Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 AM
"H.S."

Default skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> However there are indeed video issues in some applications for 8.10
> (i386: Cheese and Ekiga works, Camorama won't - could you guys please
> stop bullshitting about top and bottom posting and help me?) and with

> Skype and AMD64, you should google it before upgrading. My 64 is a test
> install and although I have just updated it (yesterday) and installed
> Skype, I didn't try hard to make the Skype video work.

Which webcam are you using?

ever having been read.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 AM
David Fox

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?

I haven't tried it in intrepid (desktop box) but I have it installed
in Jaunty alpha that I keep relatively up to date (so many changes) on
my laptop, and it seems to work well. I haven't done much with it,
since it costs money to do much of anything with it, and I haven't
tried video on it, although vlc and ekiga both work with my laptop's
(sirius, on Fujitsu lifebook) web cam.

IOW, skype is in the repository, and all it took was an aptitude install.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 AM
"H.S."

David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
>> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
>> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?
>
> I haven't tried it in intrepid (desktop box) but I have it installed
> in Jaunty alpha that I keep relatively up to date (so many changes) on
> my laptop, and it seems to work well. I haven't done much with it,
> since it costs money to do much of anything with it, and I haven't

Skype computer to computer calls (and vidoes chats) are free.

> tried video on it, although vlc and ekiga both work with my laptop's
> (sirius, on Fujitsu lifebook) web cam.

How does ekiga work? Just create an account on Ekiga and that is it? And
does it "just work" even behind firewalls? This point is what makes
skype so wonderful. Also, how do you compare ekiga with skype?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

H.S. wrote:

> Which webcam are you using?

A very standard Genius GF-112.

Correction: Skype is indeed in repositories:

http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/

I wanted to say not in the Ubuntu standard repositories.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W

Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

H.S. wrote:

> How does ekiga work? Just create an account on Ekiga and that is it? And
> does it "just work" even behind firewalls? This point is what makes
> skype so wonderful. Also, how do you compare ekiga with skype?
>
> Thanks.

(the problem with Ekiga is that "everybody" uses Skype :-( )

Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM
"H.S."

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> How does ekiga work? Just create an account on Ekiga and that is it? And
>> does it "just work" even behind firewalls? This point is what makes
>> skype so wonderful. Also, how do you compare ekiga with skype?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> (the problem with Ekiga is that "everybody" uses Skype :-( )

That is encouraging, if that is the only problem!

If ekiga is as easy to setup and use as is skype, I can easily convert
my family members and friends to skype. But some of these people are
gran'ma type users. In terms of easy of use, skype has set the bar.

ever having been read.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

H.S. wrote:
> I can easily convert
> my family members and friends to skype.
Skype???

I don't know the common English word for the Freudian parapraxis, (slip
of tongue?).

But you can confirm in your own text, the strenght of Skype. :-)

Regards,

L.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 AM
"H.S."

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> I can easily convert
>> my family members and friends to skype.
> Skype???

Sorry. Skype to ekiga was what I had meant to write.

> I don't know the common English word for the Freudian parapraxis, (slip
> of tongue?).

Slip of fingers in this case

> But you can confirm in your own text, the strenght of Skype. :-)

I was just reading the pages for ekiga. This one in particular describes
the stun and nat problem:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router

Do you have experience of using ekiga behind a consumer router (dlink,
linksys, netgear, etc.)?

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

H.S. wrote:

> I was just reading the pages for ekiga. This one in particular describes
> the stun and nat problem:
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router
>
> Do you have experience of using ekiga behind a consumer router (dlink,
> linksys, netgear, etc.)?
>
> Regards.

Never had the opportunity to actually test Ekiga, no friends connected.

I'm behind a Belkin wireless (and wire) router (DMZ for me). My firewall
is the default ufw (Gufw) (very nice indeed - no iptables learning for
me). May be wrong but since I use Skype, Pidgin, Meebo and Vuse with no
issues, I think Ekiga would work just out of the box.

L.

-

Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 AM
"H.S."

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> Never had the opportunity to actually test Ekiga, no friends connected.
>
> I'm behind a Belkin wireless (and wire) router (DMZ for me). My firewall
> is the default ufw (Gufw) (very nice indeed - no iptables learning for
> me). May be wrong but since I use Skype, Pidgin, Meebo and Vuse with no
> issues, I think Ekiga would work just out of the box.
>
> L.

Thanks a ton for all your feedback and comments.
Regards.

ever having been read.