Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
azeddine kadi

Default FW: please

good afternoon sir,
*
i'm a user of ubuntu, ubuntu is my lover. but i have some problems*with my graphic's card, it's sis 672 series, the society does'nt want to release the driver for 3D. i found the 2D driver but i realy want the other (3D). sis offers the driver only for the manufacterer. i'm waiting for your help.

Découvrez toutes les possibilités de communication avec vos proches

Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Nils Kassube

azeddine kadi wrote:
> i'm a user of ubuntu, ubuntu is my lover. but i have some problems with
> my graphic's card, it's sis 672 series, the society does'nt want to
> release the driver for 3D. i found the 2D driver but i realy want the
> other (3D). sis offers the driver only for the manufacterer. i'm
> waiting for your help.

I suppose you're out of luck. A friend of mine has a similar (or maybe the
same?) chipset and we tried to get the driver via the manufacturer of the
machine. However that manufacturer seems to be not cooperative and
doesn't (want to) know about a Linux driver for the machine. Unless you
have a laptop I would suggest you buy a cheap Nvidia card and use the
proprietary nvidia driver.

Nils

Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM
NoOp

On 02/24/2009 06:19 AM, azeddine kadi wrote:

> good afternoon sir,
>
> i'm a user of ubuntu, ubuntu is my lover. but i have some problems
> with my graphic's card, it's sis 672 series, the society does'nt want
> to release the driver for 3D. i found the 2D driver but i realy want
> the other (3D). sis offers the driver only for the manufacterer. i'm
> waiting for your help.

I would agree with Nils in that you might be better off buying a cheap
nvidia card instead. However, Have a read through all of these pages and
you may get something to work:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=615094&highlight=sis672>

Official driver details are here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xserver-xorg-video-sis
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/xserver-xorg-video-sis
and bug reports here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+bugs

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
"Mark Haney"

azeddine kadi wrote:

> good afternoon sir,
>
> i'm a user of ubuntu, ubuntu is my lover. but i have some problems with my graphic's card, it's sis 672 series, the society does'nt want to release the driver for 3D. i found the 2D driver but i realy want the other (3D). sis offers the driver only for the manufacterer. i'm waiting for your help.

> Découvrez toutes les possibilités de communication avec vos proches
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx

Yeah, I'd drop the SiS cards. Linux support isn't very good. I'm
totally ambivalent about using the nvidia vs. ATI debate. Mainly
because neither are all that stable, IMHO.

But, for the record, I hope 'ubuntu is my lover' is just a mistranslation.

--
Mark Haney
mhaney@ercbroadband.org

16:31:50 up 3 days, 6:20, 2 users, load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Ray Parrish

Mark Haney wrote:
> azeddine kadi wrote:
>

>> good afternoon sir,
>>
>> i'm a user of ubuntu, ubuntu is my lover. but i have some problems with my graphic's card, it's sis 672 series, the society does'nt want to release the driver for 3D. i found the 2D driver but i realy want the other (3D). sis offers the driver only for the manufacterer. i'm waiting for your help.
>>
>> __________________________________________________ _______________
>> Découvrez toutes les possibilités de communication avec vos proches
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx
>>

> Yeah, I'd drop the SiS cards. Linux support isn't very good. I'm
> totally ambivalent about using the nvidia vs. ATI debate. Mainly
> because neither are all that stable, IMHO.
>
> But, for the record, I hope 'ubuntu is my lover' is just a mistranslation.

Hello,

I've found the Nvidia video card and it's drivers in my machine to be
quite stable, no problems whatsoever.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com