Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Bill Wright

Default HELP - Third Party Apps

I am running 8.04.2 LTS Desktop.
I want to install a app compressed with TAR.
I was successful in opening the file ....from there, I am at a loss.
What CMDS do I enter in the terminal program to install the program.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Andrew Kane

Hi!
I think we will need more information in order to be able to help:

Is the app a binary package or a source-code package?
What is its name?
Have you read the README file?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> I am running 8.04.2 LTS Desktop.
> I want to install a app compressed with TAR.
> I was successful in opening the file ....from there, I am at a loss.
> What CMDS do I enter in the terminal program to install the program.

That depends on what the heck it is :-)

Look for a file named 'README' or 'INSTALL' in the tar ball, or ask on
the mailing list/forum/support line of the software in question. Or,
tell us what it is and where you got it from.

Brian

Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
James Takac

Hi

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 08:21:09 Andrew Kane wrote:
> Hi!
> I think we will need more information in order to be able to help:
>
> Is the app a binary package or a source-code package?
> What is its name?
> Have you read the README file?

Most will have at least a README file and many have one actually called
INSTALL which has the installation instructions for the package. Those would
be the first files I'd suggest to look for in a downloaded archive. Otherwise
one could google to find answers as well if their no so apparent as sometimes
happens

James

Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Bill Wright

Andrew Kane wrote:
> Hi!
> I think we will need more information in order to be able to help:
>
> Is the app a binary package or a source-code package?
> What is its name?
> Have you read the README file?
>

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I am running 8.04.2 LTS Desktop.
>> I want to install a app compressed with TAR.
>> I was successful in opening the file ....from there, I am at a loss.
>> What CMDS do I enter in the terminal program to install the program.
>>

>> --
>>

> The name of the application is Moneydance, it's supposed to be similar to Quicken which is an app I use everyday.

I do not believe the file is Binary. The readme states to extract the
contents of moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz and run moneydance in the same
directory as the downloaded file and run the file from the command line.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
James Takac

Hi Bill

> > The name of the application is Moneydance, it's supposed to be similar to
> > Quicken which is an app I use everyday.
>
> I do not believe the file is Binary. The readme states to extract the
> contents of moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz and run moneydance in the same
> directory as the downloaded file and run the file from the command line.

Assuming for a moment the actual program to run is named moneydance then in
that directory type

./moneydance

The ./ means to run from the current directory instead of searching the path
for executables

James

Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 AM
NoOp

On 02/23/2009 03:42 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
> Andrew Kane wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I think we will need more information in order to be able to help:
>>
>> Is the app a binary package or a source-code package?
>> What is its name?
>> Have you read the README file?
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running 8.04.2 LTS Desktop.
>>> I want to install a app compressed with TAR.
>>> I was successful in opening the file ....from there, I am at a loss.
>>> What CMDS do I enter in the terminal program to install the program.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> The name of the application is Moneydance, it's supposed to be similar to Quicken which is an app I use everyday.
>>
> I do not believe the file is Binary. The readme states to extract the
> contents of moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz and run moneydance in the same
> directory as the downloaded file and run the file from the command line.

Perhaps this will help:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bmoneydance&btn G=Search>

Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
NoOp

On 02/23/2009 05:49 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/23/2009 03:42 PM, Bill Wright wrote:

>>> The name of the application is Moneydance, it's supposed to be similar to Quicken which is an app I use everyday.
>>>
>> I do not believe the file is Binary. The readme states to extract the
>> contents of moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz and run moneydance in the same
>> directory as the downloaded file and run the file from the command line.
>
> Perhaps this will help:
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bmoneydance&btn G=Search>

Sorry, forgot to add:

http://moneydance.com/other
Linux (x86 processor, does not include Java) This download assumes you
already have Java installed. After the download is finished,
double-click the moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz file and extract its
contents or run "tar xzf moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz" from the command
line, in the same directory as the downloaded file. You can then run
Moneydance by double-clicking the "Moneydance" icon in the newly created
folder.

So, once downloaded:

- open Nautilus (Places|Home...) and double-click... the archive manager
will come up. Now click 'Extract' & notice that under 'Actions' both
'Re-create folder... and Overwrite...' should be checked. Click OK.
after doing that you will find a folder for Moneydance (again via
Nautilus) and double click on the 'Monkeydance' file (7.6KB shell
script). Moneydance will start and then inform you that it's a limited
preview and that you can enter 100 transactions. Now for $10 I'll tell
you how to uninstall it :-) Just kidding - to uninstall just delete the
moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz from where you downloaded it, then delete
the Moneydance folder that you installed it into.

Now, go and have a look at gnucash:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuCash
http://www.gnucash.org/
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=gnucash+%2Bquicken>

Or even:
http://quicken.intuit.com/contact.jsp
Ask Quicken why they continue to not offer quicken for linux.