FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Deborah
 
Default Installation report

Package: installation-reports
Boot method: CDImage version: http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.isoDate: Several times around Feb 11 '09 to Feb 17 '09
Machine: A beige-colored tower.* A logo on the front says 'Sunpower Computing'Processor: Pentium3 1GhzMemory: 512 MBPartitions: A single, empty, UNIX-format partition.* If I remember correctly, we named it 'Linux.'* Either that or 'Ubuntu.'
Output of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn: (No idea what that is.)
Base System Installation Checklist:[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
Initial boot: * * * * * [O]Detect network card:* * [ ]Configure network:* * * [ ]Detect CD:* * * * * * * [O]Load installer modules: [ ]Detect hard drives: * * [E]Partition hard drives:* [ ]Install base system:* * [ ]Clock/timezone setup: * [ ]User/password setup:* * [ ]Install tasks:* * * * * [ ]Install boot loader:* * [ ]Overall install:* * * * [E]
Comments/Problems: When it gets to step 4 of 7, the partitioner, it brings up a list of devices, which is blank.
We bought a used computer, with the hard drive completely wiped.* We tried giving it a blank partition, in case the installer needed one, even making it UNIX format because it sounded like it had the best chance of working, and working well, with a *nix system.* The hard drive is set as the master, and is detected by the BIOS and something called Ultimate Boot CD.* It is a 20 gig IBM 'DeskStar' Hard Drive.* The computer boots from the CD without a problem.* CD test found no problems.* I've been looking through the installation guide for answers with no luck yet.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default Installation report

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:48:01 -0700
Deborah <miles.deborah@gmail.com> wrote:

> Package: installation-reports
>
> Boot method: CD
> Image version: http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/intrepid/
> ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
> Date: Several times around Feb 11 '09 to Feb 17 '09
>
> Machine: A beige-colored tower. A logo on the front says 'Sunpower
> Computing'
> Processor: Pentium3 1Ghz
> Memory: 512 MB
> Partitions: A single, empty, UNIX-format partition. If I remember
> correctly, we named it 'Linux.' Either that or 'Ubuntu.'
>
> Output of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn: (No idea what that is.)
>
> Base System Installation Checklist:
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>
> Initial boot: [O]
> Detect network card: [ ]
> Configure network: [ ]
> Detect CD: [O]
> Load installer modules: [ ]
> Detect hard drives: [E]
> Partition hard drives: [ ]
> Install base system: [ ]
> Clock/timezone setup: [ ]
> User/password setup: [ ]
> Install tasks: [ ]
> Install boot loader: [ ]
> Overall install: [E]
>
> Comments/Problems: When it gets to step 4 of 7, the partitioner, it
> brings up a list of devices, which is blank.
>
> We bought a used computer, with the hard drive completely wiped. We
> tried giving it a blank partition, in case the installer needed one,
> even making it UNIX format because it sounded like it had the best
> chance of working, and working well, with a *nix system. The hard
> drive is set as the master, and is detected by the BIOS and
> something called Ultimate Boot CD. It is a 20 gig IBM 'DeskStar'
> Hard Drive. The computer boots from the CD without a problem. CD
> test found no problems. I've been looking through the installation
> guide for answers with no luck yet.

Check the IDE drive cables. If the cables used to connect the drive to
the motherboard are not 80-wire cables connected correctly (long end to
motherboard), 8.10 has issues seeing the hard drive.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default Installation report

