Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/251904-skype-working-intrepid-jaunty.html)

"H.S." 02-24-2009 11:02 PM

skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?
 
Hello,

Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?

The Skype version on Skype's website is apparently for 8.04.

In Hardy, I have had to remove, or disable, PulseAudio to get Skype
working with Alsa, but it works. What about in newer versions?

(Yes, I know, I wish Skype would release a newer version which supported
PulseAudio).

Thanks.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Lucio M Nicolosi 02-25-2009 12:20 AM

skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?
 
H.S. wrote:
> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?
>
>
Skype works for me (8.10 i386 with latest Pulse Audio).

Could not set up the video with 8.10 AMD64.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com - skype: lmnicolosi1
Linux Registered User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"H.S." 02-25-2009 12:40 AM

skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?
 
Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
>> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
>> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?
>>
>>
> Skype works for me (8.10 i386 with latest Pulse Audio).

Did you need to do anything special to get it to work with PA? I had
trouble with it in Hardy and switched to alsa.


> Could not set up the video with 8.10 AMD64.

Interesting. Incidentally, the machine in question is actually AMD 64
machine.

Regards.


--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Lucio M Nicolosi 02-25-2009 01:27 AM

skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?
 
H.S. wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:
>>
>>> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
>>> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
>>> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?
>>>
>> Skype works for me (8.10 i386 with latest Pulse Audio).
>>
>
> Did you need to do anything special to get it to work with PA? I had trouble with it in Hardy and switched to alsa.
>
>> Could not set up the video with 8.10 AMD64.
>>

>> Interesting. Incidentally, the machine in question is actually AMD 64
>> machine.
>>
>>
I think that at first (8.10 i386 - early days) I had no option but to
use ALSA, I would get microphone return sound only at the left earphone,
but then PulseAudio was updated and Skype was set to use it without
problems. Nevertheless those configurations are probably hardware
dependent and I might have observed only a local problem (and as Skype
is not in the repositories...)

However there are indeed video issues in some applications for 8.10
(i386: Cheese and Ekiga works, Camorama won't - could you guys please
stop bullshitting about top and bottom posting and help me?) and with
Skype and AMD64, you should google it before upgrading. My 64 is a test
install and although I have just updated it (yesterday) and installed
Skype, I didn't try hard to make the Skype video work.

L.


--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com - skype: lmnicolosi1
Linux Registered User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.