Brian

But before you try doing the above you must fix the 100 Gb drive.
What you show is not correct. You do not show /dev/hda4 which allows all
the other partitions above 4 to exist.

If you want just one partition use the windows partition to delete
all those partitions.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
drew einhorn

Do it the easy way, instead.

Download and burn a copy of the latest stable gparted live cd
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> We have here a *laptop 100 gb hard drive, with windows vista, ubuntu,
>>> linux mint ......
>>> When the computer opens up it shows.
>>> The hard drive is divided into dev/hda/
>>> dev/hda1 nfts 10487 mb unknown
>>> devhda2 nfts 62560 mb *32799 mb
>>> dev/hda3 nfts * 3974 mb *3200 mb
>>> dev/hda10 ext 3 2969 mb 2000mb
>>> dev/hda 11 *swap 205 mb *0 mb
>>> dev/hda 6 ext 3 6053 mb *3200 mb
>>> dev/hda *7 *swap *328 mb 0mb
>>> dev/hda 5 nfts 7084 mb 3200mb
>>> dev/hda 8 ext 3 6020 mb 3200 mb
>>> dev/hda 9 swap 328 mb 0 mb
>>> How do we clean this up and have vista and ubuntu within vista
>>>

>> Install Vista and tell it to use the whole hard drive. *Then install
>> ubuntu inside your chosen virtualization software.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> * *But before you try doing the above you must fix the 100 Gb drive.
> What you show is not correct. You do not show /dev/hda4 which allows all
> the other partitions above 4 to exist.
>
> * *If you want just one partition use the windows partition to delete
> all those partitions.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
> * * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> * * * *Linux User
> * * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.
> * PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Drew Einhorn

Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What you show is not correct. You do not show /dev/hda4 which allows all
> the other partitions above 4 to exist.

Karl - there's no magic that says the 'container' partition has to be
number 4. And they said they wanted one big partition already. So,
just let windows wipe it all out and start clean. Don't make it into
a bigger problem than it is.

Brian

Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
John Heinen

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brian McKee wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM, John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>> What you show is not correct. You do not show /dev/hda4 which allows all
>> the other partitions above 4 to exist.
>>

> Karl - there's no magic that says the 'container' partition has to be
> number 4. And they said they wanted one big partition already. So,
> just let windows wipe it all out and start clean. Don't make it into
> a bigger problem than it is.
>
> Brian

Thank you all. Now when we download wubi, does it go into windows
automatically and then install ubuntu into wubi?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
John Heinen

John Heinen wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> What you show is not correct. You do not show /dev/hda4 which allows all
>>> the other partitions above 4 to exist.
>>>

>> Karl - there's no magic that says the 'container' partition has to be
>> number 4. And they said they wanted one big partition already. So,
>> just let windows wipe it all out and start clean. Don't make it into
>> a bigger problem than it is.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Thank you all. Now when we download wubi, does it go into windows
> automatically and then install ubuntu into wubi?

Sorry I got the answer "ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron. John