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:48:01 -0700
> Deborah <miles.deborah@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Package: installation-reports
>>
>> Boot method: CD
>> Image version: http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/intrepid/
>> ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
>> Date: Several times around Feb 11 '09 to Feb 17 '09
>>
>> Machine: A beige-colored tower. A logo on the front says 'Sunpower
>> Computing'
>> Processor: Pentium3 1Ghz
>> Memory: 512 MB
>> Partitions: A single, empty, UNIX-format partition. If I remember
>> correctly, we named it 'Linux.' Either that or 'Ubuntu.'
>>
>> Output of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn: (No idea what that is.)
>>
>> Base System Installation Checklist:
>> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>>
>> Initial boot: [O]
>> Detect network card: [ ]
>> Configure network: [ ]
>> Detect CD: [O]
>> Load installer modules: [ ]
>> Detect hard drives: [E]
>> Partition hard drives: [ ]
>> Install base system: [ ]
>> Clock/timezone setup: [ ]
>> User/password setup: [ ]
>> Install tasks: [ ]
>> Install boot loader: [ ]
>> Overall install: [E]
>>
>> Comments/Problems: When it gets to step 4 of 7, the partitioner, it
>> brings up a list of devices, which is blank.
>>
>> We bought a used computer, with the hard drive completely wiped. We
>> tried giving it a blank partition, in case the installer needed one,
>> even making it UNIX format because it sounded like it had the best
>> chance of working, and working well, with a *nix system. The hard
>> drive is set as the master, and is detected by the BIOS and
>> something called Ultimate Boot CD. It is a 20 gig IBM 'DeskStar'
>> Hard Drive. The computer boots from the CD without a problem. CD
>> test found no problems. I've been looking through the installation
>> guide for answers with no luck yet.
>>
>
> Check the IDE drive cables. If the cables used to connect the drive to
> the motherboard are not 80-wire cables connected correctly (long end to
> motherboard), 8.10 has issues seeing the hard drive.
>
>
80 wire cable on a 20 gig HD? I doubt this is the problem.

These are the specs.:

IBM DeskStar 40GV
Mfr P/N: 07N3924
Formatted Capacity: 20GB
Interface: 40-pin ATA <<---
Data Transfer Rates: 100MB/s (UATA)
Average Seek Times: 9.5ms
Buffer Size: 512KB
Rotational Speed: 5400rpm

It seems you are using the Desktop CD. Try to remove the option "quiet"
from the boot command line (F6, I guess), to be able to see what's going on.

Perhaps you could try a partition editor like GParted to clean the disk
at first:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

IF the disk is not dead GParted will probably "see" it, (and partition
it, at least one root, one home and one swap - ext2 or 3 format). Then
it might be a matter of fiddling with the boot parameters at the CD boot
screen. (My system needs a "pci=nomsi" parameter to find the disk, but
it is a much different situation - SATA, etc..)

(Ever thought about buying a slightly better disk, say a Seagate 40 gig?
Old disks tend to die soon).

L.


--

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com - skype: lmnicolosi1
Linux Registered User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default Installation report

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:16:27 -0300
Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:48:01 -0700
> > Deborah <miles.deborah@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >> Package: installation-reports
> >>
> >> Boot method: CD
> >> Image version: http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/intrepid/
> >> ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
> >> Date: Several times around Feb 11 '09 to Feb 17 '09
> >>
> >> Machine: A beige-colored tower. A logo on the front says
> >> 'Sunpower Computing'
> >> Processor: Pentium3 1Ghz
> >> Memory: 512 MB
> >> Partitions: A single, empty, UNIX-format partition. If I
> >> remember correctly, we named it 'Linux.' Either that or 'Ubuntu.'
> >>
> >> Output of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn: (No idea what that is.)
> >>
> >> Base System Installation Checklist:
> >> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
> >>
> >> Initial boot: [O]
> >> Detect network card: [ ]
> >> Configure network: [ ]
> >> Detect CD: [O]
> >> Load installer modules: [ ]
> >> Detect hard drives: [E]
> >> Partition hard drives: [ ]
> >> Install base system: [ ]
> >> Clock/timezone setup: [ ]
> >> User/password setup: [ ]
> >> Install tasks: [ ]
> >> Install boot loader: [ ]
> >> Overall install: [E]
> >>
> >> Comments/Problems: When it gets to step 4 of 7, the partitioner,
> >> it brings up a list of devices, which is blank.
> >>
> >> We bought a used computer, with the hard drive completely wiped.
> >> We tried giving it a blank partition, in case the installer needed
> >> one, even making it UNIX format because it sounded like it had the
> >> best chance of working, and working well, with a *nix system. The
> >> hard drive is set as the master, and is detected by the BIOS and
> >> something called Ultimate Boot CD. It is a 20 gig IBM 'DeskStar'
> >> Hard Drive. The computer boots from the CD without a problem. CD
> >> test found no problems. I've been looking through the installation
> >> guide for answers with no luck yet.
> >>
> >
> > Check the IDE drive cables. If the cables used to connect the drive
> > to the motherboard are not 80-wire cables connected correctly (long
> > end to motherboard), 8.10 has issues seeing the hard drive.
> >
> >
> 80 wire cable on a 20 gig HD? I doubt this is the problem.
>
> These are the specs.:
>
> IBM DeskStar 40GV
> Mfr P/N: 07N3924
> Formatted Capacity: 20GB
> Interface: 40-pin ATA <<---

