Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Unable to install

David wrote:
> I have been able to run ubuntu from CD succesfully on my laptop. I want to install as dual boot on my desktop a Dell 520s. From CD I select try ubuntu without making changes to my computer. The orange bar goes from side to side then from left to right loading. Just before the completion and error message flashes on screen too fast to read properly. I have filmed this with video camera and downloaded to Adobe Premier but the message only occupies two frames and is very blurred. It says firmware file ***/***.fg not found. I can also read Linuxwireless.org/??/users latest firmware version ?? It works on my older laptop running Windows XP but not on my new Dell desktop running Vista. Please can anyone help.
> Thank you

It sounds like there are some hardware on this laptop the liveCD
cannot understand. It may be too new or just different.

Try selecting to load with the simple loader, not the LiveCD type.
This may work but it may not boot up with an image or sound or something
that is causing the trouble.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM
NoOp

On 02/23/2009 02:27 PM, David wrote:
> I have been able to run ubuntu from CD succesfully on my laptop. I
> want to install as dual boot on my desktop a Dell 520s. From CD I
> select try ubuntu without making changes to my computer. The orange
> bar goes from side to side then from left to right loading. Just
> before the completion and error message flashes on screen too fast to
> read properly. I have filmed this with video camera and downloaded to
> Adobe Premier but the message only occupies two frames and is very
> blurred. It says firmware file ***/***.fg not found. I can also read
> Linuxwireless.org/??/users latest firmware version ?? It works on my
> older laptop running Windows XP but not on my new Dell desktop
> running Vista. Please can anyone help. Thank you

Can you be more specific regarding which Dell desktop? I can't seem to
find a Dell 520s desktop on Dell's website (including support). Perhaps
if you can provide us with a link and/or the specs we can help figure
out the issue. Further, given that Dell sell systems with Ubuntu
installed, you might check their forums/support groups as well.