Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   Help Third party app installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/252323-help-third-party-app-installation.html)

Bill Wright 02-23-2009 07:30 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I am
at a loss on how to install non packaged applications.
I downloaded the TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost?
What must I enter on the command line?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Aart Koelewijn 02-25-2009 06:35 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:30:26 -0500, Bill Wright wrote:

> I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I am
> at a loss on how to install non packaged applications. I downloaded the
> TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost? What must I enter on the
> command line?

It is seldom necessary to install non packaged applications. For almost
any task there are suitable applications in the repostories.

If you really have to use a application for which you can't find anything
in the repostories, you will almost always find a Readme and/or Install
file in the toplevel directory after untaring the file. Read those files,
they will tell you what to do, there is no general instruction for that,
it depends on the kind of package, source or binary.

Aart


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 02-26-2009 02:49 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:30:26 -0500, Bill Wright wrote:
>
>> I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I am
>> at a loss on how to install non packaged applications. I downloaded the
>> TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost? What must I enter on the
>> command line?
>
> It is seldom necessary to install non packaged applications. For almost
> any task there are suitable applications in the repostories.
>
> If you really have to use a application for which you can't find anything
> in the repostories, you will almost always find a Readme and/or Install
> file in the toplevel directory after untaring the file. Read those files,
> they will tell you what to do, there is no general instruction for that,
> it depends on the kind of package, source or binary.

Well there can't be a completely general instruction (just as there isn't in
the Windows world), but for the most part:

- untar the file
- cd to the top level of the untarred package
# ./configure
# make
# sudo make install

(and if ./configure exists, but if fails in the "make" step, you probably
needed to install the build-essential package first).

But really, stick to binaries - I can't imagine you're installing much from
source on Windows.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Aart Koelewijn 02-26-2009 06:19 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:49:30 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:30:26 -0500, Bill Wright wrote:
>>
>>> I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I
>>> am at a loss on how to install non packaged applications. I downloaded
>>> the TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost? What must I enter on
>>> the command line?
>>
>> It is seldom necessary to install non packaged applications. For almost
>> any task there are suitable applications in the repostories.
>>
>> If you really have to use a application for which you can't find
>> anything in the repostories, you will almost always find a Readme
>> and/or Install file in the toplevel directory after untaring the file.
>> Read those files, they will tell you what to do, there is no general
>> instruction for that, it depends on the kind of package, source or
>> binary.
>
> Well there can't be a completely general instruction (just as there
> isn't in the Windows world), but for the most part:
>
> - untar the file
> - cd to the top level of the untarred package # ./configure
> # make
> # sudo make install
>
> (and if ./configure exists, but if fails in the "make" step, you
> probably needed to install the build-essential package first).
>
> But really, stick to binaries - I can't imagine you're installing much
> from source on Windows.

Derek, you are assuming the tar file is the source code for something.
This does not have to be true. I have also come across binary files, java
source, java binary, shell scripts and others all packed in a tar or tgz
archive. That is why I advise to go to the top level directory and read
the Readme and/or Install file, in my experience (about 15 years) that is
the only safe advise to give.

Aart


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Preston Kutzner 02-26-2009 08:18 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Bill Wright wrote:

> I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I
> am
> at a loss on how to install non packaged applications.
> I downloaded the TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost?
> What must I enter on the command line?

Bill, what application are you trying to install on your system?
There is most likely a pre-built package compatible with Ubuntu
available. I or someone else might be able to point you to where a
pre-packaged version is if we know what you're looking for.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 02-26-2009 10:52 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Derek, you are assuming the tar file is the source code for something.

No, I'm not. I said "for the most part". There are all sorts of other
possibilities, but a "tarball" is still most often source.

> This does not have to be true. I have also come across binary files, java
> source, java binary, shell scripts and others all packed in a tar or tgz
> archive.

> That is why I advise to go to the top level directory and read
> the Readme and/or Install file, in my experience (about 15 years) that is
> the only safe advise to give.

What's unsafe about saying "./configure; make; sudo make install"? (other
than the fact that if you're doing that when you don't know what's in
there, you probably shouldn't have downloaded it in the first place). If
it's not a source tarball, that's not going to do anything.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Mario Vukelic 02-27-2009 06:23 AM

Help Third party app installation
 
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 19:52 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> What's unsafe about saying "./configure; make; sudo make install"?

That it might be difficult to uninstall if there is no make target for
that. I'd suggest checkinstall


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 02-27-2009 01:38 PM

Help Third party app installation
 
Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 19:52 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> What's unsafe about saying "./configure; make; sudo make install"?
>
> That it might be difficult to uninstall if there is no make target for
> that. I'd suggest checkinstall

OK - that I can buy. Still, that would only work under the same conditions
as my suggestion.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.