Have you ever seen an 80-pin ATA interface?
I haven't, but I do know what let me use an old 10GB drive with Ubuntu
8.10



--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default Installation report

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:16:27 -0300
> Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> 80 wire cable on a 20 gig HD? I doubt this is the problem.
>>
>> These are the specs.:
>>
>> IBM DeskStar 40GV
>> Mfr P/N: 07N3924
>> Formatted Capacity: 20GB
>> Interface: 40-pin ATA <<---
>>
>
> Have you ever seen an 80-pin ATA interface?
> I haven't, but I do know what let me use an old 10GB drive with Ubuntu
> 8.10
>
>
>
>
You are right, to my dismay this ancient HD (2000/2001) had indeed Ultra
ATA 100 capabilities that only can be attained with:

* a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable
* A controller card or motherboard chipset with Ultra ATA/100 capability
* Ultra ATA/100 compatible BIOS or driver

If a decent OS find the last two conditions it will assume that the
first one is also valid. Windows pre-XP was probably more forgiving.

Even though, her 8.10 does not even detect the HD, while others systems
do (she somehow partitioned it), was that exactly what you faced?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default Installation report

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:42:21 -0300
Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:16:27 -0300
> > Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >> 80 wire cable on a 20 gig HD? I doubt this is the problem.
> >>
> >> These are the specs.:
> >>
> >> IBM DeskStar 40GV
> >> Mfr P/N: 07N3924
> >> Formatted Capacity: 20GB
> >> Interface: 40-pin ATA <<---
> >>
> >
> > Have you ever seen an 80-pin ATA interface?
> > I haven't, but I do know what let me use an old 10GB drive with
> > Ubuntu 8.10
> >
> >
> >
> >
> You are right, to my dismay this ancient HD (2000/2001) had indeed
> Ultra ATA 100 capabilities that only can be attained with:
>
> * a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable
> * A controller card or motherboard chipset with Ultra ATA/100
> capability
> * Ultra ATA/100 compatible BIOS or driver
>
> If a decent OS find the last two conditions it will assume that the
> first one is also valid. Windows pre-XP was probably more forgiving.
>
> Even though, her 8.10 does not even detect the HD, while others
> systems do (she somehow partitioned it), was that exactly what you
> faced?
>
> L.
>

Did I miss a message? I do not seem to have seen the one telling me I
need your permission to answer a question here. Perhaps you would be so
kind as to repost it for me?

I offered the individual a possible to solution to a problem. If I need
to have you approve my responses, please let me know that so I don't do
this again.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default Installation report

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>
>
> Did I miss a message? I do not seem to have seen the one telling me I
> need your permission to answer a question here. Perhaps you would be so
> kind as to repost it for me?
>
> I offered the individual a possible to solution to a problem. If I need
> to have you approve my responses, please let me know that so I don't do
> this again.
>
>
What are you talking about?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org