Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Chris G

Default Does X wait for child processes at logout?

When you logout of X (i.e. you return to the gdm login screen) does X
wait for all child processes to terminate? In addition does every
child process get a SIGTERM signal sent to it?

I'm asking because I want to execute some shutdown functions
automatically when I logout and if X *does* wait then this would be a
way to do it.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:46:43 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> When you logout of X (i.e. you return to the gdm login screen) does X
> wait for all child processes to terminate? In addition does every
> child process get a SIGTERM signal sent to it?
>
> I'm asking because I want to execute some shutdown functions
> automatically when I logout and if X *does* wait then this would be a
> way to do it.

You can add things to the /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default script to be
executed when you log out.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:11:16PM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:46:43 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > When you logout of X (i.e. you return to the gdm login screen) does X
> > wait for all child processes to terminate? In addition does every
> > child process get a SIGTERM signal sent to it?
> >
> > I'm asking because I want to execute some shutdown functions
> > automatically when I logout and if X *does* wait then this would be a
> > way to do it.
> >

> You can add things to the /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default script to be
> executed when you log out.

/etc/gdm/PreSession and /etc/gdm/PostSession run before the desktop
starts and after it finishes respectively. That's not any help, I
want something to run *after* the X desktop has started up and
*before* it closes down.

--
Chris Green