Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Default how to install 2.6.26 in Hardy for VX-1000 webcam?

"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Hardy has 2.6.24 kernel. I understand that to get Microsoft's VX-1000
> webcam to work, I need 2.6.26 kernel in Hardy. How does one go
> installing a newer kernel which is not already in the repos in Hardy?
>
> Thanks.

look here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

--
J@nek
jlitwinski(AT)gmail.com "Linux is like a wigwam, no gates,

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Nils Kassube

H.S. wrote:
> Hardy has 2.6.24 kernel. I understand that to get Microsoft's VX-1000
> webcam to work, I need 2.6.26 kernel in Hardy. How does one go
> installing a newer kernel which is not already in the repos in Hardy?

Not already in the repos and probably never will be ...

IMHO there are three options.

1. Upgrade to 8.10 [1] - this is the least troublesome option.
2. Build your own kernel [2].
3. In theory you could change your /etc/apt/sources.list temporarily to
intrepid and install the intrepid kernel. Do not upgrade, only install
the kernel and then restore the previous setup for hardy of
your /etc/apt/sources.list. However even if you only install the kernel
and the other packages the kernel depends on you may render your system
unusable. Personally I never did it for a newer kernel but only for an
older kernel from a previous Ubuntu version and I don't know if it would
work at all. Therefore, I would suggest you don't go this route unless
you really know what you are doing.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades>
[2] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/forum/software/CustomKernel>

Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 PM
"H.S."

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Hardy has 2.6.24 kernel. I understand that to get Microsoft's VX-1000
>> webcam to work, I need 2.6.26 kernel in Hardy. How does one go
>> installing a newer kernel which is not already in the repos in Hardy?
>
> Not already in the repos and probably never will be ...
>
> IMHO there are three options.
>
> 1. Upgrade to 8.10 [1] - this is the least troublesome option.
> 2. Build your own kernel [2].
> 3. In theory you could change your /etc/apt/sources.list temporarily to
> intrepid and install the intrepid kernel. Do not upgrade, only install
> the kernel and then restore the previous setup for hardy of
> your /etc/apt/sources.list. However even if you only install the kernel
> and the other packages the kernel depends on you may render your system
> unusable. Personally I never did it for a newer kernel but only for an
> older kernel from a previous Ubuntu version and I don't know if it would
> work at all. Therefore, I would suggest you don't go this route unless
> you really know what you are doing.
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades>
> [2] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/forum/software/CustomKernel>

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried the third option but only in Debian (on can get packages
from Stable or Testing or Unstable), works very well. Never tried this
on Ubuntu and do not want to take that chance in this case (this is to
be done remotely).

The safest bet is to compile the kernel, but is more complicated (I have
compiled kernels myself in the past, so it is not difficult, but it is
complex). The easiest is to upgrade to Intrepid (but it has some
problems of its own).

Will see how it goes ... but I will try to avoid doing anything related
to new kernel till I can install a new version (Jaunty) myself when I am
at the machine next time.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 AM
"H.S."

H.S. wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> H.S. wrote:
>>> Hardy has 2.6.24 kernel. I understand that to get Microsoft's VX-1000
>>> webcam to work, I need 2.6.26 kernel in Hardy. How does one go
>>> installing a newer kernel which is not already in the repos in Hardy?

>> 3. In theory you could change your /etc/apt/sources.list temporarily to
>> intrepid and install the intrepid kernel.

> I have tried the third option but only in Debian (on can get packages
> from Stable or Testing or Unstable), works very well. Never tried this
> on Ubuntu and do not want to take that chance in this case (this is to
> be done remotely).

So, here is what I did.

1. Added intrepid repo to the sources.list of my Hardy machine by
appending the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main restricted

2. Made a file /etc/apt/preferences whose contents are:
################################################## ###########
Package: *
Pin: release a=hardy
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=hardy-updates
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release a=hardy-backports
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=hardy-proposed
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release a=hardy-security
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=intrepid
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic
Pin: release a=intrepid
Pin-Priority: 1000
################################################## ###########

Next, I installed the kernel package I wanted from Intrepid using the
following command:
~$ sudo aptitude install linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic/intrepid

This installed the specified package, no other package had to pulled in
from Intrepid.

Rebooted into the new kernel and everything went well. The following
references were most helpful in doing this:
http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/mixing-hardy-stable-and-intrepid-testing-repositories.html
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
"H.S."

Well, just wanted to report that VX-1000 is working in Ubuntu Hardy,
kernel 2.6.24, after I installed gspca-source and used the following
instructions to compile and install the driver this is on a AMD 64 bit
system):
$> sudo apt-get install python-xml cheese
$>wget
http://blognux.free.fr/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/easycam2-core.deb
$> sudo dpkg -i easycam2-core.deb
$> sudo aptitude -f install
$> wget
http://blognux.free.fr/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/easycam2-gtk.deb
$> sudo dpkg -i easycam2-gtk.deb
$> sudo aptitude -f install

And then by running easycam2. It detected the VX-1000 camera and
compiled and installed the driver. The GUI is a bit unpolished, and it
is not obvious from the progress bar if it has finished doing
everything. But it does say "Drivers Installé !", which I think means
drivers installed. When this string appears, just press "Forward".

These steps were followed from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EasyCam

This was also helpful:
http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2009/02/

Now, the webcam works in xatwv and in cheese. However, when I try to
"test" the webcam in Skype, I get:
Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 1
Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
Skype Xv: Using Xv port 68
Skype Xv: No suitable overlay format found

This is on K8V-M8 ASUS motherboard with onboard graphics card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome
Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)

while using the "via" graphics driver.

Surprisingly, the video does show on the remote skype user's call! So I
cannot see/preview video on this machine, yet the video is sent to the
remote user without any problems. I have given the xvinfo outpu in the PS.

Next up, ekiga. It worked great with Ekiga. Ekiga was able to detect the
camera and video calling worked without any problem. Ekiga is 2.0.12
verion in Hardy.

From some google search, it looks like it might be a problem with Skype
and the way they program with xv overlay support. So for now, I have
just asked my friends to get an Ekiga account. I have tried talking one
of my friends and video phone in Ekiga is working wonderfully half the
world across.

Picture quality from the VX-1000 in Ubuntu could be better though. I am
going to try with 2.6.27 next and see it the webcam works before
compiling the gspca driver for this kernel and then perhaps after
compiling it. The former case will show how well supported is the webcam
in the new kernel out of the box.

Regards.

PS:

~$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "XV_SWOV"
number of ports: 1
port base: 68
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x22
depth 24, visualID 0x23
depth 24, visualID 0x24
depth 24, visualID 0x25
depth 24, visualID 0x26
depth 24, visualID 0x27
depth 24, visualID 0x28
depth 24, visualID 0x29
depth 24, visualID 0x2a
depth 24, visualID 0x2b
depth 24, visualID 0x2c
depth 24, visualID 0x2d
number of attributes: 6
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 2081)
"XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range 0 to 10000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 5000)
"XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 20000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 10000)
"XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 20000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 10000)
"XV_HUE" (range -180 to 180)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
maximum XvImage size: 1920 x 1200
Number of image formats: 6
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x434d5658 (XVMC)
guid: 56494100-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x35315652 (RV15)
guid: 52563135-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 15
red, green, blue masks: 0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
id: 0x36315652 (RV16)
guid: 52563136-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 16
red, green, blue masks: 0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
id: 0x32335652 (RV32)
guid: 52563332-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 32
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 24
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff

ever having been read.