Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Rob

Default Simple(?) Question on Ubuntu 8.10

Greetings folks,

Here is what should be a relatively simple question, I suspect. In
running KDE in 8.10 I can't seem to find applications I minimize to do
something else. For example, if I'm temporarily done with my e-mail and
want to browse to a web site, if I minimize Evolution and run Mozilla or
Seamonkey or any browser (or any other app for that matter) and then
minimize that to go back to Evolution, I cannot find it and the end
result is that I end up (apparently) running 4 or 5 instances of
Evolution. My question is: When you minimize applications in KDE, from
where and how can they be recalled/maximized?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Ray Leventhal

Rob wrote:
<snip>

My question is: When you minimize applications in KDE, from
> where and how can they be recalled/maximized?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob

Rob,

KDE should support alt-tab switching, but I'm guessing that's only going
to be a partial solution. I seem to recall a setting in compiz to
disable legacy full screen mode that stops the bottom status bar from
being overrun by runaway legacy fullscreen apps, but I'm not entirely
certain.

I'm sure another more experienced Ubuntu user will chime in, but alt-tab
may be at least a temporary solution for you.

HTH,
-Ray

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
David Fox

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Greetings folks,
>
> Here is what should be a relatively simple question, I suspect. *In
> running KDE in 8.10 I can't seem to find applications I minimize to do
> something else. *For example, if I'm temporarily done with my e-mail and

Hmm. You might just leave the apps maximized - or sized appropriately,
and run them on different desktops. It seems to me that you're
overusing the one desktop and since KDE / Gnome support multiple
desktops (I can have as many as 36) then you can remember that for
example desktop 3 is your evolution sesson and then go to that desktop
to do evolution and then go back to your main desktop for the other
stuff.