Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
The Gamer's Federation

Default Dreamweaver Equiv

Is anyone using an html program like dreamweaver except for Quanta?
Quanta seems to be crashing a lot on my brother's laptop, and I really
don't want to mess with wine and dreamweaver due to space. He has a 8 gig
ssd, and dreamweaver is such a resource hog. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon Adam

Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Wade Smart

The Gamer's Federation wrote:
> Is anyone using an html program like dreamweaver except for Quanta?
> Quanta seems to be crashing a lot on my brother's laptop, and I really
> don't want to mess with wine and dreamweaver due to space. He has a 8 gig
> ssd, and dreamweaver is such a resource hog. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon Adam

20090224 1550 GM-5

I have never used Dreamweaver but I do use bluefish and geany.

I use bluefish for just about all my coding (ruby, php, html).

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> Is anyone using an html program like dreamweaver except for Quanta?

they aren't that many WYSIWYG editors around.

There is Nvu : http://nvu.com/

and... and that's it.

As you will see in the above link, Nvu hasn't been updated in a long
while, so the "kompozer" project got hold of Nvu and fixed some of its
bugs. That said, even Kompozer is now stagnating like Nvu did. It's
latest release appear to be 18 months old...

I used to use Dreamweaver on Windows, then I switched to Linux and
therefore Nvu/Kompozer. Sadly I found Nvu/Kompozer to be very far rom
Dreamweaver to be a serious match, so I stopped working on my website
as a consequence. If get some motivation to work on my site again, one
day, I would not waste my time and sweat on Nvu, I would simply run
Dreamweaver in a WinXP Virtual machine under Linux (thank god for cheap
RAM and cheap dual-core processors !).

IIRC Adobe bought Macromedia. So since Adobe appears to notice the
existence of Linux, and shows some interest in it... well I hope maybe
they will decide to port Dreamweaver to Linux.

HTH

--
Vince

Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 22:52 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> There is Nvu : http://nvu.com/

Nvu was discontinued. The codebase is now being maintained under the
name of KompoZer, http://www.kompozer.net/ (it is in the Ubuntu
repositories)

SeaMonkey (Mozilla Suite) also has a WYSYWIG html editor, but it does
not compare to Dreamweaver.

Blue Griffon is in the making
http://bluegriffon.org/

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
NoOp

On 02/24/2009 01:52 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> Is anyone using an html program like dreamweaver except for Quanta?
>
> they aren't that many WYSIWYG editors around.
>
> There is Nvu : http://nvu.com/
>
> and... and that's it.
>
> As you will see in the above link, Nvu hasn't been updated in a long
> while, so the "kompozer" project got hold of Nvu and fixed some of its
> bugs. That said, even Kompozer is now stagnating like Nvu did. It's
> latest release appear to be 18 months old...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer
updated Feb 6 2009:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170132
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170132&package_id=194013>

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

http://www.kompozer.net/download.php

--
Vince

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:03:57 +0100
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 22:52 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> >
> > There is Nvu : http://nvu.com/
>
> Nvu was discontinued. The codebase is now being maintained under the
> name of KompoZer

My message made that pretty clear, did you actually read it ?

--
Vince

Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
NoOp

On 02/24/2009 02:22 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:13:51 -0800
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer
>> updated Feb 6 2009:
>

> http://www.kompozer.net/download.php
>

> --
> Vince

And further to my last showing 0.8a1:
<http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/kompozer-0-8-progress-dt1940.html>

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
NoOp

On 02/24/2009 02:22 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:13:51 -0800
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer
>> updated Feb 6 2009:
>

> http://www.kompozer.net/download.php
>

> --
> Vince

Looks like the attached screenshot didn't make it, so I'll just post the
text:

You obviously failed to follow the links that I provided to the project
page. I have 0.8a1 running just fine thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:14:34 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Looks like the attached screenshot didn't make it, so I'll just post the
> text:
>
> You obviously failed to follow the links that I provided to the project
> page. I have 0.8a1 running just fine thanks.

Doesn't "a1" stand for Alpha1 (dunnon, I just assume) ? That's far from
stable release. If it were meant to be used, it would be on their
download page on kompozer.net... and it isn't, as I pointed out.
Maybe in 6 month it will be released, this will make for 24+ months
since the last/current release. So I think it's still difficult to see
it as a very active project, especially since this 0.8 when it does get
released will probably be just as disappointing as all previous
releases. Even Kompozer themselves say it: Kompozer is only meant to
fix minor bugs and annoyances in Nvu, and not more. So there is nothing
to be expected from Kompozer in the long term, for those looking for
a credible DW alternative. Adobe will probably have ported DW to Linux
years before Kompozer gets anywhere.
Sorry for sounding pressimistic... it's just that I have been using
Linux for 7 years now, and it still feels like most
applications/programs either die/stagnate or go nowhere, or so slowly
that it's not of any practical use.

I am sure Linux is all rosy on the server, but the Desktop is... mmm...
well, so much works needs to be done, might as well still be alpha in
20 years time I fear :-/

--
Vince