Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Ray Leventhal

Default Why do people detest top posting so much?)

I've resisted adding my .02 to this thread but it really comes down to
this. The list rules specifically ask for trimming of posts in replies
as well as bottom posting. Simple. Effective. Agree or not, that's
what this list asks for and should get.

To wit, this is from the Technical Guidelines section of the mailing
list etiquette page:
> Technical Guidelines
> Proper quoting
> Proper quoting is very important on mailing lists, to ensure that it is easy to follow the conversation. There are four fundamental rules:
> When replying to an email, ensure that the email which you are replying to is indented with a symbol such as > or | (this is usually done from the preferences of your email client - most should do this by default).
> When quoting, attribute the quoted text to the person who wrote it (again, most email clients will do this by default). Be careful to attribute the correct text to the correct person.
> Write your email underneath the email which you are replying to.
> Tailor your reply to fit the text which you are replying to. Do not quote the whole of the previous email - remove any unnecessary text. To avoid confusion, it's often a good idea to replace removed text with a brief indication that something has been removed, like [snip].

The other point is also simple. Consideration. We all use this
fantastic distro and should abide by the code of conduct

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

Key words, for those not willing to read through it are:
Consideration, respectfulness, collaborate,

This is a delightful distribution of Linux, with very smart folks at the
helm. I've been a Linux user for a very long time, dating back to the
original RH releases and while I admire the fact that we've matured as
an operating system to the point where new, no-terribly-savvy users are
now using Linux on a daily basis, we really should maintain some
semblance of order in the list, if for no other reason, than to keep it
helpful to exactly those users.